• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Chain case bearing life expectancy

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2015 viper mtx
Is there a mileage/life expectancy of the chain case bearing that is know to fail on a 2015 viper? Wondering when I should update the bearings/shaft/etc.

I think it has a lot to do with how you service your chain case too. I tore mine appart every fall and cleaned everything. Set the tension properly and never had any issues. I changed it this fall when it had 6,000 miles on it. Was technically nothing wrong with it yet was just more for peace of mind. I’ve seen other posts on here where they’ve failed within a couple thousand miles as well.

I have 800 miles on mine. I won’t worry about it for awhile.

Is there a mileage/life expectancy of the chain case bearing that is know to fail on a 2015 viper? Wondering when I should update the bearings/shaft/etc.
I changed the bearings on my 2016 at 11,000 miles. The clutch side can be regreased quite easily. I pulled the chain case apart due to a reverse issue and did them because everything was apart.

I think it has a lot to do with how you service your chain case too. I tore mine appart every fall and cleaned everything. Set the tension properly and never had any issues. I changed it this fall when it had 6,000 miles on it. Was technically nothing wrong with it yet was just more for peace of mind. I’ve seen other posts on here where they’ve failed within a couple thousand miles as well.
When you say set the tension right, what exactly is the correct way ? I have two 2014 viper books. One says to finger tighten and then back off 1 1/2 turns. The other book (small book in the sled) says to only back off a 1/4 turn and tighten. Now those are huge differances. Which should I do

Back