• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

RS RAGE Major Promlem HELP !!!

Slush Monster

Expert
Hey guys-
Today on the trail my rage up and died. The 30 amp fuse under the airbox had blown. put in the spare and it started right up,ran for a few seconds and died again. Another fuse,I suspected a wire rubbing some where so I checked the wire harness but found nothing. Took it to the dealer and they checked the harness and found nothing but a slightly loose ground on the battery Put it back together thinking it was fixed. Headed out the shop and going on my trailer it died again,another fuse. They are kind of at a loss but will call yamaha monday. Any of you guys have any ideas? What would cause a 30 amp fuse to blow other than a short, but none of the other smaller fuses. battery seems to be fine. Only blows when running. Could it be the relay? Or could the CDI box pull that kind of power through the main fuse? Any help will be greatly apreciated! I put a similar post on the RS forum also.

Its got a dead short somewhere. If your dealer thought they "fixed" it by tightening the ground on the battery I would find a new dealer....they sure dont have a clue. With a wiring diagram its very easy to find the problem, you just start ellimanating parts of the circuit untill you find the short. Good luck ===SRXSRULE===

Find a circuit on the diagram that has the most draw and you will find your short! Easier way of putting it is look for the circuit with the most load normaly!

Starter motor staying on after motor has started or the solinoid itself those 30 amp fuses are for the starting circut.

It seems like normaly the starting circut would have the most draw but the starter doesnt seem to be staying on. When the fuse blows everything else goes with it Iwill check my diagram again but I think everything goes through this main fuse before going up to the small fuse box. If the starter was staying on would it be noticable? When I went to load it on my trailer everything seem normal. Idle speed was the same also. So is it safe to asume that the selinoid is shot or there is a dead short on the way to the small fuse box? Seems like anything after the small fuses would blow them first. This is a pain!!!

Just a thought... When my brothers and I bought our 03 RX-1s we found that Yamaha has routed the wires up to the handle bars and each time my brother turned the handle bar it shorted out the fuse. I looked at the stop on the handle bars and found a wire that was being pinched by the stop. Look at the handle bar that could be the issue.. Were you turning your handle bars when it died... My 2 cents and good luck

We had the handlebar cover off and could not find any bad spots. The first time it blew I was going streight next time just sitting next time going on the trailer,than again trying to back off the trailer.was it the main fuse that was being shorted or one of the smaller ones?

jim-bob....Seen that done more then once, but I never have and dont reccomend it! Results in a much larger repair but you will find the problem. ===SRXSRULE===

A friend of mine just fried their warrior starter - must have kept running after it started - I was very suprised to see that the fuses didn't not fry first. Starter $330 and not sure how much the wiring and solenoid were. Ouch.

I definitely wouldn't buy pass the fuse .Recheck the wire harness between the fuse box and the battery . You have to look really close to spot the short some times as it blends in with the tape . But I bet there is a bare spot in a hard to see place .

wireing short

he steering stop is not under the handle bar pad its under the gas tank cover you need to that cover off as well as the handle bar pad and gas cap. then follow the wires back from the ign switch. you will find the steering stop in there

Notice from fire vicitm. Look at your solenoid first then go to your wiring harness block near your right foot. You absolutely have a chaffed wire somewhere or the beginning of a bad starter.

Back