• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

RTX? OPINIONS for a former polaris guy

Re: Apex

xcr5 said:
They handle most trail conditions just fine - however high speed deep rollers and launching the sled off the top of big rollers can send you to the chiropractor in a hurry. I do think it handled the chop better then my XC, just didn't come close to the XC in big bump/jump capabilities. The XC lands very soft without bottoming where the Attack bottomed hard! Yea, Yea, I know I need to go buy the "Big Boy" spring, SLP wear pads, shim my skis, dilute my coolant, add a rear heat exchanger, buy plastic washers and expanding foam, and a clutch kit - Then I'll be happy with the sled! Oh yea - need to grind a tooth off the speedo pick up since Yammi want's me to think I have a rocket ship under me.

Sorry for the sarcassim, but it's a first year sled and has some first year teething pains. Just tired of everyone making it sound like there's nothing better on the snow.

Motor is addictive, mid range pull is awesome, Real top end performance is just ok, handling has some quirks, rear skid is plush (maybe too plush), fuel milage is ok, handwarmers suck. That being said, I believe I'll be keeping the sled for awhile and giving a chance after some mods.

L8TR

Not to sound like one of those "Tug Hill" people that think the only bump riding is on the hill, but you're on crack if you think an XC handles any bumps better. My Attak really shines in the chop and for the big rollers launches and lands very soft. It is a heavy muscle sled it is going to wear you out more than say one of the new Fusion or IQ 600's but saying that it doesn't handle the bumps better than an older chassis is crazy. I just can't go back to that sit down with your knees in the air style.

Apex

Difference in opinions then. All I can say is I rode my XCR800/Edge over the same big rollers and jumps the next day and it landed ALOT nicer then the Attack (the Attack slamed/bottomed hard). The Attack rode better over chop but the XC kicked it's #*$&@ in the big hit department. Just my experience with the two sleds back to back - glad your's seems to ride better, but I don't think I'm on crack...

L8TR

my xc800 edge was better than my o3 rx1 & close to my 05 rx1 but the attak has them beat hands down, alot has to do with the riding position. It sound like you need a bigger spring if you're bottoming.

xcr5 you hit it the closest to the head. I have an Attack but comparisons seem to be simular.

I previously had an 99 XC 700 SP. Yes, a bit older but still the XC chassis and tons of power.

The XC did handle better in the corners period. You could just lean further towards the snow (inside corner) and allow the back end to kick out the perfect amount.

The Attack allows this as well (more and more the as I continue to play with the transfer rod) but just does not allow you to lean us much with the rider forward positioning. That being said though the motor is so much smoother and more consistant is all well worth it.

I just cannot see at this point ever going back to a two stroke. (Although you have to be open to it.) That being said it all depends on your riding style. I enjoy 175 to 250 miles per day. Consitency and comfort is what it is all about to me. Out early, back by 5:00. If you are looking for a ditch banger this IS NOT your sled. They do bottom out easier, have a strange clunk of the transfer rod (?) and are heavy.

For me though, I will take all of that for the performance of this sled.

You are just so much more consistent with the Attack.

accobra66 said:
xcr5 you hit it the closest to the head. I have an Attack but comparisons seem to be simular.

I previously had an 99 XC 700 SP. Yes, a bit older but still the XC chassis and tons of power.

The XC did handle better in the corners period. You could just lean further towards the snow (inside corner) and allow the back end to kick out the perfect amount.

The Attack allows this as well (more and more the as I continue to play with the transfer rod) but just does not allow you to lean us much with the rider forward positioning. That being said though the motor is so much smoother and more consistant is all well worth it.

I just cannot see at this point ever going back to a two stroke. (Although you have to be open to it.) That being said it all depends on your riding style. I enjoy 175 to 250 miles per day. Consitency and comfort is what it is all about to me. Out early, back by 5:00. If you are looking for a ditch banger this IS NOT your sled. They do bottom out easier, have a strange clunk of the transfer rod (?) and are heavy.

For me though, I will take all of that for the performance of this sled.

You are just so much more consistent with the Attack.
Very good post, I concur. When it comes to handling nothing and I mean nothing would out handle my 1995 ZR! That thing railed around corners like no sled has ever since or before. That being said you couldn't give me that sled again for free. All the new rider forward sleds with long travel suspensions won't handle like the old low short travel units. The new rider forward sleds are all about comfort. Thats where the Apex models shine. They are not ditch bangers either, they are high mileage cruisers with unreal powerplants that just make you smile while you ride them. The Apex will handle every bit as well as a Rev when you set it up properly but then again the Rev is no great handling sled compared to the old ZR. You can feel the added weight of the Apex compared to the older sleds and even the Rev and for off trail boondocking I don't think the Apex is a good choice. The really funny thing is while Yamaha is working on making their sleds lighter the other three manufacturers keep introducing heavier sleds every year. I am a huge fan of the fourstroke engine now and if you look at what the other three have to offer the Apex is downright light in comparrison! Some of the competitions two strokes weigh as much as the Yamaha fourstrokes. There is sooo much talk about the Apex compared to this or that and the weight and handling is always the main concern. I know the reason why I bought my Apex, the engine and great build quality. There is no way I could go back to a two smoker and even if I have to sacrifice some handling and weight it is well worth it. I buy my sleds to ride not work on or worry about. The really amazing thing is now I can have the engine I want with great ride and handling, maybe not the best but still within acceptable limits. ;)!

Back