• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Running board modifications

I toiled with this several years ago and ended up putting a trail tank on. I think you did a brilliant job with the aluminum bracket that extends upward to allow the tanks to be mounted upright.
Did you go to a metal guy and have him cut the aluminum with a plasma cutter?

Nice job.
MS

Thanks! I was set on the trail tank but I was thinking this would be more versital for a little over a third of the cost.

I made the brackets myself. Cut them from aluminum I had on hand with a jig saw and then finished them eith a sanding flap.

Each can is 1.3 Gallons. The mounting is really strong, no flex or movement at all. I am really impressed.

Some of you will note that this is not a Rotopax can. I ended up finding these black fuel cans on ebay and I liked them much more for a couple reasons, mainly the fact that they were black and blended in better with the sled, but also they carry 1.3 gallons vs the 1 of the rotopax I was going to purchase.
Looks good...you did a wonderful job of mounting them !!!!.....what brand of can are they ?.....do you have a link for ebay item ?...thanks

Those are the same ones.

Thanks! I was set on the trail tank but I was thinking this would be more versital for a little over a third of the cost.

I made the brackets myself. Cut them from aluminum I had on hand with a jig saw and then finished them eith a sanding flap.

I like the idea on the brackets. I had considered that but was hesitant on how they would turn out. You have confirmed they look great. Nice workmanship. And no fancy tools I gather.
MS

Thanks for the comments. These are easy to make, I have about an hour into them both.

You can get these cans on amazon as well. Search Peda 5L jerry can, comes with mount for $89 I installed one on my xtx. Love it. Really sturdy as well. Was surprised

Attachments

• 20171116_204556-1.jpg
    20171116_204556-1.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 105
Nice to see the reviews on amazon but the price is high compared to ebay. Plus the only place I've seen black is on ebay. I believe that in the USA red is a requirement. These also have the old school vent which doesn't meet the epa regulations.

Nice to see the reviews on amazon but the price is high compared to ebay. Plus the only place I've seen black is on ebay. I believe that in the USA red is a requirement. These also have the old school vent which doesn't meet the epa regulations.
Yeah sometimes the shipping can be dicey on ebay and i wanted it before winter was over lol but yes $20 cheaper on ebay

Each can is 1.3 Gallons. The mounting is really strong, no flex or movement at all. I am really impressed.

Some of you will note that this is not a Rotopax can. I ended up finding these black fuel cans on ebay and I liked them much more for a couple reasons, mainly the fact that they were black and blended in better with the sled, but also they carry 1.3 gallons vs the 1 of the rotopax I was going to purchase.

I really like your mounts. Nice and clean install. I like the black cans also. I plan to do the same for mine. Still contemplating the 1 gal to 1.75 gal cans.

I agree Dirt, I like the black cans no matter what... nice twist on retainers too... regardless, I am holding off on any can mounts other than a 1.3 gallon on my rear rack until I see if I really need it. I think there is a lot of "look how much fuel I can carry" syndrome going on if we are honest.... I have a 10+ gallon trail tank times at least 12 mpg (maybe 16mpg) and how many times have I driven over 120 miles before lunch and usually that lunch stop has a pump. We do have a few trips in Maine that can challenge our gas tanks up North but often you have passed a gas pump or two if you end up on "E"... I am still leaning to a 1.3 on my rear rack and if I ever have to dig into it, my bad or laziness for not filling up at the last stop... or borrow some from my brother in law's 10 gallons on the back of his new freeride : )

I have the trail tank too but looking for that extra fuel to carry when I ride long distances with the “Prius” 900 ACE guys I ride with and their 20+ mpg. My plan is to only carry the extra fuel for those rides.

Back