• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

RX-1 Hurricane Motor Build

culvert

Expert
Hey guys,
Buddy of mine wants me to put together his parts & pieces from Hurricane. The valves & timing where all just done by Dave at Hurricane with just one run on the sled & the bottom let go. Now he has all new bottom cases with crank, new Carrilo rods, LC pistons, rings.
My buddy tore the motor down & didnt make note of anything in the bottom. Rod caps, brgs, bolts. So its just a box of parts I have to figure out to get back together.
Is there any special tools needed? We have the CD for the motor so I will be going over that when I build this thing.

But at 600HP I dont want to mess this up. Told him to just send the whole motor to Dave but now its my build.

Any help, pointers, putting an RX-1 motor back together would be great!

I'd be curious what caused the bottom end to let go after just one run. I just went through a very similar build. I Purchased a boosted 06 apex that had beEn disassembled after a head failure. If you haven't built a 4 strokes before take your time and post a lot of pics. Others will help you with problems you may run across.

This was a good motor in its day but I think to many hard miles took it down.
Buddy bought it last year & it was overheating all the time. I took a look & found the block cracked in the back right below the header.
Seen the pics on TY where to look.
So we sent it off to Dave to have it fixed. He welded it up nice & strengthed by extending the head studs & he head all valves & set up the timing.
I got it all back in the sled & set the carbs for my buddy. He made 2 passes infront of the house in a small field at 15lbs boost & was just slowly coming back to the shop when a rod let go.... coolant & oil all over.

Tore motor out & found the rod cap laying in belly pan with a huge hole in both cases, a bent rod & busted piston.
So the build begans again. I think I know most of process its just the crank & rod brgs I want to get right without messing around.
Northern Alberta & we arent close to any shops carrying these parts on hand.

I think I will have Dave on speed dial this wk

Darren @ E&S is very good turbo yami guy, likely has parts in stock. He is always wrecking sleds for parts. OJ's builds lots of turbo sleds. Both of these dealers in north eastern Alberta. So engine has less than 10mins run time, 0 warranty?

No, this was on an 04 RX-1 bought used.
He was pushing 20+lbs boost. Thing never ran right when he bought it, always puking coolant.
So I tore it out found the crack in the top crank case. It was sent out to Dave to have the crack welded & the longer head studs intalled. Nothing in bottom end was touched.
We dropped it back in sled & ran it & then a rod bolt came loose & took out the rest.

Should of had whole motor torn down & checked but he didnt. With head off pistons & rings looked good, cyl good. So he just beefed up what he thought was bad. Now Dave has sent out a his strongest setup for over 600HP. New crank, rods, pistons, rings.

I just want to make sure I do the brg clearance on the rod & crank properly. Or maybe Dave has that set up for us already. I dont know, the motor just showed up at Purolator yesterday. Will be tearing into it tonight.

Well more to the story.... went to tear into the motor last night & my buddy had already started. Didnt mark anything, so parts everywhere laying on a bench. He tried pulling pistons out the bottom???? so now the rings are stuck & I cant get the pistons back up the cyl.
He's used a 1/2" 12pt socket & rounded most of the head nuts. "It Kinda Fits"
He tore the cams out & didnt note the timing marks that Dave used for his HP settings. So will need to call Dave on that.
Then we look at the new block & I see a head stud is bent??? Good old shipping company had the box upside down & all the head studs poked through the box. Now to see if I can use the old head studs from the bad motor.

I really should just box it all up & send it to Dave, or Darren at E&S. I just have a bad feeling about this.

600HP motor on a $2 budget

Im going to box it all up & work on it at my own shop. May not have heat, but its clean & I have the tools needed.
Enough of building a motor with needle nose pliers, set of broken screwdrivers & a 25 piece set of Craftsman tools!

Your intuition is right my friend. Have your buddy box it up and send it to someone who knows what they are doing. You cant half a## anything on these motors.

Back