• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

RX1 SETUP QUESTION

glred

Veteran
I'm new to the Yamaha world, left Polaris and for the better I hope. I now have a 2003 RX1 shorty and would like some advice on the best setup for nothern Wisconsin trail riding.
The sled has 192 megabites and 10" carbides, otherwise it is bone stock. :yam:

- front springs need to be updated to 130#/140# if not done so already, and swaybar and links to updated specs, set front spring preload to 0 - that means with NO LOAD on the springs, the retainers should be *just touching*.
- main spring preload min.
- FRA max.
- if you weight 190+, you may need to add 2-3 notches of preload to the main.
- transfer at minimum.
- go for a ride with a #12 and a couple #22 wrenches.
- during the ride crank down the front limiter straps until it drives like a trail groomer, then raise the transfer until it feels like you have *light but positive* steering. Your transfer rod adjustments should now be somewhere in the middle, allowing you to raise the transfer to race, or lower the transfer for really nasty conditions.

Any way to identify if the updates to the springs and sway bar have been done??
where should the preload be on the front skid shock?

thanks for the info!!

You can tell the spring by the coil density. If the coils are more dense near one end of the spring, then it has NOT been updated. If the coils are spaced EVENLY, then it IS updated.

You can leave the center spring alone, or if you like, you can loosen it off a bit. If cranking the limiter straps in causes the spring to compress by, say, 1/2", you would probably benefit from loosening the spring by about 1/4".

Swaybar, links, and bushings (because the bar is thicker, so the bushing needs to be thinner).

Use a tape measure and check your links. If they are 3", then its updated. If they are 2", then take it apart and check the BAR. The 03 bar was 10mm, 04 is 11. If you have an aftermarket 12 or 13 mm bar, then you can just leave it with the short links, otherwise replace it all with 04.

I have a set of Maximum front end straight rate 2.2 springs that are brand new for that sled. $75 includes shipping.

glred said:
I'm new to the Yamaha world, left Polaris and for the better I hope. I now have a 2003 RX1 shorty and would like some advice on the best setup for nothern Wisconsin trail riding.
The sled has 192 megabites and 10" carbides, otherwise it is bone stock. :yam:

Read the thread at the link below. I made the changes LB suggested and it made a huge difference. Others had similar experiences.

http://www.rx1.info/viewtopic.php?t=2774

I also suggest a set of Simmons Ski's. Plus I run Bergstrom skegs triple carbides on the inside and 4" carbides on the outside. The flat rate springs really do help. If you have the $, then put on a 136 m1o and ohlins on the front. Plus if you have the stock track, throw it away and put on a 1.25 ripsaw. I hope this helps.

Its roughly somewhere. Its a whole inch difference between the short and the long, so its easy to tell.

Keep one very important thing in mind;
There were longer links made as an upgrade to work with the 03 bar, if you just buy a 04 bar and use the links for a 03, it will NOT fit.

Back