• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Scoop on 2015 Viper Changes

The R1 has won the last 3 Superbike Championships. Seems like the crossplane works pretty good. Remember its about usable power not that high number, just like the Viper. Everyone is comparing the Viper to the top of the line 800s when it is a 600 class sled. All I have to say is I am impressed already and this sled is in its infancy no matter what "old" systems we mated together it takes time and will get better!

Superfletch said:
The R1 has won the last 3 Superbike Championships. Seems like the crossplane works pretty good. Remember its about usable power not that high number, just like the Viper. Everyone is comparing the Viper to the top of the line 800s when it is a 600 class sled. All I have to say is I am impressed already and this sled is in its infancy no matter what "old" systems we mated together it takes time and will get better!

The R1 has won in the US(AMA) or whatever they call it now, but where it counts in WSBK they don't field a factory team and finished 35th in 2013.

JP270NYTRO said:
tator said:
i herd rumors of the 1800cc supercharged wave runner motor being crammed into the procross. just kidding but hhhhmmmmm.
I have one of them in the garage now and that would be awesome but in no way possible that engine is half the size of the procross!!!lol
make it a side by side and then mandatory that all snowmobile trails be 20ft wide.

cacsrx1 said:
Superfletch said:

The R1 has won in the US(AMA) or whatever they call it now, but where it counts in WSBK they don't field a factory team and finished 35th in 2013.

The last factory yamaha wsb team was in 2011 I think. Spies won the wsb championship on an R1 in 2009 as a rookie. The cpc motor can produce plenty of power if you have enough dough.

At that level (and above) it's not about power... It's about the rider/chassis pairing and the effectiveness of the electronics judged by it's ability to get power to the ground in a way that preserves tire life and keeps the rider on 2 wheels as much as possible.

Why are we comparing motorcycle engines to snowmobile engines again??

wot-75 said:
cacsrx1 said:
Superfletch said:

The last factory yamaha wsb team was in 2011 I think. Spies won the wsb championship on an R1 in 2009 as a rookie. The cpc motor can produce plenty of power if you have enough dough.

At that level (and above) it's not about power... It's about the rider/chassis pairing and the effectiveness of the electronics judged by it's ability to get power to the ground in a way that preserves tire life and keeps the rider on 2 wheels as much as possible.

Why are we comparing motorcycle engines to snowmobile engines again??

.......because somebody wanted the 850 crossplane in a sled.

And you don't want one? It would make a great sled motor, and it's got to be a lighter mill than the nytro motor.

I had a longer reply typed on the 09 r1s dominance in its first year on wsbk, British sbk, and that is also the year hayes figured superbikes out, and the r1 came in 2nd to mladin in the unobtanium years of gsxr dominance. Pretty damn impressive if you ask me.

horkn said:
And you don't want one? It would make a great sled motor, and it's got to be a lighter mill than the nytro motor.

I had a longer reply typed on the 09 r1s dominance in its first year on wsbk, British sbk, and that is also the year hayes figured superbikes out, and the r1 came in 2nd to mladin in the unobtanium years of gsxr dominance. Pretty damn impressive if you ask me.[/quot

Another medium powered trail/crossover/Mtn sled is not what Yamaha needs they have plenty of them already. Its 2014 now and R1's are the least competitive in the literbike market and have been for the last couple years.

A new medium powered trail sled is exactly what they need! If they had a 100 hp machine in a decent chassis that was comfortable aka not the phazer, they would sell tons of them. I for one would buy one for my wife and I know a lot of others waiting for this exact sled.

Yamacat21 said:
A new medium powered trail sled is exactly what they need! If they had a 100 hp machine in a decent chassis that was comfortable aka not the phazer, they would sell tons of them. I for one would buy one for my wife and I know a lot of others waiting for this exact sled.

X2. :Rockon:

Heck even at 85hp the Phazer is fun just needs a better chassis and a price that is low. I wanted a 100hp for Phazer since the SnoPro 500 seems to have more but it could just be the chassis that gives it a big advantage over Phazer. Youngsters wont buy a sled that pretty much created a class of racing and then became obsolete when it got its butt kicked. Even 5hp more is a big improvement if they can do that and keep it around $7000 which you can buy Indy 600's and SnoPro500 for all day long. It will sell. Its our future. Finance it with a high dollar high hp 4cyl mountain and max speed sled. I consider the Viper and Vector to be the mid class sleds. Like said. Thats covered.

cacsrx1 said:
Its 2014 now and R1's are the least competitive in the literbike market and have been for the last couple years.

Tell that to josh Hayes, josh herrin, martin Cardenas, Blake young, tommy and roger Hayden. I'd name more, but I think my point has been made.

x2 and the sound is enough to justify it. Face it almost all of us here would never use the full potential of a R1 in a bike but we would in a sled no doubt!

Yamacat21 said:
I being a die hard yammie guy waiting for a sled like this is driving me crazy. Come on yammie, please don't make me buy the doo 900 Ace. Now that's a sled my wife and I could enjoy..... I'm giving them one more year. 2016ish ?????? MM. :-o :-o

Back