• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Scoop on 2015 Viper Changes

cacsrx1 said:
wot-75 said:
cacsrx1 said:
Superfletch said:
The R1 has won the last 3 Superbike Championships. Seems like the crossplane works pretty good. Remember its about usable power not that high number, just like the Viper. Everyone is comparing the Viper to the top of the line 800s when it is a 600 class sled. All I have to say is I am impressed already and this sled is in its infancy no matter what "old" systems we mated together it takes time and will get better!

The R1 has won in the US(AMA) or whatever they call it now, but where it counts in WSBK they don't field a factory team and finished 35th in 2013.

The last factory yamaha wsb team was in 2011 I think. Spies won the wsb championship on an R1 in 2009 as a rookie. The cpc motor can produce plenty of power if you have enough dough.

At that level (and above) it's not about power... It's about the rider/chassis pairing and the effectiveness of the electronics judged by it's ability to get power to the ground in a way that preserves tire life and keeps the rider on 2 wheels as much as possible.

Why are we comparing motorcycle engines to snowmobile engines again??

.......because somebody wanted the 850 crossplane in a sled.

Yes, some people do want a new motor in Yamaha sleds, this particular motor would fit very nicely in the 100 to 110 hp range since that is what it produces. I do not think anyone cares that the 850 will not produce 170hp because that is not what is being asked of it.

TestMaster said:
Yamacat21 said:
A new medium powered trail sled is exactly what they need! If they had a 100 hp machine in a decent chassis that was comfortable aka not the phazer, they would sell tons of them. I for one would buy one for my wife and I know a lot of others waiting for this exact sled.

X2. :Rockon:

X3

horkn said:
cacsrx1 said:
Its 2014 now and R1's are the least competitive in the literbike market and have been for the last couple years.

Tell that to josh Hayes, josh herrin, martin Cardenas, Blake young, tommy and roger Hayden. I'd name more, but I think my point has been made.
How many private guys are racing R1's....next to zero, they can buy any bike they want. Throw enough money at something and hire the best riders you can afford and you should win, it doesn't mean its the best product. Yamaha/Rossi is a perfect example.

In my part of the world the Nyro/Viper are the medium power sleds. If you walk into a Cat, Doo or Poo show room and start looking at 600's a salesman walks up and his first question is "are you looking for one for the wife or the kids". The Phazer is considered a bigger Sno Scoot.

Nytros rule said:
In my part of the world the Nyro/Viper are the medium power sleds. If you walk into a Cat, Doo or Poo show room and start looking at 600's a salesman walks up and his first question is "are you looking for one for the wife or the kids". The Phazer is considered a bigger Sno Scoot.
Exactly.....around here 800's sell at least 50:1 vs anything else.

WOW, sled motors are about TORQUE not horsepower at least for mountain sleds. That is what makes the Viper fun to ride is the instant torque. Now before SJ chimes in about 2 stroke Cats having more torque you have to understand torque curves and at what RPM range they kick in. Example? Put a 500hp chev small block in your sled hauler with a four place tralier on the back and see how fast you make it over Vail Pass........................

As a rough rule of thumb horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you. Now equate that to 2 foot deep powder and churning a track to get through it, takes torque. For you guys that run flatland of course torque is not what matters to you but horsepower but my post is about mountain sleds.

Bike motors unless huge bike or pulling a trailer need more Hp than torque so trying to equate a winning bike motor to a mountain sled motor seems silly to me.

Nytros rule said:

Heh, a quick trip on my 160hp long track Phazer might change your mind. :sled1:

stingray719 said:
WOW, sled motors are about TORQUE not horsepower at least for mountain sleds. That is what makes the Viper fun to ride is the instant torque. Now before SJ chimes in about 2 stroke Cats having more torque you have to understand torque curves and at what RPM range they kick in. Example? Put a 500hp chev small block in your sled hauler with a four place tralier on the back and see how fast you make it over Vail Pass........................

As a rough rule of thumb horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you. Now equate that to 2 foot deep powder and churning a track to get through it, takes torque. For you guys that run flatland of course torque is not what matters to you but horsepower but my post is about mountain sleds.

Bike motors unless huge bike or pulling a trailer need more Hp than torque so trying to equate a winning bike motor to a mountain sled motor seems silly to me.

Winning bike motors are in Yamahas flagship sled until this very day......they are just from the 1998-2002 era. Unless boosted the Nytro engine is a turd for moutains at elevation no matter how much torque it makes in NA form.

cacsrx1 said:
stingray719 said:

Winning bike motors are in Yamahas flagship sled until this very day......they are just from the 1998-2002 era. Unless boosted the Nytro engine is a turd for moutains at elevation no matter how much torque it makes in NA form.

I guess we disagree, we ride at 9k to 12k every weekend and like the Nytro torque. Not sure if you had your clutching set if you rode here. But in our Nytros we had a superlightweight (541 wet) with air, exhaust, and controller mods that rocked. Had another nytro 280hp supercharged....lol. Now the Viper and in the trees the instant torque is more liked by me than the 155hp Cat motor. Opinions I guess.

Agree to disagree. All I want from Yamaha is something competitive out for the box to everybodys 800 sleds. I don't want to have to mod the crap out of it and work harder to ride it and still be behind.

I love when my two stroke buddies ask me if I miss my 150hp 800. NOT AT ALL!!! Anyone who thinks 135 hp four stroke has less power than a 150 hp two stroke has not spent any time on a four stroke.

cacsrx1 said:
Agree to disagree. All I want from Yamaha is something competitive out for the box to everybodys 800 sleds. I don't want to have to mod the crap out of it and work harder to ride it and still be behind.
X2

red dog said:
cacsrx1 said:
X2
I don't know what's not competitive about the viper. The only place it won't shine is on the lakes. I'd go up against any 800 through the twisties any time.

Yamacat21 said:
red dog said:
cacsrx1 said:
X2
I don't know what's not competitive about the viper. The only place it won't shine is on the lakes. I'd go up against any 800 through the twisties any time.

I would like it to shine on the lake/river too.

red dog said:
Yamacat21 said:
red dog said:
cacsrx1 said:
X2

I would like it to shine on the lake/river too.
That's what the apex is for, yes it needs updates but not much out there can touch it.

Back