• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Screwed up today on a climb, couldn't turn out

hearnoevil

Expert
I find my sled almost impossible to turn out of a climb, so 90% of the time I go big or stick on the side of a hill.

Today I screwed up, there was hard snow under the snow and i hit it. When I went to try and turn out it was to late the track spun under me, I kept the sled to bar and went backwards faster then I went up. Was able to keep it straight and didn't loose it. I was lucky.

But anyway I'm gonna have to improve my turn out, I always feel the sled is gonna tip over unless I put 2 legs on one side of the board. How can I fix this, go wider, no sway bar?

This dam mavrick track gotta go, it should of gave me some traction.

hearnoevil

Removing the sway bar helps alot.
Not sure what your ski stance is, but I would keep it narrow. The idea is you want to be able to lay the sled in to the hill side and have it up on one (the up hill) ski as you do your turn out.
Staying in the throttle while your turning out helps a lot also, by allowing the sled to turn sharper.

I know it sounds harsh, but turn out earlier. It's better than having to dig out.. I often stand or jump from board to board. Or have my right leg on the left board or vice versa depending on the situation. The more narrow the stance the easier it is to roll.

hearnoevil said:
Can I remove it without cutting it up.

Yes it will come out if you remove the mounts that attach the sway bar to the subframe. ;)!
They are held in place with allen head bolts, 6mm I believe. You'll want to use a high quality allen wrench as the bolts are really tight and you don't want to round them out.

Narrow ski stance and removing the sway bar will help alot. Of course you'll need better shocks once the sway bar goes. In my own opinion mountain sleds should not have sway bars. Weight on the uphill side of the sled is a must no matter what sled your riding when turning out.

hearnoevil

Its the front end of these nytro's. Spindles are too close to the track. I was doing a major technical (read loosing it meant a roll to the trees) side hill on my xtx and I couldn't get it to stop climbing. Puts you in an aweful postion when you can't bail out or control the climb.

Put the skinz front end on. I did on my 153 and all BS aside, its like two totally different sleds. Predictable and more importantly you can steer it anywhere you want to go.

You would think someone in Yami would notice this and fix it, but thankfully aftermarket exists.

Powerclaw or CE on track choices, but I'd do the front end first, it simply makes the sled a dream to ride.

OTM

I agree with OTM wholeheartedly. I find myself doing a lot of things with this front end still centered on the sled that I had to be full on laid out on one side to get it to do before. It makes a big difference in the sled.

Back