• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

sd_42 error and a ton more miles on odometer.??

John Leo

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2017 Sidewinder BT-X
Hello all,
I have a 2017 Yamaha Sidewinder B-TX that had 980 miles on it before my ride today(I have proof because I just picked it up yesterday from the dealer after having a warranty reverse actuator installed(miles and date are on my copy of the repair order). I noticed a bit into my ride that the gauge was reading sd_42 error and promptly stopped to google search it. I obviously came up with the fault(vehicle speed sensor) and started to look around under the hood/side panels for anything obvious. I didn’t see anything and the sled was running fine so I decided that I would put the body work back on and finish out the day. I got back on the sled/ready to go again and it was just then I noticed that the black strip in the chain case had come off and was sitting in front of my foot. I zip tied it out of the way for the rest of my ride and when I got home I checked online and happened to see that this isn’t all that uncommon of an issue on these sleds. Others suggested putting a small amount of silicone on it(around the edges like the factory does) and re-mount it. I did just that and the code was no longer reading on the dash so I was pleased it was an easy fix.

Here is the kicker, the sled now reads 2100 miles on the odometer! I can’t for the life of me understand how/why it is displaying that many miles! And I did triple check to make sure it was set/displaying the odometer in miles, not kilometers. Anyone else had this issue as well?

Thanks,
-John

Attachments

• 003A8DF4-F2D9-42F9-8518-1503B147DF6C.jpeg
    003A8DF4-F2D9-42F9-8518-1503B147DF6C.jpeg
    103 KB · Views: 85

I had a similar thing with the miles going up all of a sudden...it was right after a tuned mine; but mine never showed a code. Mine added an extra 560 miles all of a sudden last year. So now I have to always subtract 560 miles to know what my mileage is lol.

I have the same issue with my 2017. last year with 2 days to go in a backpack trip the sensor fell off. i had to ride for 2 days at 261mph. put about 2000 extra miles on it. dealer is looking into a resolution but I'm also waiting for a drive axle. will post when i find out more.

I have the same issue with my 2017. last year with 2 days to go in a backpack trip the sensor fell off. i had to ride for 2 days at 261mph. put about 2000 extra miles on it. dealer is looking into a resolution but I'm also waiting for a drive axle. will post when i find out more.[/QUOTE

One of my 17 Sidewinders had the speed sensor fall off while riding, The speedo first showed 0 mph but then changed to 262 mph and flashed the code. I stopped the sled and you could see the miles racking up at 262 mph without even moving, engine was running only.Was able to rig a wound up short bungee to hold the sensor to the side of the gearbox , I wedged the bungee between the sensor and the frame support and it worked perfectly for the rest of the day. Have since re attached the sensor with RTV silicone.
My experience only added about 10 miles of extra miles.

I have the same issue with my 2017. last year with 2 days to go in a backpack trip the sensor fell off. i had to ride for 2 days at 261mph. put about 2000 extra miles on it. dealer is looking into a resolution but I'm also waiting for a drive axle. will post when i find out more.
Thanks!

-John

Oh, and forgot to mention the 2nd kick to the gut... warranty expired Feb. 1st, 2020(the same day all of this happened) but didn’t notice the mileage issue until after the dealer was closed on Saturday for the weekend.

-John

Oh, and forgot to mention the 2nd kick to the gut... warranty expired Feb. 1st, 2020(the same day all of this happened) but didn’t notice the mileage issue until after the dealer was closed on Saturday for the weekend.

-John

Dam, you should have gotten the extra 4 year warranty Yamaha Offers.

Hello all,
I have a 2017 Yamaha Sidewinder B-TX that had 980 miles on it before my ride today(I have proof because I just picked it up yesterday from the dealer after having a warranty reverse actuator installed(miles and date are on my copy of the repair order). I noticed a bit into my ride that the gauge was reading sd_42 error and promptly stopped to google search it. I obviously came up with the fault(vehicle speed sensor) and started to look around under the hood/side panels for anything obvious. I didn’t see anything and the sled was running fine so I decided that I would put the body work back on and finish out the day. I got back on the sled/ready to go again and it was just then I noticed that the black strip in the chain case had come off and was sitting in front of my foot. I zip tied it out of the way for the rest of my ride and when I got home I checked online and happened to see that this isn’t all that uncommon of an issue on these sleds. Others suggested putting a small amount of silicone on it(around the edges like the factory does) and re-mount it. I did just that and the code was no longer reading on the dash so I was pleased it was an easy fix.

Here is the kicker, the sled now reads 2100 miles on the odometer! I can’t for the life of me understand how/why it is displaying that many miles! And I did triple check to make sure it was set/displaying the odometer in miles, not kilometers. Anyone else had this issue as well?

Thanks,
-John

I had a similar issue with my Sidewinder and it automatically added 10,000km to the odometer from the trailer across the parking lot to my dealer! My dealer ended up ordering me a new gauge cluster. The vehicle speed sensor detached itself.

The sled threw a Code 26 yesterday and after I cleared the code and re-flashed my mileage went from 4,200 to 6880. Tried another re-flash and it changed again to 6707. :(

Back