• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Secondary Clutch Bearing Change Out

13XTX

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2013 Yamaha Nytro XTX 1.75
anyone have any information on changing the bearing behind the secondary clutch on a 2013 Yamaha Nytro XTX 1.75?

If my memory serves me - there is a breakdown in the FAQ of tearing apart the chain case, which includes the secondary bearing.

To get that bearing out, the chain case has to be opened up, gears and chain removed, plus clip that holds the upper bearing in place.
Secondary has to come off, and clip that holds the bearing in. By tapping the jack shaft on the chaincase side, the entire jack shaft comes through with the bearing on the shaft.
MS

Ok I was hoping I didn't have to get into the chain case to change that bearing

Mr Sled posted the schematic on an alternative post here. Apparently taking just the bearing out can be tricky without opening the chaincase. I had my dealer change it a few years ago and they damaged something trying to pluck that bearing out and then had to order a part. Sled was laid up for another week.... In the end the chaincase had to be opened etc.

A lot of guys have had great bearing life by removing the seal, repacking and resealing. I think I read on here once a guy got 8 years out of that bearing by just repacking every year.

Let us know what you decide.
MS

Yeah I wasent sure if it's a tapered bearing like on my old rx1, I have everything apart (not the chain case) but the bearing seems to be stuck on the shaft

It can be stubborn Don't know what to tell you.
It has never worked for me. I ended up pulling everything apart.

When my dealer got 'goosed' last time he did it, that was my warning that I would be way out of my league.
Good luck
MS

well thats what i just did was pull everything apart, the bearing was very tight to get off its almost close to size on size (bearing/shaft), for installing the new one I'm going to put the shaft in the freezer and hopefully it will slide on easier! while i have the chain case open I'm going to change bearings and seals in their, going to pick up the bearings at the local bearing shop and seals as well, i do not believe that the bearing is a tapered bearing like on my old RX1, i also found that using zip ties through the gears with the order the spacers and shims come out is very helpful, this is my first time doing it but doesn't seem to be that difficult, only concern i have have with putting it together is the reverse mechanism and getting it to line up inside the grove on the bottom gear, will deal with that when we get their!!!

I have a 2x6 with small dowels on it. As I take it apart I stack the parts on the dowel. So when it goes back together I just follow the order they are stacked in

Yes getting the reverse mech in the grooves is tricky but not impossible

There is a good video on you tube of a Quebec guy taking apart and putting together a vector chain case. It's a 5 or 6 part video. Worth the watch
Ms

If my memory serves me - there is a breakdown in the FAQ of tearing apart the chain case, which includes the secondary bearing.

To get that bearing out, the chain case has to be opened up, gears and chain removed, plus clip that holds the upper bearing in place.
Secondary has to come off, and clip that holds the bearing in. By tapping the jack shaft on the chaincase side, the entire jack shaft comes through with the bearing on the shaft.
MS

Once you complete all the steps listed above by Sevey the bearing is pressed onto the shaft. You'll need a hydraulic press to get it off of the shaft and press to get the new one back on. You'll also require some various sized washers and spacers to make sure you press on the races of the bearing. Quite a PITA if you don't have the right tools.

Since we are on the topic Termite - When reinstalling, does the shaft with the secondary clutch side bearing, slide into its housing easy, or does it have to be hammered.

Should the bearing on the chain case side be installed and in place before the shaft is reinstalled or after? If before - do you hammer the shaft through the bearing - OR - hammer the bearing onto the shaft?
Thanks
MS

Since we are on the topic Termite - When reinstalling, does the shaft with the secondary clutch side bearing, slide into its housing easy, or does it have to be hammered.

Should the bearing on the chain case side be installed and in place before the shaft is reinstalled or after? If before - do you hammer the shaft through the bearing - OR - hammer the bearing onto the shaft?
Thanks
MS
I'm going to install the bearing in the chain case and then I'll install the bearing into the housing on the secondary clutch side and push the shaft into the chain case, my plan is to put the shaft in the freezer overnight and the bearing behind the secondary, my hopes is that the bearing will go into the housing easier and I will let it come to room temperature and then press it on the cold shaft!

Was hoping others would jump in here........
Your idea is solid, but I think the chaincase side bearing fits on that shaft snug. If it does not go one easy after the freezer routine, I don't think I would drive the shaft into the bearing as that may put too much pressure on the inner race and damage it. Let me know how you make out.

I watched a video for the procross chassis and they had a special 'bearing driver' that had a hollow handle to fit over the end of the jack shaft and a driver to fit perfectly over the bearing to drive it into the housing of the chaincase (the jack shaft would be placed through the opening first - then drive the bearing onto it). But I have never seen that tool commonly advertised.

With out it, the only idea i can come up with is finding a large washer to fit over the jack shaft dia, and the bearing. Then use a piece of pipe to fit through/over the jack shaft and drive it in.
MS

Right now I can tell you is that the bearing in the chain case on the frame is not as tight a fit as the one on the clutch side, the shaft slides in that bearing fairly easy with no pounding, I haven't received me new bearings yet but I'll keep you posted when I go to reassemble it cause I'm changing all the bearing and seals

Once the chain case is disassembled and you remove the two bolts on the secondary side then the shaft slides right out (with the bearing & bearing holder). The shaft and bearings on the chain case side are not pressed on. The bearing is pressed onto the secondary clutch side. So you keep the bearings in on the chain case side and don't need to do anything to those.

The shaft with the bearing and aluminum bearing holder all come out as one piece. Then you remove the bearing holder by pressing it out. Then you remove the bearing by pressing it out. If I remember correctly I believe I pressed the new bearing into the bearing holder and then pressed that assembly onto the shaft. Again you need to press on the bearing races and will need some special washers, pipe, wood block, etc... I don't remember what I used laying around my garage.

It would not be a very good idea to "hammer" the shaft into the bearing when its installed on the machine (I don't even think this is possible cause the shaft installs from the clutch side). In doing so your side loading the bearing and possibly causing damage. You need to press on the races of the bearing so you don't damage it. If your going to be doing this I wouldn't even change it you'll probably cause more damage to the new bearing than the one you have in there now.

I have 20,000 miles on my machine and swapped that bearing out at 12,000 miles and it didn't really even need it. If you grease it every season that bearing may not ever need to be replaced in my opinion. I don't plan on ever changing that one out again. Chain case bearings are all original and dipped in gear oil and I've never changed those. I wouldn't swap those bearings out with anything but the OEM yamaha bearings. You can find many bearings the same size all day long on the internet, but they won't be the same quality. I would only swap them out with the Yamaha quality OEM bearings.

So the shaft just re-inserts into the chain case side bearing - not driving ?

Thanks for the detailed description.
MS

Back