• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Secondary clutch side to side adjustment

rkkoeb

Expert
Country
USA
Snowmobile
None right now
09 Apex and I notice I have a ton of play back and forth on the my secondary clutch. I did check my jack shaft nut and it is tight along with the chain case gear nut. How much movement should I have on this?

Attachments

• clutch1.jpg
    clutch1.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 81

09 Apex and I notice I have a ton of play back and forth on the my secondary clutch. I did check my jack shaft nut and it is tight along with the chain case gear nut. How much movement should I have on this?
I'd have to check the manual but, I wanna say around 30 thousands. Looks like you might be missing some washers either in front or on the backside of the clutch.

That is what I was thinking. Is there a way to test or check if I have enough washers behind the clutch so they are aligned? I don't have a clutch alignment tool so not sure how to test this or check

Using a feeler gauge, the service manual shows 1.0 ~ 2.0 mm (0.04 ~ 0.08 in) of free play.

Should first confirm/set offset before adjusting free play though.

If you dig through the clutching information in the TY tech pages you’ll find all the specs for centre to centre, offset, belt deflection, etc.

Ok how can I check the alignment for the secondary to the primary regarding how many shims I need behind the clutch without the use of the clutch alignment tool as I don't have one?

Simple, run a long ish straight edge along the back of the primary clutch out towards the secondary, measure the current offset and adjust as necessary.
If you do a search in this forum I’d be shocked if you don’t find a thread about it, been covered many times here.

Back