• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

semi closed tunnel block off ?

grizztracks said:
I don't like the idea of removing the protectors. I'm running a tunnel heat exchanger and they offer some protection for it. I'm also concerned that adding a block off plate might interfer with the additional cooling that the exchanger adds so I'm planning on doing a partial close off. I have my sled apart replacing exhaust donuts so I think I'll start on the plate install tonight.

They ONLY thing they are for is preventing track SPIKES from chewing things up. A rubber track will NOT hurt your heat exchanger.

LazyBastard said:
grizztracks said:
I don't like the idea of removing the protectors. I'm running a tunnel heat exchanger and they offer some protection for it. I'm also concerned that adding a block off plate might interfer with the additional cooling that the exchanger adds so I'm planning on doing a partial close off. I have my sled apart replacing exhaust donuts so I think I'll start on the plate install tonight.

They ONLY thing they are for is preventing track SPIKES from chewing things up. A rubber track will NOT hurt your heat exchanger.

Unfortunately LB not everyone lives in the bountiful northern snow country regions like you do. Studs are a very important part of trail riding (icy trails, lakes etc.)in the southern areas and are a key part of riding safely. I am sure that Yamafiles on this site will eventually work out the ice build up in this XTX. Personally I think some sort of block off plate similar to the Phaser will help.

Well I finished installing the tunnel close off plate. I followed Arteeex's layout http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php? ... e&start=30 and notched it for the Heat exchanger. It's finally all back together and it's snowing so hopefully I can test all my mods in the next few days.

DSC04210.jpg

More Pictures:
http://s589.photobucket.com/albums/ss33 ... ose%20Off/

I see a problem with this setup. A buddy of mine did this on his, say goodbye to the rear plastic around the exhaust and bottom seat pan. I have seen this first hand. It will also cook the foam in the seat. If you decide to run this keep a close eye on the temp of these parts.

I'll be keeping an eye on things. If it gets to warm I'll cut the side wings off.

LazyBastard said:
If you can't stop, don't drive as fast. Spikes are NOT a safety solution. And this thread is NOT ABOUT SPIKES. There is NO INDICATION that spikes are at all a question.

You're right studs are not the focus of this thread. However the tunnel protectors are, and they help accumulate the ice.

grizztracks said:
I'll be keeping an eye on things. If it gets to warm I'll cut the side wings off.

As the CAD image shows in the other thread, I bent the side wings to about 45-degrees. This leaves a small gap between the shield and the tunnel for venting. If you can do so without tearing your sled down I would suggest doing the same or cut about 1/2 inch off the wings or, better yet bend a 1/2 inch tab outward toward the tunnel sides.

Sorry if my earlier info wasn't clear on this point.

Attachments

• ExhaustShield3.jpg
    ExhaustShield3.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 187
Hey grizzly you better look at arteeex pic again. You may have that way to closed off. In his pic you can see his wings.

On the one I built its flat with a curve on the ends that follow the tunnel curve structure. This gap helps between the tunnel and plate which lets the air escape.

Mine isn't exactly like arteeex but its close. And we both posted pics one and had the same results. Well his tunnel was alittle cleaner. But not by much. If you want I can take a pic of mine if I'm not making any sense here.

sledheadgeorge said:
However the tunnel protectors are, and they help accumulate the ice.

Right....

LazyBastard said:
grizztracks said:
LazyBastard said:
I would be somewhat concerned about heat. The exhaust is somewhat cooled by snow and airflow.

If you get enough buildup doesn't the snow and ice start to insulate the exhaust system preventing heat from escaping?

I found this in an old post. It's an extreme case of ice buildup but shows how bad it can get.

That's why its nice to remove the tunnel protectors altogether.

Here is what I came up with. I had a fab shop punch some louvers into a sheet of SS. This way the track should pull some of the heat away. Now my only problem is I don't have a nytro anymore!
DSC00588.jpg

well worked pretty good got about 400 miles on. 3/4 less build up. I think thats good egough for me. mostly hard pack. we will see in the future.

Back