• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Shift fuse keeps blowing

Angelo

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2016 Yamaha Viper 153 w/ MPI Turbo
Have a ‘14 xtx.
Recently pushed reverse and nothing happened. Took to dealership they discovered the shift fuse had blow. Replaced it and seemed to be working. Went for a ride fuse blown again. Replace it and again worked. Went for another ride next day. Fuse blown again. And repeat one more time.
Where should I be looking for a short? Any help or guidance appreciated.

I would take the reverse motor off the chain case and see if the fuse blows while the motor is unloaded. if this works as it should, you need to open the chain case and check for binding or a worn out gear.

^ and if it still blows the fuse after taking it out, I guess disconnecting the reverse actuator would give you the answer - either the wires leading to it or the actuator is broken.

Disconnect the shift motor and try the reverse/forward button. If the fuse is okay then it’s your reverse motor. If the fuse still blows then it’s in the wiring.

Back