• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Should have left them in!!!!

Groomerdriver

TY 4 Stroke Master
Over the weekend I finished pulling the studs out of the outer belts on my 05 Vector. Yesterday while riding with SNO4ME and his friend Al, the sled developed a track howl that got so bad that I had to have cotton in my ears and napkins stuffed in my helmet to cut down on the noise.

When we got done riding just under 200 miles, I put the sled up on the jackstand I brought along. RS front outer idler is now warped (bearing is OK)....must have somehow happened while running over the holes int he track. LS front idler looks OK.

The 05 era Vectors have been prone to track howl and this is something that I have lived with. But something changed to make it REAL BAD....unrideable bad. The only thing I can think of is the idlers running over the holes is causing a resonance in the tunnel.

Vectors are known to eat jackshaft and main bearings around 4000 miles, and I'm at 3700. I've never had one of these bearings go on any sled and I thought that when one did, it made a grinding sound....not a LOUD howl.

My gas mileage has been dropping too....before yesterdays problem. Makes me think that I'm losing a bearing somewhere and it's creating more drag on the track.'

Anybody ever experience anything like this? Any thoughts out there? THe sled has an M10 in it. I greased the bearings b4 the season started.

Its your track that ripsaw is loud, they did quiet them down some since the one I had but basically they equated the noise to the metal support rods in the track as rumble strips and the wheels going over the top of them made the constant howl. You having holes in there is not helping at all.

Mine Howled BAD last year went to a predator and noise is all gone.

In the meantime, if the bogey wheels are easy to take off remove them and drive around in the yard for a little bit and see if the sled is ridable, if it is I would be thinking track replacement.

I would also remvoe the secondary and gently remove the dust cover on the bearing and clean it out with brake cleaner and blow out with compressed air, then use a needle grease gun attachment and grease that bearing, replace the dust shield and secondary and try that. Also check your chaincase fluid just to be sure its ok level. Good luck!

This is not the "normal" loud...this is REALLY loud...not rideable loud. Based on the fact that the sound goes away while the sled is on a stand, plus it goes away when the sled is decelerating, it appears that I've got a bad main bearing.

I greased the jack and main bearings b4 the season as you described.

undecided said:
This is not the "normal" loud...this is REALLY loud...not rideable loud. Based on the fact that the sound goes away while the sled is on a stand, plus it goes away when the sled is decelerating, it appears that I've got a bad main bearing.

I greased the jack and main bearings b4 the season as you described.

What bearings are you taking about? The Main Bearings are inside the Crankcase? Do you mean an Idler Wheel bearing or a Rear Axle Wheel bearing? If you have a damaged wheel, the wheel could be making the noise or the wheel could have damaged its bearing.

Wheel bearings are a snap to replace. On long trips, I even carry spares and have replaced them in the field.

By the way, if you were running the wheels over the tops of the studs, then you may have damaged the wheels themselves. The damaged wheels could now be making the noise.

Maybe you are talking about the Drive Shaft PTO Side Bearing? That is easy to inspect and change. I carry around a spare on long trips. You could also loosen the track a bit and ride it to see if the howl changes, If it does, it very well could be the Drive Shaft Bearing(s).

I doubt the holes after stud removal is causing the problem. If anything, the studs may have previously quieted things down. Now with them out, you are getting the full impact of the howl caused by the wheels rolling over the Track Rods.

Arctic Cat has a 121" Quiet Track that seems to work well. This track has pads adjacent to the Track Rods.

Back