• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Should I get reverse on the Nytro?

I will never buy another sled without reverse...It should be illegal to make a sled without it!!!

Vmax4 said:
rockrider said:
I'd be leary of the long term durability of any mechanical reverse using a standard chain case. Judging from past Polaris and Ski-doo sleds equipped with chaincase style mechanical reverse there were lots of failures, at least in my neck of the woods.
What are you talking about?

The means in which the gears mesh is done through spring loaded "dogs". The system is not as strong as a standard chaincase with only two gears. A reverse chaincase has lots of slop built in to it to allow for the gears to easily mesh when going into reverse. This isn't the hot setup for bashing bumps or jumping.

rockrider said:
Vmax4 said:
rockrider said:
I'd be leary of the long term durability of any mechanical reverse using a standard chain case. Judging from past Polaris and Ski-doo sleds equipped with chaincase style mechanical reverse there were lots of failures, at least in my neck of the woods.
What are you talking about?

The means in which the gears mesh is done through spring loaded "dogs". The system is not as strong as a standard chaincase with only two gears. A reverse chaincase has lots of slop built in to it to allow for the gears to easily mesh when going into reverse. This isn't the hot setup for bashing bumps or jumping.
I think you probably don't have any experience with YAMAHA reverse. It is every bit as durable with as without. And the "slop", as you put it, will have NO effect of bumps and jumping. And next time you have a Yamaha chaincase apart, take a close look at how the reverse gear meshes in with the forward gear.

Get it even if you don't want it now. you will sell your sled someday and I would not buy anotherone without it.

I can't believe this thread has made it 2 pages. It is a no brainer. GET REVERSE. You will never have a problem with it and you will be glad its there...... Trust me, YOU WILL NOT REGRET REVERSE

LB,
Yes, my experience is with Polaris, Ski-doo & even old Arctic Cat mechanical reverse systems. Just now I took a look at the exploded diagram for an '05 Vector ER and it appears that instead of using spring loaded pins that mesh into the other gear, Yamaha uses 5 large cogs? The spring loaded pins and the necessary slop are what cause problems in the other systems. I figured it would be the same for the Yamaha. Also I noticed that the new Nytro does not come standard with reverse leading me to believe that with its intended use and increased power, reverse could cause problems?

9,000 miles on my XTC, almost 12,000 miles on my Viper, and 2,000 on my Attak. Reverse problems? ZERO!!! Very durable design. Would never have a sled without it!!

Dave

Back