• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

should I re-use my chaincase cover gaske

mr.pitstop

Expert
Today I noticed chaincase oil leaking from my chaincase cover so I took it all apart, I could see where part of the seal had partially come off the chain case. I took it off and cleaned it and it goes back on perfectly and looks fine. I don't see anything wrong with it and a new one will take 5 days to get. Any reason I can't just put this one back on, make sure its all on good and run it????

Yes you can reuse it,until you get another one. Sometimes they get pinched but if its in ok condition put it back together carefully,especially were it was leaking. Tighten everything down and make sure it doesn't leak. I would order a new one in the meantime they are pretty cheap. But if its in ok condition,you should be able to use it until end of season or new one comes in. But if it still leaks I would NOT chance it.
Pain in the but when something is not in stock,happened many of times to me too.

I told them to order one for me. $35 is enough for what it is but cheap compared to bearings.. Im gunna put it back together with this one for now and keep the new one in the garage..

That what I would do just keep a close eye on it,especially the first 20 miles.seasons almost over dont want to waste 1 day with it down. What a great season we are having who knows when we will get another one like this.
Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just wondering if you have had the updated chaincase cover put on? It came out in 2008 and my budies had it put on their 2007 Apex gt. It was to fix a problem with the gasket. Not sure if it was also for the 2006 RTX.

mr.pitstop said:
Today I noticed chaincase oil leaking from my chaincase cover so I took it all apart, I could see where part of the seal had partially come off the chain case. I took it off and cleaned it and it goes back on perfectly and looks fine. I don't see anything wrong with it and a new one will take 5 days to get. Any reason I can't just put this one back on, make sure its all on good and run it????
Did your 06 ever get the updated cover,our 06's all leaked from the factory,and yammi came clean on all of them,in 07 they changed the bottom of the inside of cover,they added more meat for the seal to sit on,so it would not bunch up,funny i have an other 06 apex gt and i am in the process of removing the cover as we speak,and it is binding on the shaft,i can push it back on,but cant seem to slide it out off the end of the shaft,i think its hanging up on the shifting fork,any ideas?

mnmsnowbeast said:
mr.pitstop said:
Did your 06 ever get the updated cover,our 06's all leaked from the factory,and yammi came clean on all of them,in 07 they changed the bottom of the inside of cover,they added more meat for the seal to sit on,so it would not bunch up,funny i have an other 06 apex gt and i am in the process of removing the cover as we speak,and it is binding on the shaft,i can push it back on,but cant seem to slide it out off the end of the shaft,i think its hanging up on the shifting fork,any ideas?
try polishing the end of the jackshaft and also make sure you take the bolt out of the linkage pivot so the shift fork can move as far as possible !!
doc

I don't think this sled has ever had the updated cover. Its an 06 and I bought it last year with 289 miles on it. It had been in dealer storage since spring of 07. I doubt it had any updates done. Will they still give it to me??? I can see this cover has very little lip for the seal to sit on..

mr.pitstop said:
I don't think this sled has ever had the updated cover. Its an 06 and I bought it last year with 289 miles on it. It had been in dealer storage since spring of 07. I doubt it had any updates done. Will they still give it to me??? I can see this cover has very little lip for the seal to sit on..
I dont know but its worth a try,if i can get my cover off,and it looks all 06 stock,with little lip,i will give my dealer a call.

doc 4 stroke said:
mnmsnowbeast said:
mr.pitstop said:
try polishing the end of the jackshaft and also make sure you take the bolt out of the linkage pivot so the shift fork can move as far as possible !!
doc
The linkage,is seperated,i removed the nut from the pivot bolt,but that was it,i have not done any cleaning of the shaft yet,but i may have to give it a try.

Back