• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Should the turbo spin freely? Mine doesn’t?

WISYAMMI

Picked up a ‘22 Tcat with just over 6k miles.
After removing the exhaust. I spun the turbo by hand expecting it to spin freely. It doesn’t. It this normal?
I expected it to spin a few rotations after letting go.
It’s still under warranty. If it’s not right I’ll taker her in.

Can these turbos be repaired? I've seen turbo repairs before that consist of bearings and a new shaft.

Spin more by hand, also check for excessive lateral clearance of the rotor shaft . It will free up, turbine side might be a bit coked up, if there isn't any internal damage to the vanes. Inspect both the compressor and turbine vanes for damage.

Mine did this after 1 year. I went for a short spin around my yard early in the year and got a code related to boot pressure.. I took the exhaust off and tried to spin the impeller. It was frozen and I did not force it. Brought it to the selling dealer as it was under warranty. They found the impeller to be "freed up" and drove it for a bit. It never bothered again in 10,000 miles.
Seemed sketchy to me and I checked it every year after with no problems. I chocked it up to being stored in a trailer all summer and condensation playing a role.

I run Hot Shot Secrect Stiction Eliminator since new in both my rurbo sleds for this very reason, keeps turbo oil system clean so no coking happens.

Can these turbos be repaired? I've seen turbo repairs before that consist of bearings and a new shaft.
Not sure. A couple years ago I asked a few of the more well-known rebuilders (automotive). I got 2 'no's' and a couple no responses.
Maybe someone has some info?

Thanks for the responses. Just to clarify. If I give the impeller a quick half turn spin. It should keep spinning for more than one rotation?

Not sure. A couple years ago I asked a few of the more well-known rebuilders (automotive). I got 2 'no's' and a couple no responses.
Maybe someone has some info?
Any idea of why they said no?

Any idea of why they said no?
One said they never see IHI turbos needing repair so didn't have parts/experience with them.
Other said there was no demand because IHI turbos don't fail.
IDK?

These are pictures of my brand new turbo---0 miles on sled. This can give you idea what condensation does in a trailer.

Attachments

• turbo.JPG
    turbo.JPG
    171.5 KB · Views: 93
  • turbo 2.JPG
    turbo 2.JPG
    120 KB · Views: 92
Unless something has changed, these turbos were intended to be replaced in entirety - no service. Not sure if Hurricane Dave has created a rebuild kit.

I had my turbo warrantied after its first year as it made quite a whine - when spooling down - when engine was shut off. No problems since, and that was 11,000km ago.

And yes it should spin freely, not as free as a kids fidget spinner, but certainly a revolution of two.
MS

Back