• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2ooosrx

TY Advertiser
Vendor
I am trying to get a feel for interest in studding kits for the new sidewinders along with any 129" and 137" track sled. I have put together a spreadsheet which will optimize your scratch line pattern and avoid repeating scratch lines near each other. I have put two kits together for each track length. They will be as follows:

129" Studded with 135 total studs Inside & Outside (Aggressive)
129" Studded with 135 total Studs Inside Only

137" Studded with 144 total Studs Inside & Outside (Aggressive)
137" Studded with 144 total Studs Inside Only

These kits will include your choice of woody's studs (1.325" & 1.450" of different styles available), backers, nuts, track marker, track drill, and track layout template.

We can make these as custom as you would like (i.e. no track drill and marker required for a cheaper price) and you do not need to own a sidewinder to make use of these track layout templates (very universal) or kits.

There is always a great discussion regarding the correct quantity of studs to run. The correct answer to this is you want to as run as few studs as possible without putting too much power through each individual stud/section of track. Based off the power of these new models, we are recommending to run an average of 3 studs per bar which is why the kits are available in 135 studs and 144 studs respectively. Below is quick screen shot of the 137" studded inside and outside template to show the efficiency of the pattern. The red highlighted cells represent double backers. Pricing for these kits will be very reasonable and should land around ~$325 plus shipping for the 129" tracks with Gold Digger Studs and ~$345 plus shipping for the 137" tracks with Gold Digger Studs. Choosing a different stud type would only lessen the cost of the kit.

Is there any interest in the kits listed above? Let me know and we can start putting them together as soon as this week. Thanks!
137 Outside Studding Template.jpg

How did you arrive at # of studs? Just curious as more of what I read of late was 1 stud per hp. I'm going to stud my sidewinder and want to research my options. I'm only planning on going up the middle. For the 137 LTX-LE, would you recommend the 1.3 or 1.4? Also, how much for the kit, minus the drill and marker? Thanks

Throughout the years of running our own sleds, we have been very successful running 1 stud per every 1.25-1.5 HP. With that said, tear outs and bent studs can occur even if you ran 300 studs. All it takes is a free spinning track and a hard object to hit an individual stud and it is bent/torn. As for the height of the stud, that depends on how aggressive you would like to get. Both Woody's and ourselves would recommend running 1.325" studs on a 1.25" lug track. This will put you just over 3/8" stick out above the top of the lug. A 1.450" stud is going to put you at the 1/2" mark. Obviously the 1.450" stud is going to provide better traction but the trade off is your reliability. There are several factors involved with the "reliability" portion that can allow someone to more safely run a taller stud. The head on a Gold digger stud is "cupped" and has a 1" Diameter head on it. The head on a Megabite stud is not cupped and has a 15/16" diameter head. The gold digger stud alone is going to provide more support and be less prone to tear outs based on that fact alone. You could also potentially run a grand master support plate which are significantly larger which would also add more support. I hope this helps clear up a couple items and please let me know if you have any further questions.

As far as the pricing goes, without the track drill and marker, it would be $10 less then the prices listed above.

I want 192 studs...ran it on my 16...sure Id be interested in a optimized pattern...I did last years on my own..1.630's going in mine..

Attachments

• 20151120_203859_resized.jpg
    20151120_203859_resized.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 1,371
  • 20151122_100947_resized_3.jpg
    20151122_100947_resized_3.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 1,113
SJ, looks good. A 192 pattern would be an easy modification by adding a stud on the outside of every lug instead of every other. As far as the stud height goes, we always error on the side of caution. Many members have good luck going with a taller stud much like yourself. We could provide the taller studs in the kit if that is what you are looking for. Just gotta make sure you have enough clearance for your tunnel and heat exchange protectors.

What about 150 studs in a 129 inside only? Too unbalanced?

Kevin,

This would not be an issue for the template itself but a pattern will not be generated for this. What I mean by this is we could provide you with the universal template, requested studs qty, backers, etc. The instructions for the template will only be provided with the 135 pattern on the inside. You could take the liberty yourself to add the additional 15 studs in as you see fit. Our 135 pattern for the 129" Inside only represents a 2-3-4 pattern currently. Hope this answers your question, Thanks

SJ, looks good. A 192 pattern would be an easy modification by adding a stud on the outside of every lug instead of every other. As far as the stud height goes, we always error on the side of caution. Many members have good luck going with a taller stud much like yourself. We could provide the taller studs in the kit if that is what you are looking for. Just gotta make sure you have enough clearance for your tunnel and heat exchange protectors.
I was going with SJ,s idea,on my ltx-le but was going with woody,s 1.4 mega bite,studs,you saying they tend to have a greater rate of tear outs based on smaller head? How about that stud and the wider plates you speak of,can you do up a price for those wider round plates,and 192 megabites studs at 1.4 tall?

We are currently in the process of cutting out the templates. I should be able to get some pictures and more information regarding this kit tomorrow. Based off the feedback I have recieved here, I have since added a 192 & 240 stud pattern for the 137's and a 180 & 225 stud pattern for the 129's.

As far as tear outs go, a gold digger is going to provide slightly more support than a megabite due to the larger head (more surface area). This is not to say that either stud will tear out. It is just saying that a gold digger would be less likely based on that single dimension. There is no reason you could not run a grand master backer to provide more support (I am currently studding a track that has megabite studs and grand master backers). For (192) 1.450 megabites, grandmaster backers, nuts, track template, drill, & marker, it would be $420 plus shipping. The larger backers add ~$12 over standard size backers for 192.

There has been great feedback on these kits and I hope to provide more information/pictures tomorrow. Thanks!

Here is an update where we are at with these optimized stud kits. Below is an image of what will be included in the kit and another image showing how it fits on a 2.86" pitch track (please ignore it being a pre-studded track). In the image of what is included, we made this first template out of gasket material for shipping purposes. We will likely change this to a material that holds its shape a bit better. The pricing for the kits will be a la carte so you can customize it as you would like. I am not going to list pricing for everything here but we are capable of providing you with what you are looking for.

Gold Digger w/ nut 1.325" - 1.575" = $1.71/stud
Mega Bite w/ nut 1.325" - 1.575" = $1.53/stud
Regular Aluminum Round/Square Backers = $0.43/backer
Waterjet Template/Pattern = $20 with purchase of studs / $35 without purchase of studs
Track Drill = $10
Track Marker = $5

An example price of the entire kit with 144 gold diggers for a 137" track would be $343.16 plus shipping.

If you are interested in ordering, please PM me with the following information:

QTY, length, and type of stud
Round or Square backers
Track length
Stud pattern desired: 129" = 135 inside only, 135, 180, or 225 / 137" = 144 inside only, 144, 192, 240.
Track Drill Required?
Track Marker Required?

We can either take the order by Paypal or phone order. With these kits being custom, we will try to get them on our website but for now we can manage it by the methods listed above. Thanks!
20161021_124435.jpg

20161021_091821.jpg

Here is an update where we are at with these optimized stud kits. Below is an image of what will be included in the kit and another image showing how it fits on a 2.86" pitch track (please ignore it being a pre-studded track). In the image of what is included, we made this first template out of gasket material for shipping purposes. We will likely change this to a material that holds its shape a bit better. The pricing for the kits will be a la carte so you can customize it as you would like. I am not going to list pricing for everything here but we are capable of providing you with what you are looking for.

Gold Digger w/ nut 1.325" - 1.575" = $1.71/stud
Mega Bite w/ nut 1.325" - 1.575" = $1.53/stud
Regular Aluminum Round/Square Backers = $0.43/backer
Waterjet Template/Pattern = $20 with purchase of studs / $35 without purchase of studs
Track Drill = $10
Track Marker = $5

An example price of the entire kit with 144 gold diggers for a 137" track would be $343.16 plus shipping.

If you are interested in ordering, please PM me with the following information:

QTY, length, and type of stud
Round or Square backers
Track length
Stud pattern desired: 129" = 135 inside only, 135, 180, or 225 / 137" = 144 inside only, 144, 192, 240.
Track Drill Required?
Track Marker Required?

We can either take the order by Paypal or phone order. With these kits being custom, we will try to get them on our website but for now we can manage it by the methods listed above. Thanks!
View attachment 121813

View attachment 121815

Now thats a sick template!!! Awesome job!!

I'm also looking to go 192 as well with the 1.450 just because I'll probably be running around 240-250 hp. When running 4 per row on the outside do you shift the outside from left to right per stud or keep the outside centered with your pattern ?

The 192 kit is 2 down the center and 2 on the outside (1 on each side) of every bar. This keeps the outside studding centered on both sides as there is no alternating. Thanks

Back