• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Sidewinder Alpha conversion questions

Look att Joel Berra Bäckström build on instagram.

Still working on the conversion. Just waiting on drivers from Avid. The track I purchased was the 2023 power claw. It has been redesigned so Avid needs to make new drivers. I thought about doing the stock Arctic cat drivers but I’m going to be in the neighborhood of 400 HP so need them to be durable. I decided to do a Big Turbo from turbo dynamics and all the goodies to go along with it. I’ll post final pics when I’m done in few weeks or so. So far it’s been straight forward project. The job can be done in a day no problem. I tried to add some updated pics from my IPhone but I keep getting an error that says my photos are too large for server to process. Anyone know how to get around that please let me know.
You can email the pics to me and I will put them up here. Very interested in this. I see that Cat/Yamaha are offering 7T drivers now stock in the Venom/Blast MTN with same gearing. So you do have a 7 and 8T option right from Cat. That gives you a steel Driveshaft option. Havent seen any issues with the Aluminum setup though. Never seen bearing spin on them. Avid is awesome but if using Introverts I would say the Cats drivers are very durable and fully machined on OD's. The Extroverts I would definitely go Avid since the Cats are Blow Molded and pretty much junk performance killing Chinese crap. Thanks!
Email Pics: stvspiering@charter.net

Sent some pics to cannodale27. He should be uploading them soon. The build is not done but I’m picking up steam. Should be real soon. I’ll send some better pics when the sled is but back together. Should be an absolute animal. Has anyone wrapped these sleds yet. Was thinking about a wrap but I’m terrible with stickers lol. Is it hard?
D1D67D33-4EE2-4F69-B2C5-8CDE12502DBC.jpeg
1D8FD66D-0623-46FF-A0C3-116C7A48026B.jpeg
621C7F2F-3474-441A-A9AE-874A42D9DBA3.jpeg
9B392A1A-8331-48BB-93E5-72839100A178.jpeg
2D5778D0-3A1F-47D1-8500-FEE35BB6B061.jpeg
D996B2EB-DBB2-4043-8BA3-1BFBA6F04DCE.jpeg
888C3CE2-BE4E-4160-9A33-BF3A26A81878.jpeg
EDBF4292-37DA-4C62-9BDA-F3770490DCE5.jpeg
1CA42BD6-EC2E-4822-8C9C-5347B507BD18.jpeg
F820E8A0-7CDC-40F7-AA2F-1C3FAA36B254.jpeg
E5A9D314-3A60-4EC4-8889-7DF4D736A809.jpeg
1F192404-7BAE-4C05-9D66-71F1FFA390AD.jpeg
1F0AA680-9D34-4F9B-80D5-4BEFB249A6A8.jpeg
79625D80-19D6-473B-9351-FB65CFA4F236.jpeg
CED00EE2-3003-48AA-9A78-85D11A32FAFF.jpeg
A2F7965C-E8B4-4537-A5CD-DD80ACD99121.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sent some pics to cannodale27. He should be uploading them soon. The build is not done but I’m picking up steam. Should be real soon. I’ll send some better pics when the sled is but back together. Should be an absolute animal. Has anyone wrapped these sleds yet. Was thinking about a wrap but I’m terrible with stickers lol. Is it hard?
View attachment 170480View attachment 170481View attachment 170482View attachment 170483View attachment 170484View attachment 170485View attachment 170486View attachment 170487View attachment 170488View attachment 170489View attachment 170490View attachment 170491View attachment 170492View attachment 170493View attachment 170494View attachment 170495
Awesome build!

Nice build! I did a wrap on a Viper, was pretty easy and the result was good. I used Deviant Ink, you get to design and change colors with an illustration of your sled. They give great instructions. I had 2 curves which were pretty hard, other than that it was pretty easy with the right technique.

You better start eating spinach now so you have Popeye arms to hold onto that thing! Nice build!

Did you get this beast up and running yet? I am interested to hear how you like it. Seriously looking to doing a similar build in the future, I can build something similar to you for about 1/3 the price of a new polaris boost. Also would like to hear how well the skid holds up to the power of the turbo. My father is buying a 22 mountain max le, so I will get to see how I like the single beam.

Lol. Just ordered a pallet of spinach.
The power is absolutely crazy. I tested up to 30 psi of boost and promptly turned it down to 24. The power is impossible to describe. I also purchased the closed loop tuning option and advanced tuning options. I can set the desired boost and go. Closed loop takes care of the air fuel. But the skid is holding up real well. Have not had any ratcheting with drivers. I put quite a bit of tension on the track due to the extra HP. Have the rear skid shock aired up quite a bit also. I also had the shocks valved for the extra HP. But so far it’s holding up just like the stock skid. It definitely handles way different. A lot more nimble. But it’s not as crazy as the stock alpha skids. Those things feel like they are going to wash out all the time.

Last edited:
talking to the dealer the other day and he was telling me that the alpha tracks are now coming with drivers, and for a very reasonable price. I will likely go the kmod skinny as well, definately going to keep it tame at around 275hp lol.

Did you go with the elevate spindles? and where are the pictures at?

There are some pics in the previous posts. I’ll have to post another one with a whole pic of the sled finish. Does not look as good as the orange sled posted in the pics before mine. Looks like a plain old winder with a monorail. I have not done anything to the front suspension yet. I didn’t know what to go with. I’ll have to check those spindles out. I would like to make the front end a bit skinnier. Anyone know any good front end set ups out there?

I also heard about the drive shaft track combos. Definitely reasonably priced. The only thing I was not sure about was loosing reverse. Was not 100% sure if the shafts were the same. I think the shaft is different on the two strokes. I think the the two strokes shaft will work on the 4 stroke sleds but you would loose reverse. The chain case has different internals because the two stroke sleds just run the engine backward for reverse. And the 4 strokes have the reverse actuator and the extra gearing to reverse. I could be completely wrong on that also. Someone feel to correct me if I’m wrong.

There are some pics in the previous posts. I’ll have to post another one with a whole pic of the sled finish. Does not look as good as the orange sled posted in the pics before mine. Looks like a plain old winder with a monorail. I have not done anything to the front suspension yet. I didn’t know what to go with. I’ll have to check those spindles out. I would like to make the front end a bit skinnier. Anyone know any good front end set ups out there?
I hear nothing but good things about the elevate kit made by ice age. K-mod sell the same kit (from ice age) as well if you are already familiar with them. it elevates the front for sure and i believe you get skinnier as well. Only thing negative that i have heard is that it is not much fun trail riding with it.
I also heard about the drive shaft track combos. Definitely reasonably priced. The only thing I was not sure about was loosing reverse. Was not 100% sure if the shafts were the same. I think the shaft is different on the two strokes. I think the the two strokes shaft will work on the 4 stroke sleds but you would loose reverse. The chain case has different internals because the two stroke sleds just run the engine backward for reverse. And the 4 strokes have the reverse actuator and the extra gearing to reverse. I could be completely wrong on that also. Someone feel to correct me if I’m wrong.
track just comes with the drivers, not the shaft so you dont have to worry about loosing reverse. Pretty sure the arctic cat has different internals because to back up, it runs the engine in reverse, at least they used to. Dad brings home his mountain max today so i will get to see first hand this weekend lol.

I watched a video of an orange sidewinder in the mountains on youtube last night (video was 7h old), thought it was you but nobody was speaking english, also couldnt tell if it had the alpha or not, but that thing was ripping pretty awesome.

Back