• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Sidewinder Problems and Warranty Items.

FYI: Remember if you having issues with your New Yamaha Sidewinders, please take them to the dealer. That's why you have a warranty. The dealer can register the problem with Yamaha so we all can benefit from an update or a bulletin about the issue. Without doing so the numbers will be skewed and there will be no changes due to lack of unreported problems. Posting the problems on the forums or social media is not the way to bring the issues to the attention of Yamaha sorry to say.
I just brought mine to the dealer today cracked tunnel near chain case

0BF167AE-2EBC-4846-83F8-40BD69003F66.jpeg
88D13DA6-1B21-45DB-BDE0-7838BACD7A27.jpeg
YIKES! Pls keep us informed on this one!
They are calling Yamaha for me Monday only has 2900 miles on it 2019 xtx141

I know right where your pics were taken. I hope this is not the next major issue! Tell us more about what your application is. Tuned or stock. Studded or not. High-flying jumps or mostly trails, etc. Thanks!

I know right where your pics were taken. I hope this is not the next major issue! Tell us more about what your application is. Tuned or stock. Studded or not. High-flying jumps or mostly trails, etc. Thanks!
It’s stock and it is studded no jumps I hit a decent size snow chunk on the trails fell off a groomer but no different then I hit before with my 2009 apex but it did dent it on the oil cover but that should not cause it to crack like it is we do a lot of night riding here in Maine

I have L-TX-LE 1,200 miles
My friend has X-TX-LE 137 1,600 miles and both of us ZERO issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Had forward and reverse issues. Was stuck on a trail and had ski doo guys laugh at me apparently common issue with the forward and reverse gear. I ride a 2019 ltx-le..
Screenshot_20190516-014713_Gallery.jpg

Dropped my sled off this morning at dealer. 3549 miles. Was up in Canada for 10 days, had to get towed out, day 4. Rode an 850 Renegade the rest of the trip.
Top gear bushing wasted, roller screw backed half way out, guess good news drive shaft still good.
Had to order the pads for the reverse fork, new bushing (Ulmer Oil lite), will install drive shaft wedge.
Heard a loud snap and grind and came to a stop on the side of the trail. Gears were OK, screw will be welded.
Dealer said no gears and no drive shafts available, not good news for future repairs.
Long trip, 4-1/2 hours each way. Will go back to pick it up next week, hopefully.

Good luck. Your dealer is correct. Top gears and driveshafts are backordered until Jan 20th. I had the same failure a few weeks ago that you are describing. My dealer had authorization from Yamaha to repair everything under my YES warranty including the driveshaft which had the spun bearing issue. Because the top gear & driveshaft were backordered and I did not want to miss over a month of riding I found a dealer in WI that had the top gear and I had it shipped to my MN dealer.

My dealer received authorization to make the chain case repairs so that I could ride the sled until the driveshaft comes in and Yamaha will pay my dealer to replace the driveshaft under warranty at that time (take it apart and put it back together twice). I had to pay for the gear and shipping out of my pocket but that was the only way to not lose over a month of riding. When the warranty replacement gear arrives I guess I will have a spare. I also ordered the BOP driveshaft saver from Travis which will be installed in my new driveshaft.

What a crap Arctic Cat design on the chain case & driveshaft! I am glad I have YES for two more years!

Ok here’s an update to my post about 2 weeks ago. I bought a L-TX SE at Christmas time time and after only 23 miles on it noticed that I had oil dripping out of the airbox. Actually running out of the airbox and sled at that time was 21/2 quarts low on oil! I finally got sled back from dealer and it was caused by a definite human error/ assembly line. The oil tank has baffles in it to resist oil from being shot through the motor.so to make a Long story short my tank had nothing in it. Supposedly Im not the only one that this has happened too according to the Yamaha rep. So keep your eyes open because if I wouldn’t have noticed It I would’ve blowin the sled up because all the oil would’ve been in the airbox. Other than that I love my “WINDER”

Good luck. Your dealer is correct. Top gears and driveshafts are backordered until Jan 20th. I had the same failure a few weeks ago that you are describing. My dealer had authorization from Yamaha to repair everything under my YES warranty including the driveshaft which had the spun bearing issue. Because the top gear & driveshaft were backordered and I did not want to miss over a month of riding I found a dealer in WI that had the top gear and I had it shipped to my MN dealer.

My dealer received authorization to make the chain case repairs so that I could ride the sled until the driveshaft comes in and Yamaha will pay my dealer to replace the driveshaft under warranty at that time (take it apart and put it back together twice). I had to pay for the gear and shipping out of my pocket but that was the only way to not lose over a month of riding. When the warranty replacement gear arrives I guess I will have a spare. I also ordered the BOP driveshaft saver from Travis which will be installed in my new driveshaft.

What a crap Arctic Cat design on the chain case & driveshaft! I am glad I have YES for two more years!

Now the driveshafts are backordered until February 12th. That tells me that a lot of driveshafts have failed and they can not keep up with the demand for replacements. My dealer peened my driveshaft when he put it back together during the the warranty chain case repair so I could ride it until the warranty replacement driveshaft arrives. I've put about 500 miles on it this way and I am now feeling a vibration in the running boards above 60 mph that I fear is the driveshaft spinning against the inner race of the bearing again.

I also have a chain case leak that I am managing by adding lube as needed until it goes back to the dealer for the warranty driveshaft replacement. So until the warranty driveshaft arrives, I need to add chain case lube and keep the speed under 60 mph as to not risk a catastrophic failure that could ruin a sled trip and result in one of my Doo buddies towing me back again.

My YES warranty is great to have until 2022 but it still sucks that parts are not available and that the same crappy AC designed parts are being put back in instead of being redesigned. Until we get a Yamaha designed drivetrain we all can expect the same chain case and driveshaft failures over and over again.

Last edited:
I have been on so many sleds and yes there are gremlins in these sleds but all the negative thoughts go away once you squeeze that throttle. Not to mention I like to do a little wrenching. I would and will buy another one of these monsters again.

Now the driveshafts are backordered until February 12th. That tells me that a lot of driveshafts have failed and they can not keep up with the demand for replacements. My dealer peened my driveshaft when he put it back together during the the warranty chain case repair so I could ride it until the warranty replacement driveshaft arrives. I've put about 500 miles on it this way and I am now feeling a vibration in the running boards above 60 mph that I fear is the driveshaft spinning against the inner race of the bearing again.

I also have a chain case leak that I am managing by adding lube as needed until it goes back to the dealer for the warranty driveshaft replacement. So until the warranty driveshaft arrives, I need to add chain case lube and keep the speed under 60 mph as to not risk a catastrophic failure that could ruin a sled trip and result in one of my Doo buddies towing me back again.

My YES warranty is great to have until 2022 but it still sucks that parts are not available and that the same crappy AC designed parts are being put back in instead of being redesigned. Until we get a Yamaha designed drivetrain we all can expect the same chain case and driveshaft failures over and over again.

Now the driveshafts are on backorder until February 19th. The back order date keeps moving out. My dealer alone has had four on backorder since December. Obviously they can not keep up with all of the failures. I am still riding with a vibration above 60 mph and a chain case leak that I hope will both be fixed when the new driveshaft & bearing are installed someday.

The one time I decided to push it on a straightaway this last weekend it popped out of gear again. Luckily it popped back into gear on it's own this time without destroying my chain case like it did last time. It still blows belts every 300 miles or so if ridden hard despite both clutches being completely rebuilt and the offset set properly.

To answer the question as to if I would buy a Side Winder again I would say not until we get a Yamaha designed driveline. I bleed blue and have been a die hard Yamaha guy forever. I have owned over a dozen Japan built Yamaha's over the years that were rarely ever on the wrong end of a tow strap. Yamaha built their reputation on reliability and that is why I have bought so many of them. Using Arctic Crap engineered and built components will irreparably damage this reputation in my opinion.

Back