• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Sidewinder trail tank

I’ve been strongly considering it as well but haven’t seen many reports of guys using them yet. I have the combination saddle bag/rear bag on mine so I can’t put a linq tank on it. Already tried to put one in the bag and it didn’t fit. I used to be able to do 180-200 kms comfortably on my viper with the stock tank but now I’m down to 150-170 kms. If I’m in deeper snow that cuts back to 120 kms pretty quick. Power is fun but she’s sure thirsty lol. Did 180 kms one day and ran out 1 mile from the truck when I got on the throttle pretty hard. Gas ran to the back of the tank and couldn’t pick it up. I put 33 lts in when I got home. That’s what’s left me with a little bit of uneasy feeling traveling further without extra gas.

They seem a little ugly though....

I just pack a siphon and when I hit a bar I fill up! Just joking

My biggest concern with putting a extra tank on the back is bending my tunnel. I don’t carry much for weight in my rear bag just for that reason. The trail tank at least the weight stays where it’s meant to. Just wish it had. Little bit more capacity then it does. It’s not a huge gain if everyone is putting 37-38 lts in the tank as they sit. Trail tank is 44 lts I think. Wouldn’t hurt if the price was 100-150 cheaper too lol.

I know a few guys with 137's and they carry the 15l linq and have never had an issue. Keep it filled all the time and they drive pretty hard.
I mirror your concern for bending the tunnel but it seems to hold up.
MS

Trail tank is installed. Fit seems really good.
I am just waiting for my ATACH brackets and bag and I will post some photos.
I went with the CAT system instead of the Kimpex one as I figured it would be supported longer.

I ran one last year, it worked good and was nice having a little extra. The only thing I had issue with was where the sending unit goes. It started to leak and was a royal pain to get in. I ended up sanding hole a little bigger and sanding the top flat so it would tighten down better.

From the little research I've done, the trail tank is a flawless fit and will go unnoticed by most. The look is factory.
I've carefully considered it, but I'm always able to make it to the next station. So for $500us, I'm just not quite there.
My sled gets 15mpg, if I was closer to 10mpg, it would be done.
Last year with the tune I was able to avg 13.8mpg and that's only cuz I couldn't keep my thumb off the flipper.

The only fitment issue was the foam pads they put on the tank to protect it from rubbing on the down tubes that go towards the rear. The location of the pads wouldn't allow the seat to clip onto those tubes. I relocated them a little further forward.

Had this setup on 3 procross's. Lower/more centralized center of gravity and lets you run a full tunnel pack. Does not interfere with riding whatsoever. A bit of fabrication though. These particular tanks are NLA but knockoffs or rotopax would work. these were 1.5 gal each filled completely, rated for 1.3

IMG_20191130_113637320 small.jpg
IMG_20191130_113647280 small.jpg
IMG-20131127-00014 small.JPG

Last edited:

Back