• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Sidewinder vs thundercat

yamamarc

TY 4 Stroke God
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2019 zr9000 Ltd
Hey guys i currently have my turboed viper up for sale! Once sold im looking at getting a sidewinder or a zr 9000 thundercat!
It seems that the sidewinder is dominating the market over it's arctic cat version! What is the main reason for this?
From what i understand the only difference between the 2 is the clutching!
Are there any other difference?
I've been in contact with a few dealers both ac and yamaha and the zr9000 seems to be a little cheaper (around 700$)
Any input is greatly appreciated!
I'm a yamaha guy and alway have been but since the amalgamation between the to companies i can live with either brand

Doesn't the T Cat have same Shocks as LE Winders? Just watched a snowtraxx video of the T Cat, and the Shocks look close to being the same?? Maybe they're just the QS3's on the Cat? And not the QS3R's?? Is that the difference??

The fronts are the same, the center rear is a cat shock.....the rear shock is different than the winder just can't remember now what it is (thinking its a standard QS3). Went through this with a buddy who ordered an 18 T cat. Cat is all over the place with shock packages on there 9000 series sleds. I think the 9000 sno pro gives you the full compliment of QS3r.

Rumor in the Cat world last year was there was supposed to be a lowered ThunderCat and Sidewinder lot of sag front and back still waiting to see that. That would be next step.

Well the Yamaha comes in blue,and that alone makes it faster than a green one LOL!...
Mark it's nice to hear your considering a Sidewinder :sled1:or even a 9000 cat :moon: seriously though from what I gather the differences in the Yamaha compared to the Cat are the shock packages in there camparable trim levels, the clutches, the price of belts (Yamaha being cheaper) and a few other little things. You should really consider an LE model or the Cat model (I think the RR only) with Qs3r shocks on all four corners. The only thing you might want to change on it are the skis to either the Cat skis or the Curves and you'd be good to go.
Keep us posted

Hey guys i currently have my turboed viper up for sale! Once sold im looking at getting a sidewinder or a zr 9000 thundercat!
It seems that the sidewinder is dominating the market over it's arctic cat version! What is the main reason for this?
I've been in contact with a few dealers both ac and yamaha and the zr9000 seems to be a little cheaper (around 700$)
I'm a yamaha guy and alway have been but since the amalgamation between the to companies i can live with either brand

I did a lot of online reasearch last year before buying my 17 LTX-LE.
Not much has changed this year except maybe one of the different stock bumpers that were offered last year on one of the 9000 series Procross sleds, maybe more but anyways, none offer the full compliment of the QS3Rs. Their top model Tcat has them on front end and rear back shock on suspension with a Float on front of suspension. I may be wrong but you can go online and check out their lineup and specs.

They were not cheaper last year and besides that, cat came with a legend of clutch, belt and running gear problems.
I think that was the major reason for many to look at Yamaha with their legendary reliability versus the T-cat.

Everyone knows that cat has many more option offerings then the Sidewinder, but for me the all around LE shock package, the blue color, RR suspension, etc, and the fact that I have owned many cats that I called PRETZELs because they were always breaking something, was the reason I chose to stay with Yamaha and the Sidewinder.

FYI, both brands only offer their best model lineups during Spring Surge time line windows!

So again do some online comparison shopping and make sure you compare each top of the line models when pricing because both have good, better and best, so that has to be calculated in your New or Used sled price equation.

Last edited:
Be sure to get the LE or RR model only IMO. The lesser models just dont ride as well.

Also, if you search up transfer..you will find these do not transfer well at all, and I see you own a 14 RTX viper, and so I assume you are good with a 129". I would recommend the 129 for better transfer.

That being said, it throws the T-Cat out of the mix, since the Tcat is only a 137.

I do believe the Qs3 shocks on the Tcat are a really good shock, and for much of the time will ride comparably to LE/RR Qs3R shocks, but they do not have REBOUND on them, which is what the R stands for in Qs3R. And I do believe the center shock is lower level then Qs3, and rear too.

Problem is, you will have hard time finding a LE now, as its early buy only....but you will find several T-cats out there, and even some 17 Tcat leftovers. If you are ok with a 137, and want to save some cash the Tat may be best way to go now. They "may" have longer belt life too.

Dan

As to why the SW is popular.....

Well, as I see the short history. Last season when the new turbo 998 was pre-released. Just about EVERYONE felt that the Yammie legendary history with cool clutches and great belt life would be the sled we all have dreamed of. While Cats history with the procross had gotten better slowly from 2012 debacle to the 15/16 models which I hear were pretty good, most felt that Yam clutches would be the ticket, and a new roller secondary to boot!

Well, fast forward after season one of the 998.....and you will find MANY MANY blown belt threads, and dozens of clutching threads and now replacement springs and rollers ect ect....While ironically, the CAT forums have had relatively little activity on blow belts or clutching.

Now, with that being said....is this simply because there were a TON more SW's sold in 17 then Cat 998s? Maybe, or is the clutching now BETTER on the cats, and is their belt which is priced like gold, superior to take the big HP? I think the jury is still out. Cat did recall their clutch last season too, and I believe they all get new primaries or at least much of the parts in in the primary, so Cat is being more proactive on their 998 IMO then Yam is. We here are all grabbing at our own fixes, and we hope we get it right, as YAM for 18 has made ZERO clutch changes(very disappointing)other then the roller update which was really in late 17. And even heard a guy say the new updated rollers are still no good.

So I wanted a 50th and wanted a Yam, and that is why I went this way...I have had great history with warranty from Yam, and a Horrible history of warranty from Cat, so that was a big factor for me. I tend to like to clutch all my sleds anyway , so the yam clutching is not bothering me too much, but ask me again at end of season. LOL

I would not hesitate to grab a Cat....it should work well IMO.

imo cat as better suspention but sidewinder has better clutches.

I believe Cat did a recall on there clutch's this past summer, something about clutch possibly exploding, so you would want to check that out if buying a Cat to confirm if this is true or not.

Back