• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Sidewinder vs thundercat

Sw21/41
Thunder 24/50 more od in clutches , surprising but for 2017 the AC seems to have a more reliable clutch..... at least they are under warranty!!!

The SW is faster everywhere for stock sled

The Thunder have better panel and better ski

My opinion why the 'Winder outsold Cat is, there were more Yamaha guys waiting for a change. As soon as the big Y put a killer motor in a good chassis with good shocks, we all jumped. I also think we all believed the clutches would be better, and to tell the truth, they just MAY be. The Cat clutches run HOT! Even Ben at TD showed that in his videos and belts are double the price. Yamaha guys are also "4-stroke" guys. Not all AC guys are. So AC guys jumped on that 800 motor.

My opinion why the 'Winder outsold Cat is, there were more Yamaha guys waiting for a change. As soon as the big Y put a killer motor in a good chassis with good shocks, we all jumped. I also think we all believed the clutches would be better, and to tell the truth, they just MAY be. The Cat clutches run HOT! Even Ben at TD showed that in his videos and belts are double the price. Yamaha guys are also "4-stroke" guys. Not all AC guys are. So AC guys jumped on that 800 motor.

Yep the clutch and belt thing mentioned was one of the major reasons that I chose the way I did, BUT that old technology which I perceived as being relatively new of, (tunes) coming over to the Yamaha side helped decide on either model yam or cat and not look at the Doos which were also on my mind because of their characteristics.

X2 but the qs3r shocks have rebound control which can make a big difference in transfer. Faster rebound will give more transfer. So clicker helps.
I agree 100%. I assumed the question was just about the transfer difference between track lengths, and not about the transfer diff due to shocks. So that is why I answered with each brand sled has no diff.

I never played with the Rebound settings at all as I did not have Toms sled long enough to dive in to everything. Is there a knob on lower part of shock like the DOO has? So no tool needed for R adjusting?

For quicker transfer, you want the shock to be able to move fast with ease...which on a DOO I would turn the clicker knob OUT all the way. I assume this is similar on qs3r?

Dan

Yes and while rebound is your friend, yamaha chose to deliver the sleds on the tight (closed) side. Freeing them up front and rear helped a lot. On mine anyway.

I agree 100%. I assumed the question was just about the transfer difference between track lengths, and not about the transfer diff due to shocks. So that is why I answered with each brand sled has no diff.

I never played with the Rebound settings at all as I did not have Toms sled long enough to dive in to everything. Is there a knob on lower part of shock like the DOO has? So no tool needed for R adjusting?

For quicker transfer, you want the shock to be able to move fast with ease...which on a DOO I would turn the clicker knob OUT all the way. I assume this is similar on qs3r?

Dan
Yes same.

Dan
Dan,the LE shocks on skid,have just the rear shock with rebound,and it is not a friendly area to get at,no knob,it has a screwdriver blade slot,a dime works ok,as long as it is not froze up,and yes,i did what cannondale27 AKA steve stated....lol did help transfer needed.

Every rebound adjustment is on the eyelet end of the shock rod doesn't matter the brand. Yes it is tricky to get at. I only wish my center had it too!

Any pics? Still no sled.

Not a knob then eh? That sucks.

Where do you guys tend to run the Rebound at(fronts and rear), is there a ton of clicks or is it also just 3?

Im guessing its alot of clicks.

thnx gang

Back