• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Sidewinder vs viper

Keep building viper or look for a sidewinder?

• Viper

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • Sidewinder

Votes: 6 60.0%

• Total voters

quentin lemay

Veteran
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2015 Yamaha viper mix 162 mpi turbo
Looking for opinions on what a guy should do.
Currently have a 15 mtx w/ mpi 190.
162x3”
Ice age rails
36” front end
And lots of other mods.

Is a guy better off looking for a sidewinder opposed to spending much more money on the viper? It’s been a great sled so far. Just looking for other people experience.
If anyone ends up in bc with a winder this year and feels up for switching sleds for a bit that could help too.
Thanks.

I went through the same thing. Have a Viper, but didn't want to keep putting money into it when I could have a factory turbo with Mitsubishi electronics and better body panels along with other updates and the ability to turn up the power at will. I just bought a 2017 Sidewinder LTX SE and am in the process of going through it doing all the checks and maintenance, it was ridden hard and put away wet a few times, but it's a solid sled. Looking forward to this winter for sure

Looking for opinions on what a guy should do.
Currently have a 15 mtx w/ mpi 190.
162x3”
Ice age rails
36” front end
And lots of other mods.

Is a guy better off looking for a sidewinder opposed to spending much more money on the viper? It’s been a great sled so far. Just looking for other people experience.
If anyone ends up in bc with a winder this year and feels up for switching sleds for a bit that could help too.
Thanks.
I think you'd be better off trading up. Remember, the Winder has 200 stock HP, and can go to 265-270 with just software. It can go to 300 with muffler and intake.

If your Viper will make another year without any major repairs needed,save your cash and snow check a 2023 winder! That way you can get exactly what you want.
If North America yamaha still made an mtx I would.
But unfortunately I have to find a used one.
Would like a 19 mtx 162
Ice age elevate kit
Cr light weight hood.
Would be a dream I think lol.

I went through the same thing. Have a Viper, but didn't want to keep putting money into it when I could have a factory turbo with Mitsubishi electronics and better body panels along with other updates and the ability to turn up the power at will. I just bought a 2017 Sidewinder LTX SE and am in the process of going through it doing all the checks and maintenance, it was ridden hard and put away wet a few times, but it's a solid sled. Looking forward to this winter for sure
X2 on this.
I know a few with the Viper with different kits on them.
They run good, but there are some issues that they deal with regularly that the Winder boys don't. I won't get into the issues here.
The Winder is designed for a Turbo with plenty of meat on the bone.

i:e POWER

In the stable, we have had 3-4 Vipers, turbo and non-turbo. All great sleds and when setup right, they work awesome!

But, the sidewinder is a great sled, with the amount of the tunes and hpr levels are so easy to get now. We now have a bunch of Sidewinders and love them

Last edited:

Back