• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Simmons Flexi Skis

Quincy1969

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2006 Yamaha Apex
Hi

I bought an o6 Apex a couple years back and I'm replacing the carbides on the skis which are Flexi Skis that use 2 stud carbide runners on each side of the skis.

First of all are these skis any good and secondly can you run different size carbides on the on the inside and outside edges.

Also how can I be sure which model APEX I have? On the tunnel there is a dial for the rear shock.

Thanks

I have Simmons Flex Skis on my RX-1 and run Bergstrom triple points on the inside and then ran one of his bars on the outside. However, once the triple points started to wear some (RX-1 has over 11,000 miles), I bought new triple points and put them on the inside and then put the old triple points on the outside. I liked the Flex Skis a lot as I would notice the skis getting on top of the snow rather than be buried in the snow with the stock ski. They also helped with darting but that could also be attributed to the triple points too. The only time they do not shine is when the snow is loose or sugary/granular as they don't have a center keel.

As for what model of Apex you have, would be best to post a picture of the front shocks and rear suspension to determine which model as there are some pretty smart TY'ers here that tell you which model based of seeing the shocks and rear suspension. It's possible you may have a GT as I have an 08 Apex LTX GT that instead of the dial, it has an electronic controlled shock. It also has Ohlins shocks on the front.

I have Simmons Flex Skis on my RX-1 and run Bergstrom triple points on the inside and then ran one of his bars on the outside. However, once the triple points started to wear some (RX-1 has over 11,000 miles), I bought new triple points and put them on the inside and then put the old triple points on the outside. I liked the Flex Skis a lot as I would notice the skis getting on top of the snow rather than be buried in the snow with the stock ski. They also helped with darting but that could also be attributed to the triple points too. The only time they do not shine is when the snow is loose or sugary/granular as they don't have a center keel.

As for what model of Apex you have, would be best to post a picture of the front shocks and rear suspension to determine which model as there are some pretty smart TY'ers here that tell you which model based of seeing the shocks and rear suspension. It's possible you may have a GT as I have an 08 Apex LTX GT that instead of the dial, it has an electronic controlled shock. It also has Ohlins shocks on the front.

Thanks for the info

I have an 06 Attak with the Simmons Flexi Ski's and I put 6in SnowStuds on both the inside and outside. They still dart a little or get pulled into a groove or rut. I was going to start to look for some different ski's to compare the 2, but I am not sure what the best ski is to help with darting and steering. Any recommendations on what ski route to go? C&A PRO RZ are supposed to be designed for trail and to help with darting. Any thoughts?

Had them, C&A Razors, Slydog trail, and slydog mountain. The best for me was slydog powder hounds with dual carbide on right ski and single on left ski. All properly shimmed of course. Quick run down:

Simmons - had in the era of ski doo pilot skis so they just followed them as the pattern was really close so lots of darting, bad push, and hard to steer
Razors - Aggressive nothing cornered better, but darted a lot, annoying a lot, and hard to steer
SD Trail/PH - Both keels are identical the PH are just wider. Dart like crazy but steer so nice, and corner moderately aggressive. Added the dualy bar on the left ski and single on right and VOILA pretty dang good in all conditions. Easy steering, no darting like at all, and good grip around a inside corner where I don't want to push into oncoming traffic, and some push on the outside corner when I push off the trail, all of that is controlled with the brake though. Very manageable. The PH width helped it float in the deep better then the trail version.

Summary - they are not PERFECT but they are close enough to have fun.

Regrets - I wanted to try stock ski with aggressive snowtrackers. Lots of positive feedback on this combo.

Had them, C&A Razors, Slydog trail, and slydog mountain. The best for me was slydog powder hounds with dual carbide on right ski and single on left ski. All properly shimmed of course. Quick run down:

Simmons - had in the era of ski doo pilot skis so they just followed them as the pattern was really close so lots of darting, bad push, and hard to steer
Razors - Aggressive nothing cornered better, but darted a lot, annoying a lot, and hard to steer
SD Trail/PH - Both keels are identical the PH are just wider. Dart like crazy but steer so nice, and corner moderately aggressive. Added the dualy bar on the left ski and single on right and VOILA pretty dang good in all conditions. Easy steering, no darting like at all, and good grip around a inside corner where I don't want to push into oncoming traffic, and some push on the outside corner when I push off the trail, all of that is controlled with the brake though. Very manageable. The PH width helped it float in the deep better then the trail version.

Summary - they are not PERFECT but they are close enough to have fun.

Regrets - I wanted to try stock ski with aggressive snowtrackers. Lots of positive feedback on this combo.

Thanks for all that great info.

Attachments

• 20190315_144146.jpg
    20190315_144146.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 88
  • 20190315_150446.jpg
    20190315_150446.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 82

Back