• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Ski Doo Oxygen helmet

Fleecer

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2019 SRX
I'm in the market for new helmet and looking for opinions.

I had the gmax s54 which has served me well. Before that had a HJC Symax, which also served me well, but preferred the gmax.

As I'm getting older, the old neck/back are arent as nimble as they use to be. I've been searching for the lightest helmet out there and keep coming back to the ski doo oxygen helmet. The only issue I have is it is not a modular.

Anyone out there have a season on the new Ski Doo Oxygen helmet?

Last edited:

I'm in the market for new helmet and looking for opinions.

I had the gmax s54 which has served me well. Before that had a HJC Symax, which also served me well, but preferred the gmax.

As I'm getting older, the old neck/back are arent as nimble as they use to be. I've been searching for the lightest helmet out there and keep coming back to the ski doo oxygen helmet. The only issue I have is it is not a modular.

Anyone out there have a season on the new Ski Doo Oxygen helmet?
I am in a similar situation and have been considering the Oxygen. My research gives me pause though, seems lots of complaints. Check out Doo talk, separation of the shield layers causing fogging on many. Dealers readily replace but that does not help if you are on a trip. Other issues as well with many saying not what was expected from a premium priced helmet. I expect these issues will be fixed but for now I will wait.

I am in a similar situation and have been considering the Oxygen. My research gives me pause though, seems lots of complaints. Check out Doo talk, separation of the shield layers causing fogging on many. Dealers readily replace but that does not help if you are on a trip. Other issues as well with many saying not what was expected from a premium priced helmet. I expect these issues will be fixed but for now I will wait.

Dan,
Thanks for sharing, I was not aware of those issues.

In light of that, let's change the post criteria to:

What is the best helmet out there?

Skidoo oxygen
Best helmet I’ve ever owned by far!!
No fogging
The issues have been with some shields that were not well sealed.
They are replacing them all when available

Head stays warm
When it’s really cold I do wear a bv2s face mask

Last edited:
I have been using the Oxygen helmet this year. I had two bv2s helmets before that.
The oxygen is much lighter and quieter than the bv2s. It is also much more comfortable wearing it over the coarse of a day.
I did have the visor separate on the first day I used it. The dealer replaced with another one.
My experience has been the colder the weather, the better the helmet works, absolutely no fogging.
On warmer days near OC the humidity in the helmet can accumulate on the sides causing light fogging.
Still the best most comfortable and lightest helmet a trail rider would want and my first choice every day.

Not worth the money any way you look at it. I have a BV2S and a Zoan Flux with electric shield. Never ever plugged it in and at $169 its a bargain.

Not worth the money any way you look at it. I have a BV2S and a Zoan Flux with electric shield. Never ever plugged it in and at $169 its a bargain.

Ramsomair,
Some research on the Zoan shows a weight of 6.9 lbs. Almost double the weight of the Oxygen and way too heavy for this old neck, albeit thanks for sharing.

Seems light compared to the BV2S which for some reason always fogged until I got the electric visor at $209 with tax.

I bought an Oxygen in December 2019, supposed to be the greatest thing since sliced bread. BRP's sizing chart is way off, my size was supposed to be medium. There is no way I could get it on so tried the next size up ( Large ) and it was extremely tight although it has compacted enough by now to get on and off and wear all day comfortably. The neck curtain is a royal pain in rear it never seems to be in the right place and the power cord is always inside the neck of my suit when installed as per BRP directions, seems I am always asking my wife to fish it out of my suit. The magnetic connector is a good idea although putting it at the rear of the helmet is for me still an awkward place to reach ( see above ) There are 2 exhaust ports and NO fresh air ports, with the neck curtain some what sealing off the neck area where does BRP think the fresh air comes from. I have found that after I put on the helmet and adjust the neck curtain I have to ride a bit to with the visor open to some extent so the visor will clear then I can close it up. To be fair this helmet is light and the view is fantastic. At $800.00 I expected more, I will not give up on it but if I had to do it again I probably would have gone for a another brand of helmet.

Well, I ended up pulling the trigger on an oxygen helmet and have been using it all winter thus far. My feelings towards it have been bitter sweet.

Here is what I like:
At -30f there is nothing better. Helmet is warmer than anything else out there. It is light, provides a good field of vision and is quiet. I've had many helmets with flip down sunglasses that all fogged in extremely cold weather. This one does too on occasion, but putting it up in the heated garage for a minute clears it right up. I also bought the light that mounts in the mouthpiece. This is an awesome accessory. Lights up well and ideal to change belt and/or work on sled at night, no need to carry flashlight in my pocket anymore.

Here is what I hate:
As great as the helmet is at -30f, it totally sucks at +30f as it is way too hot. Shutting the helmet heater off at warmer temps will cause shield to fog, while leaving it on will cook your head. The only answer is to put heater on and leave crack in shield, but then your eyes water.

The neck curtain works pretty good, but when all tucked in hinders your ability to turn your head. Feels like I'm wearing a neck cast. The neck warmer is also tapered towards the back and is too short, which let's an air current hit the back of your neck. I had the wifey sew some material to extend the back curtain and this issue has been was cured.

I miss not having a modular. When putting a modular on, I put put it on moving from the back forward, hence my balaclaca/neckwarmer would not get disturbed. The oxygen has to be put on from the top/down. In doing so, it will pull my balaclava down and or Jack it up somehow and is a PINA.

Here is what I absolutely hate about this helmet. At 100 miles an hour and above, the wind opens the shield. This is extremely annoying. Racing my Buds, I have 1 hand on the throttle and the other holding the shield. It would kinda be nice to have two hands on the handlebars when pushing 140mph. Bear in mind this helmet was designed by ski doo and they dont make anything fast enough to cause the shield to open, hence they may not be aware of the issue.

All in all, the helmet works pretty good, but not worth the 7-800 dollar price tag.

I bought an Oxygen in December 2019, supposed to be the greatest thing since sliced bread. BRP's sizing chart is way off, my size was supposed to be medium. There is no way I could get it on so tried the next size up ( Large ) and it was extremely tight although it has compacted enough by now to get on and off and wear all day comfortably. The neck curtain is a royal pain in rear it never seems to be in the right place and the power cord is always inside the neck of my suit when installed as per BRP directions, seems I am always asking my wife to fish it out of my suit. The magnetic connector is a good idea although putting it at the rear of the helmet is for me still an awkward place to reach ( see above ) There are 2 exhaust ports and NO fresh air ports, with the neck curtain some what sealing off the neck area where does BRP think the fresh air comes from. I have found that after I put on the helmet and adjust the neck curtain I have to ride a bit to with the visor open to some extent so the visor will clear then I can close it up. To be fair this helmet is light and the view is fantastic. At $800.00 I expected more, I will not give up on it but if I had to do it again I probably would have gone for a another brand of helmet.

I agree with much of what you say. The cable through jacket and neck curtain can be a royal pain. I was up your way just over a week ago, temperature -38 and I had to have my pal check out my collar and cable, just like mother used to do. :-((. Otherwise I got drafts at times.....also some leakage around the shield from some cross winds, at times causing me to think I would get frost bite. I bought another neck warmer on a gas stop and that helped a bunch. Bottom line I will be keeping it but will be extra careful preparing for rides.

When warmer out I just rely on the neck curtain. Interesting your shield opens? Mine does not at least up to 135 mph
If heat is not on low it does fog

I have the wire free of my coat
Run from dash, under bars over my right leg to back of helmet.

I have read in their literature that drafts are possible under certain conditions. Funny, I have never adjusted the heat setting and have never felt overly warm.....maybe it's just me. I may try taking the cable out of jacket.

It’s been warm here the last few days I just didn’t plug it in and worked great no fog , shield opening is weird I’m thinking it’s not locked down tight because there’s ice built up from being cracked open. I have to wear a belaclava when it’s cold because the idiots who designed the back made it toooooooooo short and you have exposed skin ! Absolutely ridiculous! Otherwise I like it a lot .

Back