• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Skidoo 1.5" Ice Attack

Crazy Canuk

Expert
When I pick up my Spring Order this fall, I intend to do a track change. I had the factory 1.6 Cobra on my Viper and liked in but would like a bit more traction on the ice without doing studs. I was thinking either the 1.22 Ice Attack or the 1.6 Ice Cobra until I saw this. I like the deeper lug and it seems to be only sold through Ski-Doo. Any opinions on this? I read a bunch of threads on the Ice Stork but it seems they like to fall apart.

I intend to keep the tune stock (for now) and will put 6.9 Pilots on the front as per Dan's thread. Had the Tuners on my Viper and feel that I am lucky to be alive here typing about them,

When I pick up my Spring Order this fall, I intend to do a track change. I had the factory 1.6 Cobra on my Viper and liked in but would like a bit more traction on the ice without doing studs. I was thinking either the 1.22 Ice Attack or the 1.6 Ice Cobra until I saw this. I like the deeper lug and it seems to be only sold through Ski-Doo. Any opinions on this? I read a bunch of threads on the Ice Stork but it seems they like to fall apart.

I intend to keep the tune stock (for now) and will put 6.9 Pilots on the front as per Dan's thread. Had the Tuners on my Viper and feel that I am lucky to be alive here typing about them,

My buddy had the 1.6 Ice Cobra on his RTX. Nice track if in fresh snow, but on hard pack, the soft lugs tend to bend and just spin for longgg ways, and you will loose 3-5 mph on top end. But yes, on glare ice it is much better then no studs.

I have the 1.22 Ice Attak on my LTX. No bending lugs here, this track really works nice on all, except for glare ice, then it becomes a bit scary. I damaged mine trying for top end on an icy lake. The ice was smooth but had spots where the old snowmobile track impressions going in opposite directions, were 1/4”or so higher then the rest of the lake. Rain had flooded the lake and then froze over so it was fast. Great trails that day and that frozen lake had a bunch of us trying for speed. Once back to the trailer, once loaded, my buddy noticed that I had torn some lugs off, and as with any of the 1 ply tracks, when lugs come off it also rips some track skin/top layer exposing the woven 1 ply.

So as far as the new Ski doo 1.5. Make sure the lugs don’t bend over for the Sidewinder power, and I would make sure this track has the needed driver bumps. Many skidoo tracks are not the same as Yamahas camoplasts. They minus some of the non extrovert drivers on the track! Just saying...

So your new Winder is a 137?

Since these are 2.86 pitch you could use
9191H - Ice Attak XT - 137x15x1.22 at 2.86 pitch
And Tracks USA has an OEM version in those dimensions for $50 less

9390H - Ice Storm - 137x15x1.25 at 2.86 pitch

The Ice Cobra comes in two-ply for the 2.52 pitch and single-ply for the 2.86 pitch. So the one I have on my Apex is two-ply. The 2.86, only comes in singly ply from what I can find.

I would give them a call and confirm. I'm not a track guy, all I know is what I read.

Funny I'm super intrigued about the new 1.5" Ice Ripper XT on the 2020 MXZX's since I have a 129". Seems only available through Skidoo dealer and they want twice as much as a Ice Storm 150 so I dunno but I also want to get away from traditional studs and get a bit deeper lug than the 1.25 Rip II.

and I would make sure this track has the needed driver bumps. Many skidoo tracks are not the same as Yamahas camoplasts. They minus some of the non extrovert drivers on the track

Thanks for the replies. I had no idea about the above so will have to check and see. This track seems like it would be a good compromise. Pretty decent lug height and a lot more little studs than the 1.6 Ice Cobra. I do mostly trail riding but live on a lake where the snow between my house and the trail often gets quite deep and the incline to get up to my house is fairly large. That's why I would want the deeper lug and I did really like the Cobra I had.

and I would make sure this track has the needed driver bumps. Many skidoo tracks are not the same as Yamahas camoplasts. They minus some of the non extrovert drivers on the track

Thanks for the replies. I had no idea about the above so will have to check and see. This track seems like it would be a good compromise. Pretty decent lug height and a lot more little studs than the 1.6 Ice Cobra. I do mostly trail riding but live on a lake where the snow between my house and the trail often gets quite deep and the incline to get up to my house is fairly large. That's why I would want the deeper lug and I did really like the Cobra I had.

On the 'Driver Bump' issue, can you tell me why that would matter given we have extrovert drivers on the Winder? I am just curious?

Thanks

Neither did I until.
Buddy had the 1.6 Ice Cobra on his 17 RTX, did not like the spinning out of hole and the loss of top end, SO swapped it out with a really nice 1.25” Rip 1 that came off a SkiDoo. Once installed it made way too much clicking noise from around the driver area. My stock track when new made much the same noise but no where near as loud as this. When I first picked up my new LTX back in 2017, the dealer started mine and told me that slight clicking noise was normal but in would wear in quick. And it did wear in quick.

So back to buddy’s sled. Tried running it for a while but it was WOW loud, so after checking things out and measuring, it was found that the driver windows were just a hair smaller and of course the missing driver bumps. It came apart, moved the driver cogs a bit to match perfectly with track, and still way too loud. It came off for forever this time.

You can buy an aftermarket shaft with the skidoo cogs, to match that mess if you wanted!!

Morale of the story. The SkiDoo Rip 1 will not work good with the Yamaha driver cogs. Maybe the SkiDoo 1.5 that you speak of will ? But I would call and ask questions before buying and installing.

Good luck with your choice, I wish you better luck.

This is all good advice and why I like this site. I had some back and forth with the Camso rep. He was very helpful and nice enough to chat with the folks in engineering. Bottom line, they do not recommend this track for the SW application. They said the Ice Storm would be a better fit. After reading reviews about them failing, I am hesitate and back to my 1.22 Ice Attack vs the 1.6 Ice Cobra. Glad I still have some research time before the snow flies. My riding is mostly trail but I do have a good patch of lake that gets pretty deep and an incline to my house (also gets deep) so back to the drawing board!

I put Igrips in my track and they held up well. allows you to make virtually any track into a pre-studded.

Did they say why?
I talked with them at the Toronto sled show either 2 or 3 years ago about the ice cobra. They didn’t recommend this either but it’s because these are single ply and they felt with the horse power one should be using a 2 ply
Ive used the Ice Cobra and buddy is using the Ice Storm. No problems in the snow and no failures but since im getting new sled I would like more bites than those tracks in a taller lug track.
Let me know if they offered specifics
Thanks again
Mike

I put Igrips in my track and they held up well. allows you to make virtually any track into a pre-studded.
I just installed Igrips on my 1.6 cobra track yesterday. I'm at 260 hp and hope that they work well. Good to hear they are working for you. I'm not concerned with top end speed (single ply), just hoping that the track is right for the power.

I just installed Igrips on my 1.6 cobra track yesterday. I'm at 260 hp and hope that they work well. Good to hear they are working for you. I'm not concerned with top end speed (single ply), just hoping that the track is right for the power.
How many pics were you able to install and which model?
Thanks

I am at 96. They are 25mm notshouldered. My track is 137. Mainly a trail rider.

How hard was the install of those igrip studs?

How hard was the install of those igrip studs?
Very easy, the package of studs has an installation tool as well. Just be sure to adjust the collar flush or slightly sunk so that you don't screw them in too far. Go slowly, did my track in under a hour.

Back