• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Sled allocation 24

darv

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
08 Apex 40th LTX
Canada dealers know what sleds they can order for the 24 season my dealer can’t get any SRX so if you are going to order a new sled next year you better call dealer now an they can tell you what they are going to be allocated,

You think its Artic Cat thats the problem??? Why do you think that ??? Is this what your dealer told you ???

Makes sense, Yamaha is a huge engine manufacturer with equally large manufacturing capacity and lets face it, manufacturing in high volume is what the Japanese do really, really well. Arctic Cat is splitting its capacity to accommodate the new catalyst and existing procross and both share little with the rest of textron so you have lower volume parts and limited capacity as all of the assembly has to be justified in the local production lines. it is likely Cat that is the problem.

You think its Artic Cat thats the problem??? Why do you think that ??? Is this what your dealer told you ???
Because I friend who works there high up an told that the contract for Yamaha states how many sleds they will build , like last year yamaha wanted more of the 200 built but cat told them NO then two weeks later they find out that cat was building ski doo one Yamaha was set because they basically subsidize the price of the sled for ski doo

Yamaha is in a tight spot. Since they can only supply engines, they have limited manufacturing options. Long term, I cannot imagine Yamaha staying in the sled business with cat.

Because I friend who works there high up an told that the contract for Yamaha states how many sleds they will build , like last year yamaha wanted more of the 200 built but cat told them NO then two weeks later they find out that cat was building ski doo one Yamaha was set because they basically subsidize the price of the sled for ski doo
Forgive my misunderstanding, but I think your telling me that Yamaha has a set contract for Cat to build only so many sleds and when Yamaha wanted more built Cat declined last year . Now this year your saying Cat is building sleds for Ski-Doo indirectly because of the lost lawsuit which they are now paying ??? Is this what your saying ????

Makes sense, Yamaha is a huge engine manufacturer with equally large manufacturing capacity and lets face it, manufacturing in high volume is what the Japanese do really, really well. Arctic Cat is splitting its capacity to accommodate the new catalyst and existing procross and both share little with the rest of textron so you have lower volume parts and limited capacity as all of the assembly has to be justified in the local production lines. it is likely Cat that is the problem.
Yes that sure makes sense, but there seems to be more to this story than we currently realize..The boys in Toronto sure seem tight lip.. Would like to see the actual entire Yamaha personal top to bottom that only work on sled business.. Handful of people ? Hundreds?

How many years is this going to carry on before we can walk into a Yamaha dealer and order the sled we want? This is absolute BS.
When cat goes away the problem goes away!

Manufacturing contracts are built on sales projections. Yamaha says they want X amount of sleds, Arctic Cat agrees, capacity is set aside to build Yamaha sleds. Yamaha comes back later and says 'build us more pls' and Cat says.. nope, lines are full, we have no more capacity. The reason why they have no capacity is almost irrelevant. For Yamaha to have more built they would have to allocate more up front which means more blue, less green.

Yes that sure makes sense, but there seems to be more to this story than we currently realize..The boys in Toronto sure seem tight lip.. Would like to see the actual entire Yamaha personal top to bottom that only work on sled business.. Handful of people ? Hundreds?

The fact that Yamaha continues to drive demand on its own with a Cat manufactured chassis is of concern to Cat because its dilutive to the brand to have more YamaCats running around than CatMahas. It would be different if Yamaha had exited the business entirely, Cat would be happy to have their brand reputation lifted by the performance and reliability of their sleds exclusively powered by Yamaha motors.

The org chart for Yamaha Snowmobile division is probably accessible somewhere with some digging, my guess is that it is a small org.

Its just hard to tell but Yamaha as a japanese corporate culture company has always been tight lipped and they do things the Japanese way which is micro improvements every year until whatever it is they are working on runs out of steam in the market and then the put a huge effort into a game changer and then micro-improvements again.

As to the 'more to the story'. We may never know.

I noticed a marketing strategy from yamacat back in 2017, and spoke about it back then but not many agreed, but then came Covid and the problems it caused to manufacturers, suppliers and the consumer!

This situation started out with the Spring Surge LE models, which could only be bought through the Spring Surge program. It made complete sense to me back then, (Supply and Demand tactics), whereas I went through this same marketing strategy years ago with a Harley Davidson bike that I purchased. Back then for a while the price of an HD went through the roof because of so few of them being built! soon after I bought, HD started to double down on how many were being built, thus they overloaded the market and both used and new bike prices fell hard.

Will this same strategy backfire for Yamacat?
As of now used 998 Yamacat prices are holding their own quite well! But buying some new models like the SRX, are way out of control!

Bad for consumers but ideal foe manufacturers!

Back