• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Sloppy Steering / Excessive Freeplay

Embden

Extreme
I have an 06 Apex Gt with just over 3000 miles on it. I have been really happy with the sled in every way. I just came back from a trip today in Maine and had some serious issues with darting and sloppy play in the steering. When the sled was new I had darting issues like everyone else. I shimmed and switched to Simmons skis and things were great. All of a sudden the sled is darting all over the place. The skis are able to move either way about 1/2" without moving the handle bars..... the handle bars will move almost a full inch either way without moving the skis. I assume that bushings or tie rods must be worn out. ??? I did change to a Rox Riser but put on about 700 miles with no problems. Not sure if this may have put more stress or load on the whole steering geometry?? I remember there always being a little freeplay in the bars but I wish it could be TIGHT! Anyone else come across this??

Zero dart with the Simmons if set up properly. Check the toe-in. It should be out just slightly. I have a set of more aggressive wear bars that I don't care for but play with the front spring adjusters. Once you find the sweet spot you'll love it. The slop in the steering is a little annoying.

I agree that once you have things set up (including the "toe") that The Simmons skis have zero darting. I have had about 3000 awesome miles with no darting complaints and things dramatically changed over the last 200 miles. I noticed significant freeplay in the steering and slop in the skis. I am sure that my issues are coming from worn out parts either in the tie rod ends or bushings in the spindles or steering post. I will start taking things apart to get a closer look this week. I was just wondering if anyone else has had to change parts because of similar problems.

A pair of doolies fixes the darting. They are a lot cheaper than new skis and then new wearbars to. No trick to setting them up either. Also I have 8500 miles on my sled, in Michigan's twisty trails, and the steering is still tight. Over the years, I have found that the further apart the bars are on the ski, the harder it is to turn, which = wear on the linkage.

check your bushing in font end if they are worn get the better one from pioner perforamce i bet that they are worn out

Well I finally got to tear apart the front end of my Apex. I found excessive wear on just about all the bushings in the whole front end. I am definately suprised to see all these parts with so much wear with just 3200 miles. Makes be wonder about the wear and tear in the rear skid. I think there should be sealed bearings in these crucial areas instead of bushings..... just my thoughts. I will replace them this week.

hi you can order better bushing from pioneer performance you can call them 716-496-8800 it's going to cost about a $100.00 for the front end and you better look athe rear to you are going to be surprise but at this time noboddy makes better ones like the front from these guys they are made out of NYLATRON which is a oil and glass inpregnated plastic which is self lubricating part # are frony bulkhead kit # P-S128 $39.95
spindle kit P-S127 $ 22.95 A-arm kit # P-S126 $59.95

hope this help good luck

While the Pioneer bushings are very good, the Ulmer bronze oilite bushings are even better. Should last longer than any type of plastic. I was very impressed after installing these.

Thanks for the feedback. I will comprise a parts list tomorrow after I finish tearing my sled apart. My understanding is that a ball joint should have "NO Play" in is whatsoever..... mine all have a slight chatter, so I will definately be changing these too, in addition to all the bushings. The other thing that I realized is that there are 6 bearings in the stearing column. I noticed them on a micro fiche on0line parts finder. I haven't got enough of the sled apart to realize if these are also worn out. I was just wondering if any of you other guys have changed these bearings in the steering column.... or does anyone make an aftermarket column that is any better? Thanks again for the feedback :rocks:

Back