• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

excessive play in steering

leepster

Extreme
I have a 06 apex rtx and I can move the handles bars about 3 inches before the skis start moving. Just wondering if there is a common problem here. I tried a couple of searches but didn't see anything. Sled has about 6000 miles on it. Thanks

A bit of movement is common with all of these 4 stroke Yammis, although yours seems a lot worse than most.

You need replacement steering blocks. OFT and Ulmers sell them.

You can also check the " relay rod " it is attach to end of shaft close the the oil tank.

Change mine this year for my sled ( 2006 ) and steering block and got my steering tight like brand new.

Not to turn you away from OFT of Ulmers because they make quality products but if you are looking at a cheaper alternative; I picked up the stock steering bushing for $2 a piece from a dealer. You need 6 of them but for $12 my steer tightened right up. I realize the won't last as long but the others but if your tight on $ it helps for a season or two.

x2 sledneck22 cant beat $12 dollars and some fun wrenching in the garage for cheap steering fix. Just did by buddies.

Mine was the same way. I changed the steering blocks and it didn't fix it one bit. It was the steering rod bushing on top of the chaincase that was bad.

number1kyster said:
Mine was the same way. I changed the steering blocks and it didn't fix it one bit. It was the steering rod bushing on top of the chaincase that was bad.

Was there not some aftermarket ones available that someone posted not that long ago?

I am interested in seeing them again, plus any ordering info?

Leepster,
I recommend checking play in all the joints and knuckles. Start in front of the gas tank and work your way all the way to the skis. Play of that magnitude is a collection of a bunch of heim joints and bushings. Don't forget to look at the arms in the front beneath the airbox.

Changed steering block: no difference.

had the dealer check bushing etc... said it was normal play..

all 3 of my yams are pretty much 2-3 inches play at the end of the bar..

another little anoyement Yam engineers could look at...

:nos

Back