• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Snow flap trimming worries

hey guys,

just wanted to share what i did to the flap...

very easy to do and looks sweet...

i used 1/8 alum x 2'' wide, i copied the hole pattern from the factory piece,
no need to use the upper hole, the 1/8 alum is more than strong enough...

i also used 1/8 alum x 1'' too keep the flap up the way i like it, ( you can bend it as much as you want to get your desired angle...

rivet everything back together.. i used 1/4'' SS bolts for the flap instead of the rivets.. a lot easier to take off if you have to...

you can see from the first pic how much higher the flap sit...

ill be doing one this week will post pics without flap,bumper,tail light cover to see it riveted to the tunnel...

Attachments

• DSC08282-1.jpg
    DSC08282-1.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 181
  • DSC08383-1.jpg
    DSC08383-1.jpg
    213.7 KB · Views: 164
  • DSC08888-1.jpg
    DSC08888-1.jpg
    259.7 KB · Views: 172
  • DSC08686-1.jpg
    DSC08686-1.jpg
    263.7 KB · Views: 170
  • DSC0777-1.jpg
    DSC0777-1.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 131
  • DSC01111-1.jpg
    DSC01111-1.jpg
    232.8 KB · Views: 124

That looks good,but it still looks like if you try to back up or turn around into some deep snow on the trail the bottom will bend into the track. Have you tested that out?

Fabio said:
hey guys,

just wanted to share what i did to the flap...

very easy to do and looks sweet...

i used 1/8 alum x 2'' wide, i copied the hole pattern from the factory piece,
no need to use the upper hole, the 1/8 alum is more than strong enough...

i also used 1/8 alum x 1'' too keep the flap up the way i like it, ( you can bend it as much as you want to get your desired angle

rivet everything back together.. i used 1/4'' SS bolts for the flap instead of the rivets.. a lot easier to take off if you have to

let me know if i can help if anybody would like to do the same...

Looks great Fabio, thanks for sharing the pics and info ;)!

Hey aceltx09,

i know what you mean and so far it hasn't got stuck under the tunnel, this will be the third winter now with the flap this way..

but you never know what can happen..

by having the two alum pieces coming down it makes the flap hard to bend back into the tunnel and get stuck..

i see a lot of apex sleds and there flap are all at diff angles because of the factory support is not strong enough and starts to bend back towards to track just by the weight of the snow some times..

when i removed my flap support i couldn't believe how out of shape it was... (weak)...

also by doing this little mod the flap actually raises up right to the black trim (tail light Cover) about 1'' higher than stock.. look at the last pic you can see the flap up against the trim...

Oh OK, I thought you just did it. So if its been 3 years it must be fine. Good job, I just got sick of coming off the trailer and backing up getting it stuck and chewed up,I just cut it. Maybe I will give that a shot this summer. We will see. Just so nice not even thinking about it anymore when going in reverse with it cut.

aceltx09 if it works than leave it,

i think that's why Yamaha changed there flap angle for 2011,

i don't understand what they where thinking of,
i seen it all the time,
people unloading there apex's and there flap getting stuck

I'm sure there are a lot of fixes for this, i just wanted to show mine...

Fabio said:
aceltx09 if it works than leave it,

i think that's why Yamaha changed there flap angle for 2011,

i don't understand what they where thinking of,
i seen it all the time,
people unloading there apex's and there flap getting stuck

I'm sure there are a lot of fixes for this, i just wanted to show mine...

I think I am going to try your idea fabio, I have access to some scrap aluminum pieces so I may as well take advantage of those.

Curious, (with out being near my sled at the moment) if these pieces can be mounted somehow without taking the pieces apart like you did?

Heads up, I trimmed my flap at the separation line on my 2011 SE as I have done on my previous 06 GT and now the back of my Jacket gets caked with snow build up. I'm not sure if it is the angle or the length of the flap. My buddy hasn't trimmed his on his 2011 SE. When I get feedback from him I'll post an update.

I'm thinking that with the full length flap it might still catch in the track while backing down off the trailer and bend the brackets but It's worth a try.

CaptCaper by doing this it raises the flap up also,

the pics of the brackets are not the same as the ones i used, my buddy is a weight freak so he want the two brackets that come down in alum,

if you look closely mine are galvanized metal, but the 2'' wide plate that goes to the tunnel is alum,

there's no way they will bend back,

ill post a pic of me pushing the flap all the way back so you can see that it wont get stuck..

Back