• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

snow flap

apexgt4life

Expert
well i did it last night, went in reverse on my 06 gt and snow flap got sucked in and turned to swiss cheese by studs, whats the fix, i heard talk about replace with 07 flap, any pic or help would be great, why is 07 flap different and how do i do it

guys,,,,be sure to look at tunnel...might be rippled....backing of trailers and into snowbanks we need to really watch out!

07 flap helps alot,but it COULD still get in there if not careful...just alot LESS likely with 07 flap.

remove bumper to drill out old rivets....bend stock backing PLATE underneath down abit,as the 07 plate is less angled...otherwise 07 flap sticks back out way to far...rivet flap on and away you go.

dan

Attachments

• sledstuff (21).jpg
    sledstuff (21).jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 135
  • sledstuff (10).jpg
    sledstuff (10).jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 134
Even though my '07 flap is much better than the flap it replaced, it still can get stuck underneath backing off the trailer...even very slowly. I usually back off slowly, then step off and give the rear-end a tug once it's on the ground. A strap from the rear grab bar to the flap, or cutting the flap is probably the only way to stop it completely.

JJWickenhauser said:
I did the same thing to mine yesterday, how irritatng! That and you look like an idiot. The 07 flap sits out way further that the 06 does. I'll be purchasing one soon.

Yeah mine sits out even farther now, as I gunned it coming off a mogul and bent it even more.... oh well. :)

The 07 flap can and will get sucked up although it isn't as likely to be shredded as the 06 flap. I think I will try to cut my 07 flap off to see if that will help.

OK, this is a very simple fix. Since the snowflap doesn't need the full length (plenty of length at the cut line) why would anyone go through the trouble of "watching out" for it when backing off a trailer or in deep snow. Just simply cut it off at the line. The flap looks even, functions perfectly and cannot get caught up in the track. ;)!

rock said:
OK, this is a very simple fix. Since the snowflap doesn't need the full length (plenty of length at the cut line) why would anyone go through the trouble of "watching out" for it when backing off a trailer or in deep snow. Just simply cut it off at the line. The flap looks even, functions perfectly and cannot get caught up in the track. ;)!

Some people dont like short flaps,as they can throw some serious chunks at your riding partners....also our apexs can run rather hot in some condtions,as the shorter flap reduces the amount of snow which helps to cool heat exchangers under tunnel...and personally i think they look goofy,too short..

so be careful or just cut it off...your choice. :Rockon:

Dan

It's not a matter of being smart enough to watch for it, it's a matter of it's not necessary. Given proper ride in height you don't have to worry about "serious chunks" being thrown or decreasing the cooling factor. I just spent a good part of last week riding 1000+ miles and everyone I rode with said they saw no increase in the amount of snow (or snow dust) thrown. As far as looks go, what difference does that few inches make? Does everyone's sled that's equipped with a short flap look "goofy"? Given that they can get sucked up at full length and cannot when cut off can you give me a good reason not to do it?

machzed said:
rock said:

Some people dont like short flaps,as they can throw some serious chunks at your riding partners....also our apexs can run rather hot in some condtions,as the shorter flap reduces the amount of snow which helps to cool heat exchangers under tunnel...and personally i think they look goofy,too short..

but you're right,it can't get stuck!....so if your not smart enough to be careful while coming off trailer OR backing into snowbanks,then by all means cut it off!... :Rockon:

well put
Dan

rock said:
It's not a matter of being smart enough to watch for it, it's a matter of it's not necessary. Given proper ride in height you don't have to worry about "serious chunks" being thrown or decreasing the cooling factor. I just spent a good part of last week riding 1000+ miles and everyone I rode with said they saw no increase in the amount of snow (or snow dust) thrown. As far as looks go, what difference does that few inches make? Does everyone's sled that's equipped with a short flap look "goofy"? Given that they can get sucked up at full length and cannot when cut off can you give me a good reason not to do it?

Trust me..when you get into a hardpack situation or long road with little snow or ice...your HEAT TEMP light COULD POSSIBLY come on and you will have to stop and let it cool down,or fry your motor...

cutting the flap is a LAST RESORT for those who cannot remember to back up carefully....IMO id much rather have a cool running sled and back up slower....but this is ONLY MY OPINION.

a few yrs ago i was running behind a buddies mach....he had the cut flap,when DOOS first came out with their RER...well,one of his studs just happened to let go,and yep...huge gouge into my hood...so I am not a big fan of short snowflaps.

why do you think snowcrossers have a SUPER LONG flap?....cause they roost so much snow...no different when riding behind an aggressive buddy.

you can run HIGHER engine temps with shorter flap..this has been proven time and time again..will you overheat?...maybe not...will it be hotter then with stock flap...YES...

why does the new CAT(f series) have such a long curved flap?...it aids in cooling,and allows them to run smaller exchangers to save weight and money in design....it runs just as cool cause flaps keep snow swirling back into tunnel.

hope that helps you understand ;)!

Dan

I certainly agree with you in that I have a problem with people giving incorrect info. As for my personal credentials I have put on over 30,000 miles in the last 8 years on 7 Yamaha snowmobiles. I have 1800 miles on my current short flap Attak with no temp warning light issues. Due to low snow totals we have nothing but hard pack conditions to ride on. Surely with the very long stretches of hard pack railroad bed trails in northern Maine I should've had issues with my engine overheating. Maybe I just have an extraordinary sled.
The person that originally posted wanted a fix to backing over his snow flap. Through my personal experience I gave him factual advice on how to prevent it. Isn't that the point of this forum? For you to say definately that people "will" have their temp light come on is just plain wrong. Some people may, but, it isn't definate when you choose to cut a few inches off your snow flap. People can make their own choice. I've put hundreds of miles on my sled with no issues (especially backing onto my flap). What I've suggested flat out eliminates the potential for a problem with the flap. I'm not going to say that no one will ever have a temp light come on as a result of shortening their flap anymore than you can say it definately will happen. I'm still amazed my sled hasn't just blown up given your info. Wow, am I lucky or what? :-o

Back