• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Snowmobile v Motorcycle comfort and ease

yamadoo

Yamadoo is a snowmobile ' aholic'.
Country
USA
Snowmobile
15 Viper STX DX red/white- GPS and KING AIR suspension 4kmiles
13 Apex XTX 45 anniversary RED/WHITE/BLACK 3K miles
10 Vector LTX Blue 9kmiles
11 Venture GT 4k miles
86 SnoScoot(2) for grand kids
I notice that many ride cycle in the summer.

I had one just briefly 25 years ago Never got that same feel of confidence and controll that I have had on snowmobile. I felt unsafe, like cars were trying to hit me, and like I just did not have the balance and handling down like on a sled for sudden avoidance moves. Sled balance and feel just seems to come naturally, were I have to think on a bike.
Probably just to little seat time on a bike.

Anyone else just feel 'off' on a bike compared to a sled?
BOy it is going to be a long summer
Yamapoo

I almost feel more comfortable on bikes than sleds. I have no problem on the roads, its the icy trails thats I worry about. I have had more friends get injured-killed on sleds than bikes. And trust me we ride just as hard on bikes as we do sleds.

i"ve been ridin m/cycles for 20+ yrs. sleds for about 10. i love both. but sleddin has been more dangerous for me. ive gone for some pretty nasty wipe outs on my sleds....but i probly asked for it......since i drive rather on the agressive side. never dumped any of my bike yet.....and i have found that m/cycle ridin has impoved my overall driving safety....as i have learned over the yrs to anticipate(or at least to try to) the moves of other drivers on the road. i love ridin m/cycles.....look forward to it every yr. there r far more sledding fatalities in my area compared to cycles.

I haven't ridden a 'donarcycle' in about 6 years. My last one was a '79 Suzuki GS1000L No doubt that both are dangerous, and it definitely takes allot more to learn how to ride a big street bike safely and with confidence in your abilities. At least the majority of people pay attention to the lines painted on the pavement and stay on their side around blind curves.

The thing I like about snowmobiling compared to motorcycles is this: When you ride your sled, it doesn't matter what you ride and nobody tries to make you feel like poop because it's NOT a Harley or a custom. And there aren't any cars/trucks, and semis except when you hit roads.

yamadoo said:
I felt unsafe, like cars were trying to hit me,
Soccer Moms driving Excursions, talking on cell phones and trying to give their demonspawn kids a swat in the backseat got me off my bike and on to ATV's.

SledderSteve said:
Soccer Moms driving Excursions, talking on cell phones and trying to give their demonspawn kids a swat in the backseat got me off my bike and on to ATV's.

And that doesn't include the driving makeup artists on crack!

4Fighter said:
..... At least the majority of people pay attention to the lines painted on the pavement and stay on their side around blind curves.

True........but let me throw another idea at you........I rode for almost 25 yrs....long before introduced to sleds.........I also grew up in S.C. so you could ride virtually all year.......now, here's the wrinkle no matter how safely you ride.......the "infamous" Carolina sand!!!! :? Both South & North. It blows across roads pretty much all year long. So you go sailing around a smooth high-speed curve leaned over just enjoying the ride........AND.....it's pretty much like hitting black ice. Hello instant road rash :( Not to mention scratches & scrapes to the bike. Never did figure out any way to spot it in the distance. Just figured it was "the cost of doing business" ;)!

Bikes and sleds are two totally different experiences for me.

On a sled I wear a full face helmet because probably I'm going to use it at some point in the day.

On my bike I wear a beanie.

On my sled I do things befitting the off road experience. Riding in the mountains gives me a full workout in just a few hours.

My biking is mostly highway and a relaxing experience. I can sit on it all day for 1000km and have a great day just looking around at scenery.

I must say I feel safer on a sled because I dont go fast anyhow. On a bike I am safe and comfortable with my own driving but it is everyone else that makes me nervous. On a bike lets face it whether you are right or wrong, you are going to pay. On the highway I feel very safe on a bike it is in the city where I get nervous.

Last monday past I was riding my bike in town stopped at a light and this lady stops one foot from my rear fender. I glance back and give her a good long look then look down and see how close she has parked to me and shake my head and look forward again. The light turns green and I take my sweet time to get going because she parked so close and went 40 kph in a 50 kph. Well she would slow down and speed up right up to me and did that about 3 times. I gave her the number one sign and she rode my #*$&@ all the way to next set of lights. I hear a siren blip a couple of time and see lights a couple cars behind me on another lane. Here a cop was watching the whole thing including her park job at the lights prior and her ramming tactic to get me to speed up. We both pull over and the cop tells me to proceed that he seen the whole thing. I had to chuckle to myself as I pulled away and went to Tim Hortons for a Xl Double cream. If that cop would have pulled in I would of bought him a 12 pack of donuts.

I'll third that. On my bike I am an extremely defensive driver, successful so far by merely being here. Any ride might be my last and that is at the front of my thoughts every time I ride. Any time a car is within striking distance, I plot escape routes. I try not to ride in blind spots. I follow at greater distances and folow tire tracks in case the vehicle in front of me passes over debris.

I am of the opinion that my next accident will be my last. All that aside, I feel the stress relief by being away from my every day existense to make it worthwhile.

I could not ride a bike here in the Northeast. Been to many people giving them bad names... Not knocking everyone that rides bikes... Its those idiots riding up the lines on the highway between two trucks doing 90+... Sorry some of these guys are asking for it...

On the sled I have had a few close calls with people on the wrong side of the trail... On weekends I pay very close attention to what is coming the other way.

Tork said:
On a bike, you have to have countersteer down pat as that is the way you turn a bike fast.
I feel a bit safer on a bike actually.

A freind showed me that and I have been working at it. Sure seems wierd to push on the handle bar one way to make it go the opposite. It does work well though but you have to practice.

Back