• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Snowtech belt article/Hartman belt recommendations

I used one last year as I didn't have any more 8DN spares. I broke it in for about 20-25 miles (fairly easy riding). I put about 800 HARD miles on it and it looks new, not that it couldn't explode in the next 50 miles but it certainly looks better than used 8DN's I've had. My only concern was whether or not it would delaminate like the 8DN's which was better than grenade, so the "typical" failure mode is unknown. I did notice I didn't have the bark that I would sometimes get when exiting a corner with the stock 8DN. At nearly twice the price I'm not sure if they are worth it or not, but if I had aftermarket clutches I may use it just to keep the wear down. I think the 8DN's are hard on the surfaces.

Yeah I used sandpaper and a straight edge on my Attak and Rx1 clutches at about 10,000 miles just to get the dish shape out of the middle from the hard 8dn

A powder sled that is used the way it is supposed to be used will never create any belt longevity world records...No matter the clutching or the vents installed...

LJ 452 said:
My only concern was whether or not it would delaminate like the 8DN's which was better than grenade, so the "typical" failure mode is unknown.
Could not agree more. If I could choose, I would pick the "warning " you normally get through the small and then increasing vibration of a delaminating 8DN in front of a thypical and instant Ski-Doo belt ka-booom...Any day...

I have the ULTIMAX XS on both Apex's... frankly i found better performance with them... I found that the OEM yammies would have alot more belt dust. i have 4000 miles on the 40th belt from last year... it will be my spare with a new one installed. I have had very good success with them, but i have also noticed the Nytro;s seem to be harder on belts than the apex's. My 2C

Alatalo said:
A powder sled that is used the way it is supposed to be used will never create any belt longevity world records...No matter the clutching or the vents installed...

huh? If your clutching is way off then it will create a lot of heat. So like i said with correct clutching and a vent kit wouldn't you agree that it'll help keep heat down in turn increasing longevity of your belt???

just my .02

Alatalo said:
poleclimber said:
huh? If your clutching is way off then it will create a lot of heat. So like i said with correct clutching and a vent kit wouldn't you agree that it'll help keep heat down in turn increasing longevity of your belt???

just my .02
I did not say my clutching is way off. In fact, by altering the OEM clutching, the silly soft OEM belt squeeze, the mega high OEM gearing and the close to totally blocked off OEM air flow, I think I have done quite some improvements to the belt life compared to a box stock MTX.
Still, the belt life is nowhere near a trails sled. There is still quite some difference in energy input between doing ten minute long full throttle, full rpm pulls through wet, heavy and bottomless spring snow compared to cruising a trails sled down a hard packed trail.

rlcofmn said:
I'm going to try one this year. 3k miles I have never got 200 miles out of a belt so it can't be worse but I like the price of the 8 dn better so we'll see.

There must be something out of whack for you to be going through belts under 200 miles.

Sled Dog said:
rlcofmn said:
I'm going to try one this year. 3k miles I have never got 200 miles out of a belt so it can't be worse but I like the price of the 8 dn better so we'll see.

There must be something out of whack for you to be going through belts under 200 miles.

I think it's the way he rides.Did you ever see his pics of jumping cornices and flying 200ft throught the air,lol

pro116 said:
Sled Dog said:
rlcofmn said:

I think it's the way he rides.Did you ever see his pics of jumping cornices and flying 200ft throught the air,lol

Yes I'm good at wrecking stuff. Between the fact that I ride it as hard as I can and have less than stock ventilation I think has a big part to do with it.

But, I should not even made the comment about my belt life because I was not really looking to start a discussion. This year will be two new sleds with more power and new clutch set up's.

we have ran ultimaxe pro's (update from the ultimaxe 3) and notice the difference in belts only off trail on our vectors. on trail the 8dn yamaha belt is wayy better, and will hold the ski's off the ground for a good 300 feet before you start leveling out. the ultimax belts do leave some war wounds behind when they blow. i personally have a broken clutch shield mount, bent clutch shield, and torn and broken plastics from exploding ultimax belts. yamaha belts delamimate, and fall apart into alot of small pieces, leaving no damage behind. one nice thing bout an ultimaxe is the free 1 year replacement warrenty

I've used the ultimax xs and was blowing them up quicker than the stock yamie belts so I went back to the stock belt. Another thing to look for is if you have vent kits make sure your not getting snow dust on your belts, if you are it will not matter what type of belt you use it will get hot and blow up.

also noticed that ultimax did not last as long as a stock belt. bout 1800-2000km's on a ultimax, and about 3500km's on a stock belt. gotta keep in mind that yamaha made these sleds, and a belt to handle it, and made a belt half the price of a ultimax

Back