• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

SNOWTRACKERS...WOW! Thank you!

BryKlu

Pro
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2010 Vector LTX GT
Thank you all sooooo much for recommending aggressive snow trackers. I went out on the trail for the first time today here in Presque Isle, WI and had sooooo much darting that I was depressed with the old carbides my recently purchased sled came with and the limiter strap one hole away from max tight! I almost lost hope. Good thing I had aggressive snow trackers waiting to be put on. What a pain when the sled is 10 degrees because you don't have your propane heater hooked up yet. Adjusting the limiter strap to max loose was patience-testing to say the least. I loosened up the front springs as much as possible and turned them hand semi-tight measuring the distances between jam nuts with digital calipers to ensure uniformity on both sides. I made sure the skis were set at 0 toe-in then took it for a ride. OMG! It's night and day. I feel like I could cruise at 80 on crappy trails with one hand on the bars...not that I would. I am so excited to go out for a bit tonight. This is unreal.

But I say all that to say, thank you all so much for helping me out with my FIRST snowmobile! I wouldn't be where I am with my sled without this community. Happy trails and I wish you all a safe and enjoyable season! :)

Always puzzeled why more don't convert to STs...no doubt they are the best for single keel stock Yamaha skis for Apex models.

Always puzzeled why more don't convert to STs...no doubt they are the best for single keel stock Yamaha skis for Apex models.
It took me 2 years of a buddy telling me that this was the carbide to have. I just couldn't see how that skate blade with that metal channel could work and how it wouldn't kill me.
After spending a season of trying to get my 02 Viper stretched to 136 to turn in the trails I finally gave in to his insistence and tried a used set that he had. They were worn down to a semi aggressive height.
Now before this I had tried every trick posted on TY about getting bite on with the skis. Swapped in skis from an Apex, limiter straps sucked up , transfer rods in/out, spring preloads adjusted so much I had know idea where the factory starting point was anymore.
Well I bolted on these worn ST's and the sled finally would turn like it did when it was a 121 with Bergstrom TP, shim and ski saver setup I used to have. Set the sled back to factory transfer rod, limiter strap and spring preload settings. Was a dream to ride in the trails again.
The only thing that ST's don't address is the lack of flotation the factory skis have.

Snowtrackers were on my list for my new/used sled but the ATTAK i just bought has SLP's w/dual runners so ill give those a try. Will they bolt onto an SLP or were they designed for the Tuner Ski? also any input on the SLP's are welcome.

It took me 2 years of a buddy telling me that this was the carbide to have. I just couldn't see how that skate blade with that metal channel could work and how it wouldn't kill me.
After spending a season of trying to get my 02 Viper stretched to 136 to turn in the trails I finally gave in to his insistence and tried a used set that he had. They were worn down to a semi aggressive height.
Now before this I had tried every trick posted on TY about getting bite on with the skis. Swapped in skis from an Apex, limiter straps sucked up , transfer rods in/out, spring preloads adjusted so much I had know idea where the factory starting point was anymore.
Well I bolted on these worn ST's and the sled finally would turn like it did when it was a 121 with Bergstrom TP, shim and ski saver setup I used to have. Set the sled back to factory transfer rod, limiter strap and spring preload settings. Was a dream to ride in the trails again.
The only thing that ST's don't address is the lack of flotation the factory skis have.

I have the transfer rod setting from catman, front compression and rebound at full soft, rear spring at 3 clicks from full soft, and limiter max loose. A-arms are low as possible. I haven't noticed any bottoming out with a 13mm sway bar installed and I am 225lbs. I softened up the front because of the sway bar and being the trails are in bumpy early season conditions. Should the transfer rod go back to stock? Not going to lie, I haven't looked up what it does yet. I am new to snowmobiling as of last year.

I have my transfer rod settings near "min". This keeps my skis planted while powering thru the twisties.
With a 12mm sway bar combined with the rest of my setup my sled handles the way I like it. Coming thru and out of the apex of a corner with the inside ski hovering 4-6"off the trail is the best cornering experience for myself.

My skis aren't lifting much at all especially if I am shifting my weight in turns accordingly. Maybe I'm not riding fast enough? :) I will say my current limitations are my fear level not my sled's capabilities. The trails are rough now so that may be a factor but I have direct access to Ottawa National Forest roads from my house so I may be hittin them up today. The roads are much faster than the trails right now.

Trail surface is different than roads if road is packed becarful you don’t catch an edge. Unplowed FRs good for setting up your rear suspension not much else.

Thank you all sooooo much for recommending aggressive snow trackers. I went out on the trail for the first time today here in Presque Isle, WI and had sooooo much darting that I was depressed with the old carbides my recently purchased sled came with and the limiter strap one hole away from max tight! I almost lost hope. Good thing I had aggressive snow trackers waiting to be put on. What a pain when the sled is 10 degrees because you don't have your propane heater hooked up yet. Adjusting the limiter strap to max loose was patience-testing to say the least. I loosened up the front springs as much as possible and turned them hand semi-tight measuring the distances between jam nuts with digital calipers to ensure uniformity on both sides. I made sure the skis were set at 0 toe-in then took it for a ride. OMG! It's night and day. I feel like I could cruise at 80 on crappy trails with one hand on the bars...not that I would. I am so excited to go out for a bit tonight. This is unreal.

But I say all that to say, thank you all so much for helping me out with my FIRST snowmobile! I wouldn't be where I am with my sled without this community. Happy trails and I wish you all a safe and enjoyable season! :)

Did you install the snow trackers on the stock Yamaha tunners.

Trail surface is different than roads if road is packed becarful you don’t catch an edge. Unplowed FRs good for setting up your rear suspension not much else.

Sitting back on the sled with limiter strap and front shock compression at max loose was not bad. Rebound 3 clicks from full soft. Obviously slightly darty where packed and powder meet but 50-60mph was manageable. Ended up with 80 miles today from Presque Isle to Wakefield and back. Saw a Winter-coated wolf cross the road ahead then stare back. So beautiful.

Did you install the snow trackers on the stock Yamaha tunners.

Yes. I have so much more confidence in the sled now. Had a solid hill climb in the power cut and was ripping the rail beds with comfort. Loosen everything after installation like this forum recommends and then tighten for your weight and trail conditions. Helps to gas it over sketchy spots.

I see what you mean now. FS roads are still powder here with some sled tracks and not packed down. The packed to powder transitions are a bit squirrely.

You may find limiter tightened one hole even better. I did on My Apex's.

How so? For what conditions? How much do you weigh? I like how the skis now skip over trail imperfections. Seen a few sparks for sure. I think once you understand the physics behind the trackers it helps you to intrinsically alter your actions on the fly.

6000 miles and i still love snow trackers..great carbides

Back