• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Soft Seat

CaptCaper said:
SharkAttak said:
CaptCaper said:
Shark I'm an custom upholster of 35 years On the Cape. I'm in NH now but go down there all the time getting and doing automotive,boats,etc. and if you want to save money go to an upholster and buy firm foam of good quality and put it in your self. WalMart's don't have good foam. It'll flatten right out. Go limp. Take the old foam in to compare..There is lot's of frim,extra firm foam out there. Depends on what you have now and what you want.

Take the seat over off measure how thick and long the foam is. You can glue the foam into a block that can be cut down to shape with an electric knive..(turkey carver) Put a piece of Dacron from Walmart on it to hide any cut marks. Pull seat back to orignal place and staple back down.

Use the carver to take the old foam off if it's glued to the plastic. Run the knice along the seat were the foam meets it. If you try to pull it off it will rip if it's glued good. Sort of a scalping action..Use the old foam piece as a guide or save to put back in case you change your mind.

Use 3M Fabric and Foam Cement to glue foam together and dacron to foam.

Simple just some carving skills. I'm going to shape mine out to make it longer and wider at back. I'm tall and hit the plastic stop inside just befoe the storage flap..

Any questions just ask..

Thanks CaptCaper, where on the Cape was your shop? where in north N.H. do you live now?

Onset near the beach....for the last 25 years.. I did charter's out of Hyannis and Chatam commerical fishinng from Plymouth,Sandwich,Ptown, in the summers. When work was slow. My neighborhood went to heck so I moved to Mirror Lake Whitefield NH..on a trail. I'm trailmaster here and I still go back all the time to get work anywhere from Boston to Ptown. I use the VNose SnoPro to haul the stuff :)

Onset is real nice, Cape Cod is awesome in the summer, but alittle boring in the winter, i'm from Falmouth,Ma. but during the winters i go to Colebrook,NH, thanks again for the advise ;)!

seat

i think if your a larger person then you need to some foam adding, i cut
mine out about 7" deep added firm foam, it feels great but after 2 hour
ride it's too hard for me, i have a bad hip, also added 2" to get higher
for more comfort. i ordered a boss seat to see if this will work for me.

CaptCaper said:
Shark I'm an custom upholster of 35 years On the Cape. I'm in NH now but go down there all the time getting and doing automotive,boats,etc. and if you want to save money go to an upholster and buy firm foam of good quality and put it in your self. WalMart's don't have good foam. It'll flatten right out. Go limp. Take the old foam in to compare..There is lot's of frim,extra firm foam out there. Depends on what you have now and what you want.

Take the seat over off measure how thick and long the foam is. You can glue the foam into a block that can be cut down to shape with an electric knive..(turkey carver) Put a piece of Dacron from Walmart on it to hide any cut marks. Pull seat back to orignal place and staple back down.

Use the carver to take the old foam off if it's glued to the plastic. Run the knice along the seat were the foam meets it. If you try to pull it off it will rip if it's glued good. Sort of a scalping action..Use the old foam piece as a guide or save to put back in case you change your mind.

Use 3M Fabric and Foam Cement to glue foam together and dacron to foam.

Simple just some carving skills. I'm going to shape mine out to make it longer and wider at back. I'm tall and hit the plastic stop inside just befoe the storage flap..

Any questions just ask..

Thanks for the tips! My '07 Attak GT seat is actually softer than my buddy's '06 Attak. I was thinking about going with an RTX or '06 Nytro seat.

Yamadog1 - I did all of that on my '04 and still ended up shelling out $$$ for a new seat. That's why I won't do it again - unless I had 35 yrs. experience.

IMO the 07 Apex RTX's seat is absolutely perfect. It feels a little firm at first, but once there is a few 1000 miles on the sled it is excellent.

The regular Apex ER's seat is far too soft for me and with higher miles it rides like a board because the foam completely compresses and doesn't recover.

I don't think I have ever rode a Yami 4stroke with a soft enough seat. If you do a side by side with a rev, the rev seat is much more comfy. I think Yami should try about a 2" layer of memory foam under the cover.

CaptCaper-
You should try the memory foam and report back you might be able to sell a better seat . I suppose to be a good guy RedRX1 will have to get a kickback if the idea is good. LOL

RedRX1 said:
I don't think I have ever rode a Yami 4stroke with a soft enough seat. If you do a side by side with a rev, the rev seat is much more comfy. I think Yami should try about a 2" layer of memory foam under the cover.

Really? Don't you find with the regular Apex seat that you sink into it and it is very soft?

The issue I find with the regular Apex is, while the seat feels great at first, after a few 12 hour days of riding back to back, the seat stops "springing" back up and it is like riding on a board.

Swapping back to back with my buddies various REV-XP MXZs and a few different Apex, I could swear that the regular Apex has a softer seat (I was mostly checking out handling and suspension performance). For absolute certain, the REV-XP MXZ X-package has a rock hard seat compared to my "firm" seat on my 07 RTX. Also for absolute certain, the 06 Apex ER has a much softer seat than my 07 Apex RTX and also for absolute certain, after two 12 hour days of riding, that 06 Apex ER's seat is almost fully compressed and almost rock hard. Finally, for certain, all of the 06 Apex ER owners I ride with complain that the seat is too soft and doesn't spring back after a few days of riding.

How much do you weigh?

The guys I ride with and myself are all between 180 and 240 lbs.

I had an 04 REV MZX Adrenaline 600 SDI HO. A buddie of mine still has one. When we trade sleds, there is definatly a difference, I think it has a softer memory type foam over the stiffer stuff.

RedRX1 said:
I had an 04 REV MZX Adrenaline 600 SDI HO. A buddie of mine still has one. When we trade sleds, there is definatly a difference, I think it has a softer memory type foam over the stiffer stuff.

If you're saying the seat on the Apex ER is less comfortable over high miles than the 04 REV MXZ - I totally agree with you. The problem isn't that the Apex seat is too hard though.

What happens is the seat sinks down and looses its "spring", leaving you sitting on bottomed out foam. Add to the fact that the Apex tends to bottom out hard and you end up with a sore butt on high mileage rides.

The 07 RTX has a much firmer seat, but I've never found it uncomfortable on long rides. It is a huge improvement over the regular Apex and in my experience it is closer to the seat on the REV MXZ as far as firmness is concerned.

Rex...Today I was riding with that REV MXZ, If you push your fingers into the seat, the first inch or so feels nice and cushy like memory foam or gel, then further into it it gets firmer. My Apex seat is not as comfortable with the initial sit in.

You may be onto the real problem though with the Apex foam bottoming out.

I still think an inch or two of memory foam would make a huge difference on the long rides. But a better foam base is also necessary

Back