• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Soft start primary spring for MTX.

McLovin

Extreme
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
1997 Mountain Max 700 144 1.5
Hey! I would like to fix the brutally high RPM engagement on my '16 MTX 141se. It wants to spin track when taking off and is hard to load on trailer.
Got some good advice in the Viper forum, but don't think it applies since the original primary spring I pulled out of my MTX turned out to be a green green green, and not the blue silver blue that guys were referring to on the other Vipers. Has anybody replaced their green green green primary spring with something that engages at a lower RPM but has a similar finish?
On this chart I assume I am looking for a spring that has a preload of 30. Then what am I trying to match for the finish? The Total Force? Or the spring rate? What would be the best replacement for green green green with lowest engagement?
https://totallyamaha.com/snowmobiles/aaTECH/drivespecs/primary_springs.htm

Thanks a lot for any assistance.

I went with the dalton red spring, it really helped. Dropped me from 3800 rpm to right around 3000.

I think so. I am going to try the dalton orange spring next. See if i can get it even lower without a shim.

I think so. I am going to try the dalton orange spring next. See if i can get it even lower without a shim.

Yes, even lower would be good. So it topped out at about the same RPM with the red?

Yes no change in rpm with the dalton red. And a much softer engagement even when it is only 800 less. Very little spinning in the soft stuff.

Looking at the chart, the Pink-Pink-Pink would be the closest match to your stock one, and drop a good 600-800rpm off the engagement. They other issue with these sleds, is the ECU fueling map has a lean spot right at engagement which really makes the throttle touchy. The newest ECU update really smoothed that out on my XTX, I can actually "creep" around quite easy now.

Looking at the chart, the Pink-Pink-Pink would be the closest match to your stock one, and drop a good 600-800rpm off the engagement. They other issue with these sleds, is the ECU fueling map has a lean spot right at engagement which really makes the throttle touchy. The newest ECU update really smoothed that out on my XTX, I can actually "creep" around quite easy now.

Thanks a lot man! Yeah I kinda figured, and have ordered the pink pink pink. Will give it a go next Friday. May try a Dalton if still not happy. Let us know what you think about the orange, Clyder6R.

will do, the snow has taken flight here on the east. So i will have to travel to get any good data for you guys. But i will let you all know.

I meant to reply to this thread earlier! Installed the pink pink pink spring last spring. I LOVE IT! A total game changer. Totally smooth engagement now, and crawls through the bush portages sooooooo nicely! Just excellent. Paired with the 2019 flash it is beautifully smooth at very slow speeds.
Thanks guys!

Did you have to add shims since the length of the P-P-P is 83.4 vs the G-G-G is 87.9?

what Rpm does it engage at?

Last edited:
Did you have to add shims since the length of the P-P-P is 83.4 vs the G-G-G is 87.9?

what Rpm does it engage at?
Nope, worked great. Can tell you the RPM once we get some snow here!

Back