• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Something in my muffler

SeX Viper

Extreme
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2002 SX Viper
2014 SR Viper RTX
So I was changing the oil in my Viper today and when I took the muffler off I noticed something is rattling around. I cannot see it but it will go from one end to the other and it sounds rather large. I did the oil change last year and am positive it was not in there. Do you think it is just something that broke loose from inside the muffler or did it come out of the engine? I have had no issues with the motor this year. It is under warranty but I am wondering if I have to take the entire sled in or can I just bring the muffler in and have them investigate?

Sounds rather "baffeling " Excuse the pun My guess a baffle or internal muffler piece broke loose .....can you shine a flashlight up the exhuast port and see it moving around ? ......should be covered !

The 14's suffered from bad mufflers with the baffles rotting out. in the end the gases will come through the bottom and start melting things. Happened on two of my buddies machines. Both 14's.
Good thing you caught it.
MS

My 14 blew a hole through the side of the muffler.
It was covered under warranty. Now the warranty muffler blew a hole in the side.
Right now, I am thinking i should have rode it till it caught fire. This is getting old.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    56.1 KB · Views: 252
Identical damage when it blew apart for the second time.

I dropped the muffler off at the dealer Saturday and will let you know how it goes.

I dropped the muffler off at the dealer Saturday and will let you know how it goes.

Thats what i did the first time. The dealer was not happy about not getting the whole sled but they covered it.
I think this time im going to have to drop off the whole sled. Such a pain in the azz.

So do all you guys blowing mufflers now have the latest flash? Reason I ask is when mine backfired I can't believe my can held up. It was that loud and violent.

So your saying you had 2 mufflers blow also?
Did warranty cover both of them?

My yes warranty covered both,my sled started blowing mufflers when I had updates done. If you search my previous posts, you’ll find my comments about this situation.

Mine has the current flash as it was a factory demo that I bought as a new sled from the dealer last spring and I was told all updates were done. I put 1500 miles on it this year and only recall it backfiring 1 time but I suppose that is all it takes. Mine does not have any visible damage like RTX and cobrajet's did.

So do all you guys blowing mufflers now have the latest flash? Reason I ask is when mine backfired I can't believe my can held up. It was that loud and violent.

My sled is a 14. The first time my muffler blew out it was with the first reflash yamaha did. They replaced the muffler mid /end of 2015. If i remember correctly
I then did the evo reflash and probably put 2500-3000 miles on the new muffler.
I have had so many different problems with this sled that i pay very close attention to it. Especially when starting it.
At the beginning of this season/january (over 1000 miles ago) it backfired 2 different times when cold starting. -10 degrees and lower is when it tends to happen. They were mild backfires. Enough to hear, but nothing that was loud or would startle you. The sled has been fine since then, no more backfires and no noticible increase in noise from the exhaust.
Last weekend was our last ride of the season. About 75 miles into it, while driving i noticed it was getting louder.
There were no pops or bangs, just a sudden noticeable increase in exhaust noise. I knew my muffler blew but continued to drive it the remaining 30 miles to get it home.
Upon removing the muffler i found the outer heatshield blown open as is shown in the picture above.
I contacted yamaha and they said i am covered by YES for another year. If the dealer determines the muffler is defective they will cover the second muffler. so i will just hang on to the sled for now and do all my season end repairs. Once those are done i will bring it to the dealer to have the muffler fixed under warranty. (I hope)

The dealer called today, they said they called Yamaha and they told them to give me a new muffler. Doesn't really clear anything up as to why but on the bright side my first warranty claim pretty much paid for the 4 year YES plan which I was really hesitant to buy, not that I couldn't have bought a used muffler for probably $100 but it still makes me feel better about it.

My sled has been in the shop over a 1 1/2 months for the muffler blow (see the post BACKFIRE). I am being told that they will replace the ecu along with the muffler. Unfortunately at this time I will have no ability to test if a new ecu with the latest flash will help.

fyi, when mine backfired, the concussion was dramatic. Visually I could see the rivets were stressed and the seams on the muffler pulled apart. The dealer did not retain any photos of the muffler they shared with Yamaha so I have to rely on their claim that the backside of the muffler did not have any holes...

Back