• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Spark Plug Change

Bigblue1

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
Country
USA
Snowmobile
Sidewinder RTX-LE
Apex SE
Anyone have tips on changing these. It is a bear getting the plug caps off and I do not want to break one. They were tough on the RX-1 but at least they are in the open to get safe leverage. Any suggestions?

twist them back and forth in the hole and lift alittle while doing the twist. they will come out, be pacient. dont pry on them they are a coil/plug assy and they are not cheap. ski

Thanks for the tip. I like to be more on the cautious side with my stuff.

The coils are a bugger to get out. You'll need to twist and lift with persistence as noted above.

Tip: If you don't have a socket that holds the sparkplug in place you can use a short piece of PVC or rubber tubing with a 1/4" ID to recover the old plug and introduce the new plug. Before you completely remove the old plug push the section of tube over the end of the plug. You can get enough torque on the tube to back the plug out of the last few threads. Push the new plug into the tube to introduce it and get it started in the threads. As you found out the holes where the plugs go are deep and small and it's tough to get a grip on the plug otherwise. Also, reinstall the coils back to front after the new plugs are installed.

This should save you from turning the sled over and shaking it to get the plugs out.

Fortunately I have a socket that does a good job getting the plugs out. Its the d*^$# coils that messed up a a solid pre 1st ride tune up session. I was hoping there was some kind of tool that would make it easier.

Back