• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

spring weight rating?

ps4020

Extreme
does anyone know what the factory spring weight rating is on the electric control ohlins rear shock for a 06 apex gt, trying to decide if I need to go to the big boy spring, with all my gear on I weight 225 lbs can I get away with the stock spring or do I need the big boy one?

That's what I weigh, I had to change mine and get it revalved. I tried the big boy spring and a Pioneer revalve last year. It was ALOT better ride than stock. But I still bottomed on the "gravity dips". I went with Hygear Trail Pro Package this year. Haven't rode it yet. I talked to a guy in NY last winter that had the Hygear setup and he said it got rid of the bottoming almost totally. Unless you hit something really big that you didn't see coming.
He said it was worth the money, I got my fingers crossed, I have two bad disks in my back and it REALLY hurts when I bottom out!

I'm 200lbs and I changed mine from stock4.9 to the next one up which I was told is the 5.5. With a revavle from pioneer. It did still bottom a bit, but then ya keep increasing the preload by one turn each try. I only needed two turns of preload more, and its all good! Keep tweekin and it will be perfect in no time at all

apex gt 2007

Hi, I just bought a apex gt. The guy that had it befor me put a bigger spring on the rear shock. He said I should take it of because it was to stiff. I way around 200lbs. I wonder if it was to stiff just because the way he had it installed? What I mean is there is nuts on the shock that allow you to make it stiffer or not. How much threads should you leave out beyond your nut settings 1" or 3" ?

Thanks J-mac

The owners manual is the best place for the information on how to set the rear suspension, j-mac. There is a certain ammount of "set-in" that is measured by lifting the back of the sled, setting it down, measuring the length of the spring. Then sit on the sled, and measure the spring again. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong here, but I think you're looking for about 45mm difference after sitting on it.
Depending on my diet, I'm between 225 and 240 with gear, and I have the 6.5 for this season. Dont have any ride reports, but the 6.5 is what Bruce @ Pioneer told me to in stall for my weight.

gt rear spring

Thanks I will have to call the guy I bought it from and see if he has the owners manual and if he would send it to me.
J-mac

Back