• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Sprocket change

Todd Beenen

Expert
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2020 T-Cat
What’s a good snap ring tool for removing sprockets

Last edited:

Any of the high end tool brands will have what you need but if your not looking to spend big $ on a set then look for some with hardened tips.They will last longer and shouldn't bend when you use them.

Well I'm not sure which would be best,my set has three styles and I don't remember what ones I used last time.Tip size is also something you should look at.If you go with a set of snap ring pliers then get a set with a decent range of tip sizes in at least 2 styles.Most common sets will have straight and 90° but I find the 45° ones will work in a wider range of situations.

For type of rings used in our sleds I prefer the square nose pliers.
1660997473535.png

I was recently needing a set myself, and I found a good set that has worked well at Lowe's, a Craftsman set...
Screenshot_20220820-084557-897.png

most of the matco tools, mac tools, gray tools and unitool snap ring pliers i have used/own are basicly the same other than the labeling.

1661203656679.png

the one thing i have found using this style is that i hate the new quick change style as they seem to come apart more than the older ones that used a screw to swap with a stiff snap ring.

i do reccomend ones with a warenty as i have used some knock off ones that look identical to mine that some one handed me and they twisted in my hand tying to pull a snap ring that mine pulled easily.

i do know i hate the ones with changeable tips with a passion as when using the 90 or 45 degree tips they never stay tight and i tighten them almost to the point of stripping the fastener head.

Back