• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

SR Viper, clutching, belts, gearing information

Is the Xf 7000 running a team secondary roller and would they outrun you on top end

I think since the introduction of the procross chassis, people have been blaming belt issues on the chassis/engine placement. The viper is the exact example that proves that myth totally wrong. One of the very first things that was tested when my viper hit the snow the fall along with an xf7000 was clutch temps..two completely identical sleds with exception of clutching and the cat belt and secondary was 20 degrees hotter than the viper doing the same exact back to back runs at the same exact time. After 2 minutes of sitting the viper belt and clutches had cooled down a lot..the 7000 only cooled a few degrees. Cats belt and clutches issues are just that, belt and clutch! The chassis has nothing to do with it and that was the reason this test was performed because the info we took was recorded in a video and and brought to cats attention. If simple machining is all that is required to gain 5-10 mph with this sled then count me in. Never had any clutch issues with my yammis in the past so why replace what is already proven to work?..just make it work better.

Studroes144 said:
I think since the introduction of the procross chassis, people have been blaming belt issues on the chassis/engine placement. The viper is the exact example that proves that myth totally wrong. One of the very first things that was tested when my viper hit the snow the fall along with an xf7000 was clutch temps..two completely identical sleds with exception of clutching and the cat belt and secondary was 20 degrees hotter than the viper doing the same exact back to back runs at the same exact time. After 2 minutes of sitting the viper belt and clutches had cooled down a lot..the 7000 only cooled a few degrees. Cats belt and clutches issues are just that, belt and clutch! The chassis has nothing to do with it and that was the reason this test was performed because the info we took was recorded in a video and and brought to cats attention. If simple machining is all that is required to gain 5-10 mph with this sled then count me in. Never had any clutch issues with my yammis in the past so why replace what is already proven to work?..just make it work better.

Agreed. And the Cat fix for the Cat clutches in 2014 was to make the secondary sheave angle closer to what the Yamaha sheave angle is. You will see it said that the new cat clutch change is cooling fins, but if you carefully measure you will see the angle change. Ironic huh? Cat fix was to make there secondary more like Yamahas...........

TD - I used to have a team roller secondary, had it on my SXR700 and it went with it. It wouldn't have fit anyway, but was a neat item. Bad part is the spline size is the same as the Nytro, be hard to find one I think. Would be nice to find one with a gazillion helix's

I think the "Tied" setup where the moveable sheave doesn't rotate makes good sense. There was a test by Sno West years back that showed lots of gain. You apparently end up running around 14° more helix with the setup to slow it down a bit. I also like the 2 for 1 helix concept.

Same here TD, the sheaves move sideways, not rotating which is the way it should be. Adjustability was incredible.

TD Max said:
What I have read (on the internet so it has to be true right?) is that most of the Cat belt blowing is due to clutch AND moreso engine alignment issues.

I know enough to be dangerous, and this Team roller seems intriguing particularly the tied setup, but I have no personal experience with them.

i'd agree.

Alot of good useful information in this post from the end of last season. Don't forget to call Ulmer Racing for your clutching! 605-387-2833 Srxspec@Gwtc.net

Also, belt deflection is a very important item to check anytime you change a belt. We include a sheet that explains how to do it with every clutch we machine.

Hello Allen
I too am in the midst of ordering a clutch kit from you! I am wondering if your "SR Viper Stage #1" clutch kit package from your website is what I require to get close to your #3 from post above? I am switching over to the 8DN belt and have ordered the OSP belt adjuster.

Complete clutch kits in stock and turning around most clutches in 1 to 2 days. Also have secondary springs that will shift all the way out and also I can machine your stock helix or provide an aftermarket helix if you want to maintain your stock clutching.

When you say machine the stock Helix, do you rebate the spring seat?

Hello Allen
I too am in the midst of ordering a clutch kit from you! I am wondering if your "SR Viper Stage #1" clutch kit package from your website is what I require to get close to your #3 from post above? I am switching over to the 8DN belt and have ordered the OSP belt adjuster.

Yes, our Stage 1 kit with the OSP adjuster setup right will get you working great with the 8DN belt.

When you say machine the stock Helix, do you rebate the spring seat?

Machining the stock helix for more shift out. Not recutting the spring seat, I would recommend a different secondary spring instead.

Perfect Thanks for the info.
I will call and place my order!

Yes, our Stage 1 kit with the OSP adjuster setup right will get you working great with the 8DN belt.

Machining the stock helix for more shift out. Not recutting the spring seat, I would recommend a different secondary spring instead.
is there any way to run the 8dn without machining my clutch?

Back