• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

SR Viper ride quality improvements for 2015?

snowrunner

Country
USA
Snowmobile
14 ZR 7000 S P
15 SR VIPER LTX
14 Renegade X 800
Sled has new QS3's on the skis and on the rear skid. Setting up a 137 Viper for my buddy.

Trying to setup for 200lb rider, aggressive trail - sit down rider. QS3 set to 1, torsion on 1, blocks on 3

Compared to stock Renegade 800X r-motion, rides like a brick (rode back to back on same trail). The Procross doesn't seem to use the suspension travel on stutter or mid size bumps (does great on bigger bumps). The r-motion seems to use the full travel better (set is softer too), and can add preload if it gets rough.

Anyone try the newer (lighter torsion springs from the newer machines)? Seems the 2015 had the same springs as a ZR Sno Pro. 2017 Cats went to the lighter spring, can't figure out spring rates on the new P/N's for Cat or Yamaha - not listing them anymore

I have the same exact complaint about my 2015 RTX-DX 129" with '15 stock springs and shocks. I weigh about the same and ride the exact same way. Started asking about this in another thread, we will figure this out. My tail bone getting sore before the end of the ride is getting old.

The Pro Cross chassis does require the rider to be active while riding. The front, rear, and center shocks as well as the pre-load need to be loaded and unloaded. The loading location of the suspension will determine how well your sled handles. The ride quality or sometimes referred to as comfort, is dependent on the set-up. The pro-cross chassis will not give you both ruff trail comfort and perfect handling without some compromise. It is possible to achieve a great middle ground with softer settings for comfort and stiffer springs for ride height. If a rider can't lift his butt off the seat and relocate his feet on the running boards the chassis will not respond the way it was designed. Rider input is critical to the handling of the sled regardless of the manufacture. The speed of the sled, rider location, suspension loading, and trail conditions are just a few items that contribute to the overall capability of the sled. Carbides, studs and more will have a significant impact on handling.
"Riding like a brick", if I sit on the seat and don't move around, stand when needed or pull the handle bars while carrying speed into a corner I will get the brick feeling. I find that my set up on my sled needs to be driven as hard as possible. The harder I ride my set up the better it responds. That is how I have my sled set up. My brother is set up for the smooth ride at lower speeds. You probably need to decide what your looking for and set up for that. Good luck and always enjoy the ride.

My wifes 2015 ltx dx rode like a lumber wagon so i swapped out rear springs from my buddies 2018 sidewinder ltx as he was going with heavier ones and now her sled rides amazing now , before the springs were overiding the rear shock ,heavy to push down and would pop right back up after a shock rebuild too! She doesnt want to get rid of it now and also have stingray spring in the front so its set up is near perfect finally. We tested the sidewinder rear springs on the bench and they were alot softer sprung.

I never had a ride on a lumber wagon. Sounds ruff.

My wifes 2015 ltx dx rode like a lumber wagon so i swapped out rear springs from my buddies 2018 sidewinder ltx as he was going with heavier ones and now her sled rides amazing now , before the springs were overiding the rear shock ,heavy to push down and would pop right back up after a shock rebuild too! She doesnt want to get rid of it now and also have stingray spring in the front so its set up is near perfect finally. We tested the sidewinder rear springs on the bench and they were alot softer sprung.

Hi
I am curious. I have a 15 LTX DX with Bill Mohr' centre shock spring. I keep looking to get a little plissher ride for the 69 year old 190# body. 12,500 miles on sled and shocks done on a regular basis. You & your wife sound like you have had a good experience with slightly softer torsion springs. I am thinking of this or a rear shock upgrade to an Elka or QS3. Thoughts and or ideas appreciated.

Thx

I am thinking of this or a rear shock upgrade to an Elka or QS3. Thoughts and or ideas appreciated.
Both....correct torsion springs for rider weight is a must. Your stock springs are very heavy duty (250 lb.+ rider). For me with both my sleds (18 LTX Winder, 16 RTX Viper) came stock with 18# torsion springs. I'm 210 lbs. in street clothes, changed just one side to a 20# spring for a total 19# combined. You would be really good with 2 18# springs. With your shocks I would highly recommend a quality shock with REBOUND adjustment for both shocks in your rear suspension. My winder came with QS3r's, so it was really good except the center shock did not have rebound, replaced it with an Elka stage 4 with rebound. My Viper came with standard QS3's (no rebound) replaced all 4 with Elka stage 4 with rebound. I have both a right and left 18# torsion springs I'll send you, but shipping would be a killer. Do yourself a favor and call John at Accelerated Technologies, he is by far the best suspension guy out there. He is in Ontario Canada.

Both....correct torsion springs for rider weight is a must. Your stock springs are very heavy duty (250 lb.+ rider). For me with both my sleds (18 LTX Winder, 16 RTX Viper) came stock with 18# torsion springs. I'm 210 lbs. in street clothes, changed just one side to a 20# spring for a total 19# combined. You would be really good with 2 18# springs. With your shocks I would highly recommend a quality shock with REBOUND adjustment for both shocks in your rear suspension. My winder came with QS3r's, so it was really good except the center shock did not have rebound, replaced it with an Elka stage 4 with rebound. My Viper came with standard QS3's (no rebound) replaced all 4 with Elka stage 4 with rebound. I have both a right and left 18# torsion springs I'll send you, but shipping would be a killer. Do yourself a favor and call John at Accelerated Technologies, he is by far the best suspension guy out there. He is in Ontario Canada.
Thank you for your suggestions. I'm in Manitoba, just east of Wpg. A friend just dropped by and checked the sag, a whopping 2". Had the shock serviced in January. I have been in touch with John and my local shock expert and has helped out in the past. Im sure the springs will be less to ship than buying brand new ones.

Let me know the weight of the springs and your postal code and I will check the shipping costs. Would like to take you up on your offer. Thank you

44050... they are 18 lbs. springs.

Back