• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

SRX dual rate front springs

Sledroll

TY 4 Stroke Master
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2022 SRX LE
2017 SW LTX LE
It seems odd that my 22 SRX has dual rate springs , but the softer upper part is pretty well all compressed , and all the pictures I can find is the same way .

From riding my 21 SRX , the rear torsion springs will need to be heavier if you are over 220 . The center & front shocks work excellent no need to change them . I would trade them for my 22 LE springs , lol

Has anyone tried the springs on a 2017,18 LE?
I installed the stock dual rate springs from a 2019 SRX on the ski shocks on our 2018 SW LE a few seasons ago. For anyone who has a '17 or '18 SW LE I wouldn't hesitate to give them a try if you're looking for a better handling sled.

They work awesome with the Kashima coated Fox QS-3R shocks that came with the sled. The springs have slightly more sit it or sag than the stock springs that make the sled slightly lower for better handling but still offer the same bump compliance that the stock springs have without bottoming out on a whooped out trail.

This sled also has an aftermarket widening kit and with the dual rate springs actually handles better than my '21 SRX, although I give the nod to the '21 with the electronically adjustable on the fly shocks when the trails get really beat up.

SX-R3.jpg

It seems odd that my 22 SRX has dual rate springs , but the softer upper part is pretty well all compressed , and all the pictures I can find is the same way .

Thats normal. All springs are a compromise between length (overall distance end to end), and pitch (the distance coil to col). Which at the end of the day is about compromising between ride quality and control (control meaning that the springs have to be stiff enough to keep the carbides in contact with the snow/ice). Tighter coils are easier to compress than looser coils (wider pitch). For the SRX, a machine aimed at lake racing and groomed trails, you prioritize control over ride quality. This means you really want to have a spring rate that is stiff (large coil pitch). But, what is good for lake racing is going to compromise ride quality on the trail. To soften the ride for groomed trails you put in dual rate springs which are biased towards being stiff and linear most of the time but have that soft section for when you are riding across the small bumps. If those tight coils were not so tight (had a wider gap) you would give up some control for some ride quality. For off trail riding you probably want even more compromise where the dual rate spring has larger pitch in the tighter coils as you are less concerned with absolute control and need a more progressive resistance to impact. (spend more time jumping and in big bumps).

Last edited:
I installed the stock dual rate springs from a 2019 SRX on the ski shocks on our 2018 SW LE a few seasons ago. For anyone who has a '17 or '18 SW LE I wouldn't hesitate to give them a try if you're looking for a better handling sled.

They work awesome with the Kashima coated Fox QS-3R shocks that came with the sled. The springs have slightly more sit it or sag than the stock springs that make the sled slightly lower for better handling but still offer the same bump compliance that the stock springs have without bottoming out on a whooped out trail.

This sled also has an aftermarket widening kit and with the dual rate springs actually handles better than my '21 SRX, although I give the nod to the '21 with the electronically adjustable on the fly shocks when the trails get really beat up.

View attachment 165312
Sharp sled. Thanks for response. Might have to get a set and try.

This sled also has an aftermarket widening kit and with the dual rate springs actually handles better than my '21 SRX, although I give the nod to the '21 with the electronically adjustable on the fly shocks when the trails get really beat up.View attachment 165312
I don't think it makes any difference, but on my sled the tighter coils are at the top. Looks like most factory pics are with the tight coils at the top as well.

Yes, tighter coils on top on my 19 SRX and they were at the bottom on my brothers 19 SRX. He flipped them as they were packing up with snow and ice.

I don't think it makes any difference, but on my sled the tighter coils are at the top. Looks like most factory pics are with the tight coils at the top as well.
Top or bottom doesn't matter.

I run the hygear twisted springs dual rate kit with the pro crossover adjuster on the qs3 shocks.
This system will blow earthling's theory out of the water.

I run the hygear twisted springs dual rate kit with the pro crossover adjuster on the qs3 shocks.
what theory, its not theory, its physics.

From what I can tell your Hygear twisted springs don't look like the stock ones , that have the softer part compressed ?
Do you have a picture of yours ?

Do you have a Sidewinder? Which model?
Does it have dual rate springs on it?
No I do not, but here is the thing about shocks, they have no idea what they are bolted to and the physics that govern their function don't care either. For a given shock, it does not matter what machine it is on, all that matters is the geometry of the suspension (how it was designed to work given the vehicle and the intended use of the vehicle) and the parameters of the shock that allow it to work optimally. A shock only has one job and that is to compromise between the reactivity of the unsprung mass in your suspension and the sprung mass. Its all a compromise. There is no such thing as a shock package that can do everything, its all picking the right compromise and if you are happy, more power to you. I have no idea what part of what I said offends you, but feel free to blast away, I am happy to admit when I am wrong, if I am.

Back