• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

St-Zenon/ Manawan/ Casey 15 -16 janv.2011 photo ride report

towing

Expert
I'm a little late but here the report from our last week-end ride:

Krikri and I made a 2 days ride St-Zénon/Manawan/Casey with my friends Coyote and Snowcruiser

Here the track of our trip...

casey5.jpg

At start saturday morning in the enclosed parking at la Glaciere under cloudy sky

DSC01754.jpg

They got maybe around 3 inches of new stuff since last weeks. Not much but groomers does mirales with it... The lean spots were the same as last week, so the first miles up to Real Massé junction were thin and good after until the 2 miles of new trail just before Cabanon that tend to brownish and a couple spots just after. Otherwise good condition

DSC08820.jpg

Just had to be really careful and slow down for some icy curves up to the Taureau dam, the rest was nice

DSC08823.jpg

I think we can call it a snow-rocker !!!

DSC01756.jpg

On the north side of the dam, the #360 was freshly groomed. There was still a couple icy curves on the first miles but just a little farther it was perfect... the more we goes and the better we got.

DSC08827.jpg

The #345 to Repos was also freshly groomed up to M20 junction where we took a little break

DSC08835.jpg

The gray jays were pretty happy with the lunch from my friend Coyote

IMGP5762.jpg

After,the strech up to Casey's trail had a good ripple but the other half up to Repos was better. The Repos was very popular, many people...

DSC08839.jpg

We continued an other 20 miles up to Manawan for the lunch. The trail was not recently groomed but surprisingly nice, pretty flat. The less good part was they plowed the road for around 6 miles before the village, but it start snowing as we arrived there making a lube film for the slides.

DSC08844.jpg

They cut down the branchs near the road and the trail will probably be there when they got more snow

DSC08845.jpg

And we stopped for the lunch at 14:00 at La Réserve...

DSC08842.jpg

After fueling up sleds and us, we made the same trail back to the Casey's trail

DSC08846.jpg

As the sign state in french, we had been told that Chateauvert relay was closed and did not sell gaz, it was why we had continue to Repos (finally Manawan) in place of going directly up north. In fact, they are open and serve meal and gaz...

The sun was already down and too late for more pics but we reached our destination at around 18:20, relais de la petite Gare at Casey. A very nice simple little place like I love to discover. We talked alot in the evening with the owners and the other sledders there before a good sleep to be in shape for the next day....

IMGP5768.jpg

Sunday morning, sunny sky -21C...a good day starting...

The petite gare relay

IMGP5783.jpg

The trail was wide and freshly grommed, very nice and fast

DSC08861.jpg

We decided to go exploring the Kanawata trail

DSC01759.jpg

Trail 10/10 in a beautiful area

DSC08879.jpg

DSC08877.jpg

And the Kanawata

DSC01761.jpg

IMGP5791.jpg

What a nice dozer they have... a bulldozer !!!!

IMGP5801.jpg

we came back on our track and continued south.

DSC08885.jpg

here the "Manouanne B" dam

IMGP5823.jpg

IMGP5826.jpg

IMGP5828.jpg

And we continued

DSC08891.jpg

Nowing they had gaz, we stopped to fuel up at Châteauvert to be able to go directly back to St-Zenon.. They said us they are open for fuel, meal but not for sleep

DSC08893.jpg

It was around 11:00 and we were not hungry after the huge breakfast we got in Casey but we nibbled something because we knew that we won't be back at St-Zenon until the middle of the afternoon.

DSC01787.jpg

back on the track...

DSC08894.jpg

We had to slow down a couple places where we saw some traces from the last thaw and the trail sink down a little but it will probably past thing after the next groom pass

DSC08897.jpg

Here the trail is on a huge summer forest road

DSC08898.jpg

An other nice scenic spot

DSC01790.jpg

very fast stretch...

DSC08900.jpg

Some woods

DSC08908.jpg

And we open the throttle again...

DSC08914.jpg

DSC08919.jpg

We next came back on the #345 south that was pretty beatup up to the M20 junction where we reach St-Zenon grooming territory

DSC08921.jpg

DSC08924.jpg

Faithful to their reputation, the rest of our trip was on freshly groomed trail. Here up ro the taureau dam

DSC08932.jpg

South from the dam, flat trail

DSC08947.jpg

But like saturday, some curves tend to be very icy

DSC08941.jpg

We crossed the groomer that was starting his route

DSC08949.jpg

We stopped at Cabanon to take our dinner/supper at 16:00 for after coming back to Glacière on just groomed trails. Total: 411 miles

to conclude, a very nice ride for us!!!. Conditions are not perfect but slowly shape up as they receive more snow, inch by inch, and groomers really make wonder with what they have. There was an other inch on the truck when we came back at the truck

DSC08956-1.jpg

The territory north from the taureau dam is in winter condition. I have been told that the #33 down from Repos was also very nice. I keep my fingers crossed to have the promising snow on the forecast for the next days...

A special thanks to my riding partners, Coyote and Snowcruiser for this fantastic week-end !!!

Alain

Back