• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Stabalizer bar adjustments

Phazerron

Veteran
Who has tried adjusting the stabalizer bar on a Phazer. Goal is to reduce the tippyness on the groomed trail corners. I noticed a past article posted on phazer suspension early in November but couldn't decide what I should try.

I've played with the rear settings to put more weight on the ski's and that helped a lot. It may kill some top end speed in the process.

Any other ideas?

Thanks, Phazerron

There is on the GT models, I remember seeing a post about last year or something. I have a FX model so no adjustments on mine, in fact I took mine off all together. I can't tell you for sure, but I think it had to do with spinning the mounts around where the sway bar hooks to the frame on GT and maybe Base models only.

Motoman765 said:
There is on the GT models, I remember seeing a post about last year or something. I have a FX model so no adjustments on mine, in fact I took mine off all together. I can't tell you for sure, but I think it had to do with spinning the mounts around where the sway bar hooks to the frame on GT and maybe Base models only.

Ive also thought about trying mine w/ bar removed....hows it workin? Let me rephrase that, how DID it work? (I see youre in Michigan and we def have NO SNOW...wish it snowed in the 50's!)

Motoman765 said:

You are correct!

QUADSCRIB said:
Motoman765 said:

Ive also thought about trying mine w/ bar removed....hows it workin? Let me rephrase that, how DID it work? (I see youre in Michigan and we def have NO SNOW...wish it snowed in the 50's!)

You can't do it well without some suspension work on the front. I have heavier spring on the front to compensate for the lack of help from the other shock when cornering and even with those springs my compression is only 5 clicks from as hard as it goes. There are a few other things you have to do to make it work well, but unless you know you want to do it and have money to put into your suspension, I wouldn't suggest it. You do loose some body roll stability in the flat corners no matter what, but in my opinion with the riding that I do, where I want the suspension to work right is off trail and in the rough ditches and jumps. That's where it makes the difference and makes the sled handle more like a bike and not rock back and forth to pitch you off the side as each ski is now independent from the other. If you ride mostly marked trail I don't think it will work for you and especially with stock suspension.

my mtx is adjustable and I run it at the softest setting. I tried with it removed and was too tippy for me. This is good for boondocking with how the rest of my suspension is set up.

I went the other way and tried a thicker/stiffer swaybar off a Nytro.It did help at slow speeds on smooth trails like in backyard.At higher speeds it was overcome by center of gravity which was easily seen since I watched while going around corner and outside ski stopped compressing well before the sled tipped and inside ski lifted high.Possibly a combination of very light springs and thicker swaybar would work to get the front down in the corners but then you get the feeling of too much transfer and it affects steering.I like Hygears idea for the front.Just wish the back could be done the same.For now I just live with it and ride it like a dirtbike.Its alot of fun actually and only seems slower around corners till you ride with others and find its just as fast just different.If anyone wants to try the heavier swaybar and bushings just pay shipping and write a report.It just bolts on same as stock one.

Phazerron Have you put the inside spindle bushings to the outside yet?To me that made biggest difference.Will be trying Pilots this year hoping the outside carbide has same effect of reducing tippyness.

I cant remember wh makes it but they are making a new sway bar and stearing system fr the firecats, nytro, and some other sled. I wish they would make it for the phazer. Any ways it it pulls the insides shock in oushes the outside ski down, so it willprevent the outside roll and lean you in to the turn.

Hi Cannondale27. Have not tried moving the inside spindle bushings to outside. I think I know which your talking about. In the yamaha manual they call them collars. I noticed the inside one's are narrower and swapping them to the outside would widen the ski stance slightly. Are these the bushings you mean? Great idea to try. I would be tempted to pick up another collar and adapt further to widen ski stance more. Can probably pick up close to an inch. Might have to watch width when loading onto certain trailers or trucks.

I will try this but looking to pick up a slydog ski stopper for the phazer/nytro and see what adapting can be done to get the pilots put on as per redphazer. If not my fall back is to put the pilots onto an 05 MXZ I have that has camplast skis on.

Yes those are the ones.Skibolt goes through them.

Boy my sled is looking rough.Embarassing the care I have given it!Lot of work to do.

Attachments

• SkiStance 003.jpg
    SkiStance 003.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 72
Thanks for photo. Both bushings to the one side would increase it by an inch plus. I'll try that, I was thinking of just swapping sides, which would only increase marginally. If snow ever gets here I'll let you know how well it works for me and my riding style!

You mentioned dirt bike riding style. Other than leaning inside of corner and towards the front is there some thing else I should try?

I've got an email out to 2koolperformance to see if they have any kits for the pilots to phazer or have experience on it. Will update what they give me.

Just dont let off gas totally.Come into corner at same rate as going through it.Get your braking done before corner then once through or slightly before pin it and come out hard.This is on flat higher speed corners with traction.On ice you can slide it nicely around.In bumps it turns better than any other sled I have ridden.Look for bumps and berms and enjoy them at any speed!

Phazerron said:
Thanks for photo. Both bushings to the one side would increase it by an inch plus. I'll try that, I was thinking of just swapping sides, which would only increase marginally. If snow ever gets here I'll let you know how well it works for me and my riding style!

You mentioned dirt bike riding style. Other than leaning inside of corner and towards the front is there some thing else I should try?

I've got an email out to 2koolperformance to see if they have any kits for the pilots to phazer or have experience on it. Will update what they give me.

I've found that I stand when everyone else is sitting and I sit when everyone else is standing. Really hang off the side of it in turns and put your weight toward the front and down. Look where you want to go and the machine will do the rest.

Back