• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Star Suspension Set-up/Results so far?

MCApex44

TY 4 Stroke Guru
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2014 Viper RTX SE (sold)
Just wondering how you guys are making out with the Star Suspension so far. How do you have your sled set up? Have you tweaked the 'suggested' suspension settings? The rear suspension sag is now mostly gone and I feel the ride quality is much improved. Very smooth at all speeds and no bucking/kicking. Maybe a tad bit on the soft side...I might try to go up a click or two on the rear shock clicker.

My results are that I find the sled is perfect except for now I have increased/harder steering effort. It might be because the one change I did (from last season) was I switched out the Pilot skis to the Yamaha Tuner skis with the 4-2 carbides.

My settings are:
Torsion spring blocks set on Medium.
Rear Clicker set on 3 clicks from full soft.
Front rear shock/spring set on full tight.
Limiter strap one hole tighter from stock.
The only 'Star suggestion' I didn't do is that I didn't soften up the front shock springs to level out the A-arms. They are not that far from level but this might be the next thing I do to try to lessen the steering effort.

I'm loving my kit. Have about 100km on it. I'm not a terribly aggressive rider, but it seems to be soaking up the big bumps well. Haven't blitz'ed anything yet with it.

I have everything on soft, front shocks two clicks from soft, rear shock 2 clicks from soft, and rebound is also set in the middle. Torsion springs on soft. I weight 220lbs with gear.

My zip ties on the front 2 shocks seemed to have bottomed, so i might add a few clicks there. The rear shock zip tie has gone about 3/4" travel and feels nice and plush.

All my sag is gone, other than about a 1/2". It rides pretty good so far, but once I hit the actual trails I will know a little better!

I picked up my 2011 xtx from the dealer last weekend with star kit and tuner skis. (I bought the sled new last season and had about 1000 miles on it in stock form before mods.)

The dealer set up front and rear suspension to stars recommendations - front ski shock springs 0 preload, center shock max preload,torsion spring at soft, transfer rods at full minimum and limiter strap 1 hole down from full out. The center shock was sent out to pioneer to have a rebound shim removed and a spacer installed to shorten the stroke 1 inch...again to stars recommendations. Tuner skis have 6/0 bar combo. Widest ski width and stabilizer bars at stiff. I'm 215lbs without gear.

Only rode about 20 miles on trails with minimal base and low snow cover. 5 degrees max temp. Much different rear suspension feel. Better for sure. Minimal sag. What I was looking for. Harshness minimized over small bumps at any speed. Would not say plush. But feels like suspension is actually moving the way it should. Steering feels heavier a bit probably due to snow conditions, new carbides and cold weather.
Great weight transfer but no ski lift around corners under mild acceleration.
I don't recall where the ski shock settings and rear shock compression setting is at...all 3 shocks probably on the soft (fast) side.

I'm looking forward to putting more miles on the set up over bigger bumps at higher speeds and at this point I feel it's just what the doctor ordered...for my liking on my now trail oriented nytro xtx.

Beenba said:
I'm loving my kit. Have about 100km on it. I'm not a terribly aggressive rider, but it seems to be soaking up the big bumps well. Haven't blitz'ed anything yet with it.

I have everything on soft, front shocks two clicks from soft, rear shock 2 clicks from soft, and rebound is also set in the middle. Torsion springs on soft. I weight 220lbs with gear.

My zip ties on the front 2 shocks seemed to have bottomed, so i might add a few clicks there. The rear shock zip tie has gone about 3/4" travel and feels nice and plush.

All my sag is gone, other than about a 1/2". It rides pretty good so far, but once I hit the actual trails I will know a little better!

How does the zip tie trick work? Do you just tighten a zip tie on the shock shaft and see where it moves to judge how close you were to bottoming out?

Yessir! And if they are missing when u get back you know u bottomed hard!

Beenba said:
Yessir! And if they are missing when u get back you know u bottomed hard!

Cool, I will definitely have to give it a shot thanks!! Now we just need some more snow, the trails down my way are shot now! And rain is in the forecast for next week it's not looking good!

just setting mine up now probably a little over 200lbs with gear.... have the center (front skid) shock setup with preload set at about 1/2 way in threaded area (stock spring) only rode around in some powder 24" and some lake rinding with 12" soft snow, and a couple of drop offs from cottage to the lake (about 4 1/2ft drop onto the lake a slow speed to test bottoming....no problems very plush. transfer is good getting front end light. note: stand up rider 95% of the time.

-center shock (completely stock) set in middle of preload threaded area
-rear shock (completely stock) set in middle of both compression & rebound for now
-torsion springs set at medium (with hygear spacers)

should be noted robert at Star Suspensions is awesome to deal with and disscussing setup and product details etc....

will have to redo setup when new shocks are installed next week, and when the trails actually open up for some trail riding testing.

got a couple hundred on mine. definetly rides softer on the studders and such. was able to run torsions on medium, prior it would make it harsh. thats about it. improved for sure, but not a different machine. also did the smaller clutch rollers. that was an excellent mod. will dig that thread up

Well, sounds good guys...glad to hear you are having/getting simlilar results that I have so far. As well as a better ride quality...has anyone noticed increased hook-up out of the hole?

Do you guys find the kit really improves weight transfer and helps lift the skis under acceleration

I have noticed a small bit more transfer with my setup. However I was unstudded last year, and now I am studded - so maybe I am just spinning less.

The kit definitly softens up the rear in the studders and helps in the big bumps too. The chart on their site is no lie, it actually changes the progressiveness quite well. I am on full soft and haven't bottomed yet, and weight about 220 with gear - medium-aggressive 80% sit down rider.

I have logged 300 miles and so far I am happy but it is still the same sled. Greatly improved weight transfer over stock. Way softer in the first third of travel. I still bottom and I have 1900nm springs installed. With 1900nm springs and stock skid with transfer rods on Max transfer there was no ski lift. Now with the star kit I have way more transfer than the stock springs and suspension. I would say it is well worth the $ but it still falls short on ride as compared to other brands.

I guess i will add I am 320lbs with gear and a Backcountry track.

09nytro said:
I'm thinking about this kit myself...what track are you guys running with this kit

Your wanting to go to a 128" track and relocate correct? The one they are describing is for the XTX's...

Back