• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

starter kickback 16 viper

STAIN

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2022 SIDEWINDER LTX GT
Has anyone experienced starter kickback on a 16 and up Viper, or only 14 and 15????

On early models yes, what is the build date ?

Mine is a 14 but I was asking to see if the problem still existed on the new ones. Talking to a dealer today about the Viper starter problem. He agrees that it is poor ECU design and higher voltage to the starter is A cure. BUT he stated they updated the crank sensor pick up wheel in 17 to combat the cold start problem. They changed the spacing on the teeth to give a more accurate reading when the engine spins over slower during cold starts. The CAT ECU has a hard time telling top dead center when the engine is not spun over quick enough during cold starts. A lack of a cam sensor makes the problem worse as the ECU sometimes has to see a full revolution of the engine to determine TDC. Combine cold temps with a slower or inconsistent RPM when starting and the CAT ECU has a tough time getting the timing correct. I would like to see the difference between the 2 pick up wheels. He claimed you have to grind a little off the case away to make it fit in the older sleds.

I guess you know alot about this and have done your homework..,so from experience (dealership) i've seen some early '16 Vipers, and no problems after this, after mapping and directing customers (all years) to change spark plugs and fully charging batteries most issues have went away. Hope this helps.

that's very interesting I have a late 16 and it is hard to start cold or hot My sister n laws 17 CAT has supposedly the same flash but starts much better than mine

Mine is a 14 but I was asking to see if the problem still existed on the new ones. Talking to a dealer today about the Viper starter problem. He agrees that it is poor ECU design and higher voltage to the starter is A cure. BUT he stated they updated the crank sensor pick up wheel in 17 to combat the cold start problem. They changed the spacing on the teeth to give a more accurate reading when the engine spins over slower during cold starts. The CAT ECU has a hard time telling top dead center when the engine is not spun over quick enough during cold starts. A lack of a cam sensor makes the problem worse as the ECU sometimes has to see a full revolution of the engine to determine TDC. Combine cold temps with a slower or inconsistent RPM when starting and the CAT ECU has a tough time getting the timing correct. I would like to see the difference between the 2 pick up wheels. He claimed you have to grind a little off the case away to make it fit in the older sleds.
The whole motor is different than 14,15 and earlier. The early motor is same as Nytro. Never heard of kickbacks in it. The problem is Cats programming and wiring of a inferior ECU. Maybe the new motor doesn't kickback. Lucky if so since if it did it would probably snap a weak rod rather than starter gear!

Mine has kicked 2 times in 2,300 miles, and mine is a later build with the #*$&@ rods.

The whole motor is different than 14,15 and earlier. The early motor is same as Nytro. Never heard of kickbacks in it. The problem is Cats programming and wiring of a inferior ECU. Maybe the new motor doesn't kickback. Lucky if so since if it did it would probably snap a weak rod rather than starter gear!
Looking at the parts diagram, the part number of the stub shaft has changed in 17 but the bearing and housing is the same. Would be interesting to see the difference.
I am in agreement that the ECU is the whole problem
I am running the UCAP with success, just wondering if there is another way.

Back