• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

starter motor?

You know what..There was something on here one time about the starter relays sticking and the starters would stay ingauged and burn up the starter

i had the same issue a couple of months ago. Problem was a faulty starter. the magnets inside the starter had came apart causing the starter to seize up. removing the starter wasnt that complicated. you need to pull the front two engine mounts (keep in mind for when putting back together were the spacers go). no need to undo the exhaust side of the engine. just need to use a pry bar and flex the engine a bit and the starter will be easy to remove.

would be alot of help to have a second pair of hands to flex the enigne while you remove the starter.

nope. you need to remove the belly pan, the oil filter and take out the 2 front engine mounts. then you will be able to flex the engine from the front enough for the starter to drop down.

Did changing the starter motor do it? I have the same thing in my 2009 Vector. Started perfect a dozen times on the trail and stopped to help my buddy change a drive belt on his REV. Went to start it and nothing but a click.

Dealership says bad starter and solenoid, and possibly a one way gear to the tune of I think $1400! No way I am paying that.

Any place reasonable to purchase this starter motor in the States?

Tell me more about the relay sticking. Did your starter stick out during engine running? Relay is cheap. I am sick about the whole thing. Engine popped right over and I am 100% sure the starter was not still engaged.

fxnytro1050 said:
it did work. but Im still concerned of the relay sticking again but so far so good.

My starter relay stuck on and fried my starter, cable harness and battery.

However, I am not 100% sure if the relay or the ignition key was the cause.

Get a starter saver from yamaheater.com ... It could save you some serious money someday..

it was last month sometime at about -25° weatherand I went to a buddys house to wait for him. shut off the sled. when he was ready started best kind without delay. We took a short 5 minute run to the gas station. filled up, payed for the gas came out and no go.
Tryed crossing.it out...nope...so I tryed a few things before I concidered the statter, booster cables, even trying to hit it to se if it would un stick but no go. There wasnt any damage to and wiring/fuses/relays. But when.I removed the starter you had to use blyers if you wanted to turn it. bearings were good inside so it burned up somehow. no sure but it happened and I got a new one off of royaldistributing and so far so good.

Back